Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Minelab XS Advice

Posted by virginia digger 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Minelab XS Advice
May 25, 2016 12:47AM
Need your advice.....have an opportunity to purchase a very nice Minelab XS. Will use it as a back up unit for both relic and coin hunting. I just found out Minelab won't service it should anything happen down the road. Do you think pass or take a chance that it will hold up. Just concerned that the little things like back light for lcd could fail then your stuck. Of course that is marginal compared to other issues.

Thanks for your input !!!
Re: Minelab XS Advice
May 25, 2016 01:11AM
Anytime you buy a used unit out of warranty-- - you are rolling the dice.
Buying a unit that has no support whatsoever-- even a bigger roll of the dice.

But life is short,, play hard.
May 25, 2016 01:39AM
I'd buy that before I'd buy a lot of other stuff. But that's me. Let's say I've developed an affinity for Minelab stuff,no matter how misguided it may be...
May 25, 2016 02:16AM
Make sure the backlight turns on and off easily..

then use it sparingly if at all..

I wouldn't put over 300.00 in a nice XS ..

Last one I bought it was 250.00

Your buying pretty much disposable machine if it goes..though it could last a decade or more still..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
May 25, 2016 02:35AM
I understand Kellyco services them.......If its the first run 99 don't roll the dice, however if its a 2000 then your call....for those that don't know if comes on the screen when turned on..
Explorer XS Advice
May 25, 2016 05:00AM
In my mind, it depends on HOW inexpensive you are talking here. I had a first era Explorer XS. There was a defect with the control housing breaking at the cam assembly where the upper control rod locks in place. Minelab fixed the problem. I don't know if everybody sent theirs in for repair or not. I would check the unit to make sure there aren't cracks in the plastic where the thru pin holds the cam in place. (under the control housing) Also, FYI, the XS' had the 1/8" headphone jack instead of the more common 1/4" jack. I had a Herke aftermarket unit that replaced the arm cup and detector stand and provided a 1/4" headphone jack adapter that worked well.

I liked my Explorer XS a lot, but they are getting up there in age. If the seller is nearby, take it for a test drive if you can and see how it works.

Gonebeepin'

------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one more good target before I go.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2016 05:05AM by Gonebeepin'.
May 25, 2016 05:17AM
'Gone beepin is correct. On something that old regardless whether or not the cracked camlock was replaced, chances are it will crack again due to age.
That's about the only thing you have to look out for. The 3 internal boards don't fail that much but what does "go" is the [ ribbon connector ] inside just under the plastic membrane [ front panel ] and the XS' just fail and don't turn on. There's a Service Center in the UK that still 'services' older XS' models and they can supply new front panels (the top plastic part complete with membrane window) Maybe they can also be sourced in the USA'

I hope this helps.

Des D
May 25, 2016 12:17PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Make sure the backlight turns on and off easily..
>
> then use it sparingly if at all..
>
> I wouldn't put over 300.00 in a nice XS ..
>
> Last one I bought it was 250.00
>
> Your buying pretty much disposable machine if it
> goes..though it could last a decade or more
> still..
>
> Keith

I have one that looks like it just came out of the box there's no way I'd let it go for 300 dollars. If it dies you can order the parts to fix it for around 70 bucks off Ebay.
I've seen Quattros sell for 300-350 dollars and the Explorer XS is twice the machine of the Quattro. In all honesty I think the XS is deeper than the Etrac I had.
May 25, 2016 12:35PM
LOL you are all presuming the poster is talking of an Explorer XS, after all he could be talking of a Musketeer XS or a Sovereign XS smiling smiley
May 25, 2016 03:01PM
Ringmoney Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> LOL you are all presuming the poster is talking of
> an Explorer XS, after all he could be talking of a
> Musketeer XS or a Sovereign XS smiling smiley
Obviously you didn't read the original poster's message thoroughly did you?? He's talking about the back light and other things that are part of a Explorer XS.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2016 03:04PM by 88junior.
May 25, 2016 09:04PM
My opinion. I have never needed a backup. I have owned a few detectors at the same time, but they all did things differently. For example I have never owned two Minelab FBS units at the same time. I have never had a detector fail on me. Maybe I'm lucky. I have sent a few in for repairs for this or that, but the detector still functioned and I chose when to send it in. So here is my opinion. Never buy a detector for a backup. It will stay propped in the corner until you tire of looking at it then you will sell it for a loss.
May 25, 2016 10:44PM
My bad, the advice needed is for a Minelab Explorer XS,