Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Nokta Relic - why do some target signals degrade after digging?

Posted by ncwayne 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Nokta Relic - why do some target signals degrade after digging?
June 03, 2016 01:11PM
I have noticed that some iffy/mixed signals (I call them iffy; you may not) with some mix of buzz and solid tone accompanied by a TID that also jumps around in 20s and 30s but also rises into mid 40s...often degrade to just a broken, buzzy signal when the target is out of the hole. Many times this will be a 22 cal bullet or a small buck ball. Some small pieces of iron will do this, too. It doesn't seem to matter if I am in 2 tone or 3 tone mode as generally only the lowest 2 tones are in play.
This is in low to moderately mineralized soil. These are not cases of multiple targets being found in the same hole.

Are others seeing this? Why is the signal changing/degrading when the target is out of the hole? If you are seeing this behavior, do you view it as favorable, unfavorable, or neither?

I'm not saying I have not seen this behavior with other detectors, but I have not seen this behavior as routinely on specific targets as I have with the Relic.

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2016 01:15PM by ncwayne.
Re: Nokta Relic - why do some target signals degrade after digging?
June 03, 2016 01:53PM
I feel you break the halo which builds up over time depending on the target some halo more and vice versa....
June 03, 2016 08:25PM
What I have found over the years is that high gain high freq. Units hit that small stuff and give enough report to dig...but when you do you end up a object that may be 2 inches deep and flipping a plug out with enough dirt below the target now being on top of the target in the spoil pile to make it a 4 or 5 inch target to the detector..this is when it will disappear..

I do it all the time...when it disappears or gets really weak or even irony sounding in the spoil pile I know it's small..

Most units except high freq. and high gain units won't see those targets to begin with..

It's a double edged sword...dig lots of junk but also dig things very valuable ..like I.d. disc or Corp badges.. insignia etc..in those clean ground sites with not a lot of intermingled items especially in camps there's still some real good targets most machines just call iron or don't even see..on edge goodies too..

I dug a masonic gold ring in a camp ... the shaking hands one..it was clipped in the back..very difficult target....laid in the open for all the years the camp was hunted..4 inches deep...no other targets to interfere with the it...high gain got it..

I've dug many a thin or small or on edge or a combo of all cherished items in sites with high gain high freq.

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
June 03, 2016 10:16PM
Hi Wayne,
I look at it as a good thing. To me, it's like the machine can now get a "good look" at the bad target and report it as such. Hasn't happened to me on .22 brass or lead (the Relic seems to just lock on to those) just on that damn rusty tin/iron. I use my prospecting pick to dig with (like Keith's shovel) and I have found with those "iffy/mixed" signals just a surface scrape of an inch or so really helps to either disqualify/qualify the target. I have yet to dig one of those iffy/mixed signals and it be a good target. That is not to say that I haven't got two distinct signals, good and bad, on the same swing over a target- totally different tones than the iffy/mixed signal. I was out swinging this morning in a really trashy site and had a signal in DI2 that was both "good and bad". I would describe it as a "layered" signal, if that makes any sense. It wasn't "iffy". I could hear both the good target and iron as distinct signals at the same time- one "layered" over the other (lead bag seal mixed in the heavy iron). Perhaps, they were so close to each other my brain just registered them simultaneously? IDK. I'm loving the Relic, though! HH

Dean
June 04, 2016 12:54AM
I have noticed that on .22 also. I have found when I use my foot to scrap the surface if the target still stays strong I get more excited. Seems with me that most .22 cartridges are within the first couple of inches and anything past that is the goodies. Heading out again in the morn for a blistering 90 degree hunt but worth it. Really like this Nokta right up there with my Deus.
June 06, 2016 09:45PM
As Keith said cut a shallow plug and re-scan the hole it will 9 out 10 times clear up the signal..
Sometimes a flake of iron above a pulltab etc.will average to a high coin,,I know you would think it would average down to
say foil but sometimes I guess the tab fortifies an iron false?

------------"Cz's still bad to the bone".------------
Living on a big ass Astroid.
The woman that got my rib,I want it back.
June 07, 2016 12:27PM
I think you are right Keith, shallow targets become deeper when the plug is flipped..... and of course based on your disc some may even be filtered out or disappear completely because they were wrap around tones from iron or minerals. In the water .... normally its more they dropped deeper in the middle of the hole.
June 07, 2016 01:16PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What I have found over the years is that high gain
> high freq. Units hit that small stuff and give
> enough report to dig...but when you do you end up
> a object that may be 2 inches deep and flipping a
> plug out with enough dirt below the target now
> being on top of the target in the spoil pile to
> make it a 4 or 5 inch target to the detector..this
> is when it will disappear..
>
> I do it all the time...when it disappears or gets
> really weak or even irony sounding in the spoil
> pile I know it's small..

Good info here, to be sure, but not sure it's relevant to the condition I describe, as I was using an e-tool, not cutting a plug, and the digging was in stages of removing an inch or two at a time and rescanning until the target was out of the hole.
Most often, these targets, ie, 22 cal lead, were 3 to 6 or 7 inches deep.

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?