Has Nasa Tom done a review on the Nox 800??
May 11, 2018 03:46PM
Has Nasa Tom done a review on the Nox 800??

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
Re: Has Nasa Tom done a review on the Nox 800??
May 11, 2018 08:22PM
Lawrenzo,

No. He can't, unfortunately. As a tester, speaking about most of what he knows is verboten, per Minelab's NDA.

Steve
Re: Has Nasa Tom done a review on the Nox 800?? Is Keith testing it???
May 12, 2018 02:36AM
Seems wrong if you're a tester, that you can't voice a breakdown on the machine. I'm most interested in what five freq running at the same time can do for masking and thin deep silver or buttons. I know Tom designed the CZ3D and that used two freq but in no way for me was even close to a relic machine. So many users are loving the machine but no one reports on a new machine like Tom does. Was wondering if he thinks it is a better machine than the impact?

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

May 12, 2018 03:25AM
"No one reports on a new machine like Tom does..."

Very true, Lawrenzo. Unfortunately, he's gagged, for the most part...

Steve
May 12, 2018 04:43AM
Kinda rare to find a "tester" that is free to say what they like or dislike about a particular model. Even prior to the internet, magazine Field-Tests became more of an advertisment. Now lots of Tube videos are selectable commercials. Dont really blame them..... I mean to get paid to metal detect or get free equipment (agreeing to only use their brand). Its getting more difficult to find "real" Field-Tests. This Forum has so much great information. Thanks
May 12, 2018 08:55AM
There's loads of real cheap Impacts about the UK at the moment, and CTX's, i'm thinking of picking an Impact for my daughter, but the weight might be too much. Seems some folk have tried the Nox but have jumped back to the Deus.
It's all a bit confusing lol

Lawrenzo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Was wonder
> ing if he thinks it is a better machine than the i
> mpact?
May 12, 2018 05:48PM
steveg Wrote:
> Lawrenzo,
>
> No. He can't, unfortunately. As a tester, speaki
> ng about most of what he knows is verboten, per Mi
> nelab's NDA.
>
> Steve

Cheap insurance against adverse reports for Minelab, I guess. Offer respected users free machines and essentially gag them during the rollout period.
May 12, 2018 06:01PM
It's easy to put a negative connotation on the DNA and I too initially felt the same way. However , considering the poor supply , I think Tom , like Daniel Tn , may be showing a lot of class by keeping his evaluation close to the vest until more 800's are available , instead adding fuel to the fire by running around piling praise on it like so many of the promoters.

If so , my hats off to both of them.
May 12, 2018 07:39PM
Tom may have been more than just someone who received a machine..... I think he stated the hold up was because of him. That told me he contributed not just tested. Thats the big wall id say.
May 12, 2018 08:25PM
dewcon4414 Wrote:
> Tom may have been more than just someone who recei
> ved a machine..... I think he stated the hold up w
> as because of him. That told me he contributed no
> t just tested. Thats the big wall id say.

Yep
May 12, 2018 08:33PM
My decision to buy the machine would be easier if I could read one of his reports (Tom's.) I read Keith's testing but he has so many detectors that I'm not sure if we hunt the same way. Oh well, I do think that the Nox with the smaller coil may make a big difference with iron hunting. I was a tester for the impact and read Tom's views after I tested it and I agree with him on that machine. He doesn't go crazy over too many machines. Come on Minelab let the hounds free

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

May 12, 2018 08:43PM
So your saying..... the real tests are not revealed until After everyone has bought one....i.e. "rollout-period" ....mmmm......this could take awhile.
May 12, 2018 08:47PM
No what I'm saying is Tom tests differently than most testers, it would nice to read about his thoughts and his tests.

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

May 12, 2018 09:37PM
Sorry Lawrenzo, I was asking about what Dubious wrote above your comment. I agree....Tom's test results are worth the wait. Very complete and balanced. Thanks
May 13, 2018 01:25AM
Lawrenzo Wrote:
I'm most interested
> in what five freq running at the same time can do
> for masking and thin deep silver or buttons.

I'm pretty sure it is still a two frequency simultaneous machine. Same as all the other Minelab multi frequency detectors.
May 13, 2018 04:43AM
Same deal with the whites v3i release, all the feild testers lips were sealed shut.
May 14, 2018 04:23PM
Dubious Wrote:
> Cheap insurance against adverse reports for Minelab, I guess. Offer respected users free machines and essentially gag them during the rollout period.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that most people that field test a detector for a given company, are not doing it for the "free" machines, as I'm pretty sure most have solid jobs and would just buy the machine if they wanted too when it was released. I suspect the motivation for many is the ability to be the first ones to get their hands on an interesting/innovative detector, and to have the ability to help mold the detector into a better machine.
May 14, 2018 04:49PM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
> Dubious Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Cheap insurance against adverse reports for Mine
> lab, I guess. Offer respected users free machines
> and essentially gag them during the rollout period
> .
>
> I'm going to go out on a limb and say that most pe
> ople that field test a detector for a given compan
> y, are not doing it for the "free" machines, as I'
> m pretty sure most have solid jobs and would just
> buy the machine if they wanted too when it was rel
> eased. I suspect the motivation for many is the a
> bility to be the first ones to get their hands on
> an interesting/innovative detector, and to have th
> e ability to help mold the detector into a better
> machine.

That and they don't usually get to keep the machines. They are test machines. They test them and then have to send them back.

Nox600, CTX, CZ21, Excal II and White's DF with 920i stealthscoop...I live and hunt at the beach in Wilm NCsmiling smiley
May 15, 2018 02:07AM
I tested two machines from different companies and was allowed to keep my testers with no strings attached. Did I do it for a free machine...no. I was interested in how our hobby is moving forward with a new machine. In fact when testing the impact I didn't like the machine and had no explanation how the programs were designed. I was way behind the other testers untill I was given more info on the programs and then it clicked and there was no turning back. I still have my test unit and think it may be deeper than some of the newer units because it blew my deus away. When you think about the 800 and it being able to hunt underwater and have the five freq working at one time and offering the higher freq that a lot of users find on the Vista Gold Gain as a way of digging better in iron you have to wonder how did they do it for 800 bucks?

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

May 15, 2018 10:31AM
Now that the yellow headphones are out........ im waiting to see what other people think about the machine in the water......most curious about their finds. Not certain the testers got to test the machine neck deep. It was a last min. when one of the guys finally got a pair of yellows...... by then the machine was a done deal. Low-boy..... yes i keep waiting for the other shoe to drop..... whats the catch on that price? Accessories seem to be reason as well. Volume obviously was key and being able to make a lot of the components themselves like the boards. You kind of have to think thou ...... was it good marketing ...... or SNAFU that keeps selling them. Im wondering the cost of repairs? I guess you figure..... it costs $500 or so bucks to throw away that handle and give you a new one........ thats still a pretty good deal. I suspect most of the issues will come from us water guys..... hot, cold, wet, salt, and torques....... and lets beat that screen around a bit with the scoop huh?
May 15, 2018 12:06PM
Again, folks often forget the big difference between marketing test units and engineering/development test units.

When a detector is under development and nearly ready for final release to production, outside testers with solid credentials are invited to use the machines. They are typically furnished specific instructions on what and how to test the units. Their comments are carefully considered and a series of updated units or software may be sent to the tester. All this happens under non-disclosure agreements which prohibit the release by the tester of any information about the testing process or results. Typically, the test units are returned (but not always).

Marketing test units are production (or late pre-production) units and are sent to “influencers” and “content creators”. These are the folks who are expected to publicize and talk about their experience with the unit. These units are usually kept by the testers.

in the case of the Nox, it has become quite evident that major changes were made late in the development based on input from engineering field testers. Tom was likely one of these. It is clear why a manufacturer would not want details of the tester’s feedback released, even if the design was modified to address a shortcoming - still less if nothing could ultimately be done about the issue prior to production release.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
May 17, 2018 02:21PM
Only the Shadow knows.
May 17, 2018 03:56PM
doc holiday Wrote:
> Only the Shadow knows.

You're showin your age doc!grinning smiley
May 18, 2018 10:57AM
I sure wish that Tom wasn't a tester for Minelab so we could benefit from his honest and thorough opinion about the Nox. I'm still waiting for more honest opinions from users who know what they're talking about before pulling the trigger on the Nox. So far it sounds like a good detector, but it ain't all roses by a long shot.

tabman
May 18, 2018 11:45AM
tabman Wrote:
> I sure wish that Tom wasn't a tester for Minelab s
> o we could benefit from his honest and thorough op
> inion about the Nox. I'm still waiting for more h
> onest opinions from users who know what they're ta
> lking about before pulling the trigger on the Nox.
> So far it sounds like a good detector, but it ain'
> t all roses by a long shot.
>
> tabman

So, I guess no one else can give their honest and thorough opinion and don't know what their talking about. Well, except for you of course, right?
May 18, 2018 12:26PM
Supernaut66 Wrote:
>
> So, I guess no one else can give their honest and
> thorough opinion and don't know what their talking
> about. Well, except for you of course, right?

I don't think that's what tabman meant.

While some of the opinions given are indeed honest and thorough, they don't carry as much weight and are not as valued as one Tom would give.
Even though the "giver" thinks they're an expert, they may not be.
May 18, 2018 02:02PM
Haha

Dave_e just disagreed with Supernaut66's assessment...then in his explanation for why he disagreed, he confirmed exactly what Supernaut66 had assessed. Haha you can't make this stuff up any better.

I'm convinced that it's just part of today's society in which people can't form their own opinion or thoughts anymore. They believe what they are told to believe. Me personally, I read Tom and Keiths posts and consider their opinion, but I can make a decision on my own and don't need someone to tell me whether I should like this or not like it. That's just me though. I'm independent that way and always have been.

I'm a conservative, gun owning white male that works for a living. Everything I am and everything I enjoy doing is disliked by the majority in today's time. So I'm used to being disliked and being in the minority.
May 18, 2018 05:31PM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
> Haha
>
> Dave_e just disagreed with Supernaut66's assessmen
> t...then in his explanation for why he disagreed,
> he confirmed exactly what Supernaut66 had assessed
> . Haha you can't make this stuff up any better.
>
> I'm convinced that it's just part of today's socie
> ty in which people can't form their own opinion or
> thoughts anymore. They believe what they are told
> to believe. Me personally, I read Tom and Keiths
> posts and consider their opinion, but I can make a
> decision on my own and don't need someone to tell
> me whether I should like this or not like it. Tha
> t's just me though. I'm independent that way and
> always have been.
>
> I'm a conservative, gun owning white male that wor
> ks for a living. Everything I am and everything I
> enjoy doing is disliked by the majority in today's
> time. So I'm used to being disliked and being in
> the minority.

I'm not sure you understand Daniel.

Supernaut66 wrote, "So, I guess no one else can give their honest and thorough opinion and don't know what their talking about. Well, except for you of course, right?"

I explained that people can indeed give their honest and thorough opinion, but that they do not, in fact, necessarily know what they are talking about. Those 2 things are mutually exclusive.

Many old guys on this forum have been detecting for a long time but their level of understanding of metal detecting can't hold a candle to Tom's; therefore, Tom's "thorough and honest opinion" would hold more weight than theirs.
That's why a lot of people wait to hear from Tom, Keith, and Steve before making a large purchase. Not because they are sheep, but because they are here trying to gain knowledge about detecting.

P.S.
Congrats on being a conservative, gun toting, employed, white guy. There are so few of us around. :^\
I doubt you can relate to anyone that is truly in a minority, but I can indeed see why people dislike you.

At least you're loud, and like to say things with conviction though. Keep up the good work there mustard tiger.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2018 05:33PM by dave_e.
May 18, 2018 11:27PM
Love is blind....manufactures count on it. Wasnt too long ago that many jumped on the Garrett At Pro wagon and insisted that nothing was wrong with it. Only to later send it in after the falsing issue was addressed. Im not saying this is the case with the Nox. Im saying it has happened to other models.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2018 11:41PM by Arkansas.
May 19, 2018 11:16AM
dave_e Wrote:
> Supernaut66 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> > So, I guess no one else can give their honest an
> d
> > thorough opinion and don't know what their talki
> ng
> > about. Well, except for you of course, right?
>
>
> I don't think that's what tabman meant.
>
> While some of the opinions given are indeed honest
> and thorough, they don't carry as much weight and
> are not as valued as one Tom would give.
> Even though the "giver" thinks they're an expert,
> they may not be.

Well, I'm a new to this forum. But, if it's the same "tabman" from Tenn. that's on the other forums in the Tesoro sub-forums for years, He meant every word of it. I would not take that guy's advise on how to throw a detector in a fire. Most of us know whatever he say's seems to be almost copied, word for word, right off Tesoro's website. I don't care if someone has been detecting for 50 years, that don't make them an expert at it, and you can usually tell that with their "expert" replies and advise. It's either what tabman himself say's or you are not doing it right because he know's it all. Just odd that he's waiting for someone else's opinion because his opinion is the only correct one on the other forums ...lol