Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Power Balance, Tejon

Posted by William Monday 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Power Balance, Tejon
July 17, 2016 11:15PM
Just purchased this detector and am having trouble power balancing, can not get the hang of it...Is there a video showing how it is done out there somewhere. Does not seem to be one on youtube...
Re: Power Balance, Tejon
July 17, 2016 11:36PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiKd555l9N4 at 8:40 mark keith southern has a video on power balancing the tejon

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2016 11:47PM by skinner.
July 18, 2016 02:47AM
Try ground balancing normal and then turn the ground balance counterclockwise between 1/4 to 1/2 turn.

Rick
July 18, 2016 03:52AM
Get you a good ground balance in pinpoint...not clicking into all metal but just use the fast retune pinpoint.....to do this pull trigger to go into pinpoint.. adjust threshold to steady barely audible hum..then bob coil up and down and ground bal. as normal..

Using the regular all metal mode to ground bal is to annoying in any sort of minerals the retune speed is too slow...

once you Have a good balance flip back to disc and set to nail reject..

Bob coil like your ground balancing...As you do turn the ground bal Knob CCW unit you hear some NOISE coming in as your bobbing..Once the noise starts slightly Go CW till it stops and leave it ...A DD coil can get you further into the CCW range if the soil is harsher..

I like the 5x10 in bad soil..

The pinpoint will not be of much use Now as you will probably be half a turn too CCW or more...but a Tejon really doesn't need pinpoint..

Bury a 10 inch dime for reference then watch how the power balance will change the depth of the Tejon...form a proper all metal ground ball to a power balanced Disc mode..

the power balanced disc mode will hear the dime the proper balanced usually wont..

Also look up my video on the CZ and power balancing..it will show the CZ takes to power balancing very well..

It can be an eye opener for certain sites...

In my soil if I have a manual ground bal unit that carries over to disc I always Power balance and never even use the all metal..it will become second nature..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2016 04:03AM by Keith Southern.
July 18, 2016 11:16PM
Keith when you power balanced the CZ3D it falses on every target high toning it. In a clean area that may work but it would drive me nuts. Another question for you is why the heck is the Tejon such a pain in the arse to ground balance compared to say the Vaquero?
July 19, 2016 02:10AM
The Tejon isn't hard to ground balance. Like Keith said us pinpoint to ground balance. You can also ground balance in disc. To do that ground balance in pinpoint and then start turning the ground balance counter clockwise in disc till you get a tone when you lift the coil. Then back it off.

Rick
July 19, 2016 03:27AM
Yeah Morgan you have to find the sweet spot you can get away with on a CZ..

The Tejon is easier Ground balanced in Pinpoint as it's a faster retune,,That's why I said use that mode...

I usually have no trouble balancing a Tejon in our soil..The Vaquero is a Fast retune and it balances easier than the Tejon as it does not have as much gain and its also on a lower freq and not quite as Reactive to mineral sens.

I also power balance the Vaquero..

Tesoros have a little bit of what that call Mineral Rejection built in..and by that it means when you set the ground bal in all metal the disc mode if it carries over is slightly more positive to calm down the Noise of mineral especially on a 180 Disc circuit..The tejon is not like that as its all metal setting does not shift slightly higher in Disc mode like other Tesoros..winking smiley

This built in mineral rejection helps to smooth out some Noise..the old school metal box tesoros like the eldorados were actually noisy in Disc mode when all metal was set perfect..they could be quite noisy till maybe half turn CW was applied to the ground bal while in disc mode..

Tory X5s act like a Tejon and older Tesoros when you set a X5 on dead ground bal. all metal and flip to disc it can be quite noisy till you increase the ground bal. slightly. positive then it takes care of the noise.

DDs calm this noise down alot..5x10 is a Winner on a Tejon and also on a X5 in our soil..

Some Early Tejon's were also plagued with limited ground bal range and suffered in some areas by not being able to ground bal to that soil..I had one it was awful ..but it was a early release model..But in good soil it was a Depth demon..

Most of the Euro machine like Deeptech and GMP and Blisstool and older mak/noks do not have all metal modes so you in essence power balance them every time you set he ground ..because you are balancing to the Disc circuit ..SO they will seem deeper than some counter parts at times. on side by side test.but if you also say Power balance a tejon or a X5 etc you cna get right back there with them in depth..

a simple comparison would be a tejon on 17.6 Khz...and a GMP on 17.6 kHz...Ground bala Tejon in all metal to perfect and a GMP in disc to no noise on bob..see which ones deeper?? the Xp will be....but then power balance the Tejon in disc to no noise on bob and watch what happens they will see about the same depth..Tejon might be slightly deeper..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla