Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Safari versus Explorers

Posted by Dan-Pa. 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Safari versus Explorers
August 06, 2016 02:42PM
Any thoughts opinions pro or con....
Re: Safari versus Explorers
August 06, 2016 02:59PM
Depth is the same. Safari got a bad rep because it followed the slooooow Quattro. Safari is easier to understand.
August 06, 2016 04:04PM
goodmore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Depth is the same. Safari got a bad rep because it
> followed the slooooow Quattro. Safari is easier to
> understand.

safari is way underrated.

Nox600, CTX, CZ21, Excal II and White's DF with 920i stealthscoop...I live and hunt at the beach in Wilm NCsmiling smiley
August 06, 2016 05:14PM
First of all no Ferrous numbers to go with Conductive even though has a bar type graph at bottom. Doesn't have adjustable Modulated audio. It doesn't have a Tone I.D. Option like Etrac. Also locked in the pre-set Modes as far as a Quick/Iron mask pattern's so you can't open up the screen. Also many other options. It's a poor man's Explorer/Etrac.
August 06, 2016 07:21PM
And it is a silver hound. Wish the CTX had that distinct sound of a Safari 39.
August 06, 2016 07:28PM
Champ Ferguson Wrote:
> And it is a silver hound. Wish the CTX had that
> distinct sound of a Safari 39.

The Etrac can be adjusted to sound really good on silver.-----Does the Safari have a better "sweet silver sound--warble" than the Etrac?----I've always been curious about this question--have never owned (or even used) a Safari.----------Del
August 06, 2016 07:58PM
D&P-OR Wrote:
> Champ Ferguson Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > And it is a silver hound. Wish the CTX had that
> > distinct sound of a Safari 39.
>
>
> The Etrac can be adjusted to sound really good on
> silver.-----Does the Safari have a better "sweet
> silver sound--warble" than the Etrac?----I've
> always been curious about this question--have
> never owned (or even used) a Safari.----------Del

Wish I could say, Del. I've never used an Etrac. Interesting question tho that I'd like to know the answer to as well.
August 07, 2016 02:43PM
I used the Safari for dry sand & wet sand salt water Beach Hunting for 2 seasons, Deep, light weight, swing it all day, Good Target ID, especially on deep targets, easy to use, Runs very Stable, immune to EMI, ID Numbers lock on (no Jumpy ID's)

I was very surprise on park hunting with the safari on how great the Pinpointing was, dead on with the stock DD coil, On season 3, I sold the safari and got a Etrac, Ran the Etrac for 1 month and sold The Etrac, I got another Safari.

The Etrac was just to heavy for 4 + Hours of Beach hunting, I saw no Depth advantage........ Also ......... The Safari has pretty slow Recovery speed, not a big issue for Beach hunting.where Targets are spread apart.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2016 04:14PM by Rob in (ca).
August 07, 2016 04:37PM
Rob in (ca) Wrote:
> I used the Safari for dry sand & wet sand salt
> water Beach Hunting for 2 seasons, Deep, light
> weight, swing it all day, Good Target ID,
> especially on deep targets, easy to use, Runs
> very Stable, immune to EMI, ID Numbers lock on (no
> Jumpy ID's)
>
> I was very surprise on park hunting with the
> safari on how great the Pinpointing was, dead on
> with the stock DD coil, On season 3, I sold the
> safari and got a Etrac, Ran the Etrac for 1 month
> and sold The Etrac, I got another Safari.
>
> The Etrac was just to heavy for 4 + Hours of
> Beach hunting, I saw no Depth advantage........
> Also ......... The Safari has pretty slow Recovery
> speed, not a big issue for Beach hunting.where
> Targets are spread apart.

That's interesting Rob--thanks for your response.------Beings you have owned/used both the Safari & Etrac---Did you note much difference in the tones of the silver coin "hits" on those two detectors?----In other words---did one detector have more of a "sweet" silver tonal quality than the other (on silver coins)?-------I know some say the Explorers have a better silver "sound" (warble) than the Etrac.----I haven't noticed much difference in that regard between the Etrac & Explorers----but maybe that's just me.------Just curious what your thoughts are in that regard between the Safari & Etrac.----------Del
August 07, 2016 05:35PM
I'm Suprised you find Safari lighter. It might be a little,But the Etrac is balanced better due to the grip being moved back 15 degrees or so. To Me it is balanced better, But everybody's arm is different.
August 07, 2016 05:45PM
Indeed ergonomics, sweep motion, arm strength and arm length all come into play....Guess that why manufacturers can't please us all..
August 07, 2016 06:59PM
I Don't have a lot of Etrac time, We all know The Etrac is a proven Coin machine, one of the best out there, if there was a detector hall of fame, the Etrac would be front stage.

Back a few years ago, I was at my local beach and noticed a lot of locals all were hunting with Safari's, so I tried one and just liked it.
August 07, 2016 07:12PM
Dan-Pa. Wrote:
> Indeed ergonomics, sweep motion, arm strength and
> arm length all come into play....Guess that why
> manufacturers can't please us all..

I would love to know the arm size/strength minelab was using when they made the excal lol...do even divers use that stock setup?

Nox600, CTX, CZ21, Excal II and White's DF with 920i stealthscoop...I live and hunt at the beach in Wilm NCsmiling smiley
August 10, 2016 04:18AM
My e-trac is much more comfortable for me to swing than my old Explorer XS. Better grip angles. Don't recall the weight differences between the two. I used both with an X-1 pinpointer up until a few years ago when I had some shoulder problems. I still miss the benefits of the X-1's target ID ability, but enjoy having less weight to swing.

I've used the Explorer XS, Explorer II and the e-trac. I've not had the opportunity to run the Quattro or the Safari.

Gonebeepin'

------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one more good target before I go.
c t
August 11, 2016 01:53AM
Had a safari had a quattro had an etrac and an xs also an se pro all had the same depth the quattro ran better than the safari just sounded better however my choice of the all is an origional explorer xs the best fbs machine !!!! following versions exp II exp se exp pro all lost something as improvements were made in following succession its a shame the xs was and is the best of minelabs fbs line i also liked the sov xs with the solid coinsearch coil same story later versions lost something in the so called improvements hope this helps HH c t
August 11, 2016 07:56PM
Im with Harold....... watered down Explorer once you learn the Explorer. NOTHING sounds like an Explorer on DEEP silver. Took me about a year of intense hunting to have the light bulb come on to the deeper targets. There is a nack to it. So out of the box the ET reduced the learning curve........ but still lacked the silver tone. I dont know....... for me the Explorer was without a doubt deeper where i was using it. When the Explore SE first came out with that slime line coil........... man that was a dog. The older models 10 coils were to die for. So many switched to the SEF.....then came the Pro coil which matched it...... well except for that crazy price difference.

Dew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2016 08:03PM by dewcon4414.