Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

VIDEO: AT Gold & Sovereign Elite...real world red dirt

Posted by Daniel Tn 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
VIDEO: AT Gold & Sovereign Elite...real world red dirt
August 05, 2016 09:56PM
Okay okay so I decided to have some fun today. I got up early and loaded the truck down with detectors. I was hoping with the recent rain we have been having, to find the ground in favorable digging conditions. I pulled into my site and the grass was up even to my truck hood in some spots. Not what I was expecting...just a couple weeks ago, it was barely even with the top of my shoes. I know you guys get tired of seeing fired Civil War bullets but that is all this site offers and it is a great testing ground for detectors. Sadly, it's life is numbered. The landowner passed away a few years ago and the daughter inherited it. They have decided that the 30 acres is too much land for them, so they are selling it for a subdivision. The survey markers were already in place on this trip. So now a site that has been a great testing ground and a place with no rush to dig stuff on it...has became a site with a quickly approaching expiration date.

So here is the run down.

I know how the soil is here at this site. It brings VLF machines to their knees. Pulse machines work great in it though as you will see and hear the GPX having no troubles at all. That is why it is my bird dog machine...I hunt with it and locate bullet signals and then break out the other machines to test. Think of it as a 150 year old test garden.

Biggest surprise was the Sovereign. Here at the house it has been doing great in the test garden. But I said something in Keith's BBS thread that it had occurred to me that maybe the soil at my new house isn't bad. This confirmed my thoughts. I ended up digging 9 Civil War bullets from depths ranging from 5 inches to 10 inches. I never got a signal on any of them with the Sovereign with both the 10 inch and 12x13 coil. In one clip, you see and hear the Sovereign struggling to give a signal on a bullet in the dirt pile with just an inch or so of soil on top of it. That's some nasty red dirt and I hope you guys see just what it can do to a detector. Here at the house, I have a fresh buried minie at around 8 inches in the ground and it gives a sweet signal on the Sovereign.

The AT Gold is no slouch on depth either. It is like so many other VLFs though....deeper bullets will give an iron signal, so you have to really watch your iron disc. Most of these bullets came in at a ID reading of 3-4 while in the ground. You can hear how smooth and good they sound in all metal mode though...that is what makes me like this machine better than the AT Pro. That true all metal mode is not on the AT Pro.

Oh and as a bonus, at the end of the video is a clip of the MX Sport down at the same site a few weeks ago when the grass was much lower. You can get a glimpse as to why I liked it so much...compared to the other two machines, it handled the red dirt pretty decent I thought. Still able to give a good signal on in ground bullets.

Here is the video. The video quality is not the greatest; gonna have to find a different video editor. The one I have now, that is the best quality it will save a video file in. Let me know what you guys thoughts are and if you Sovereign/Excalibur guys have any suggestions, please feel free to give them to me.:

[youtu.be]
Re: VIDEO: AT Gold & Sovereign Elite...real world red dirt
August 06, 2016 01:01AM
Dang Daniel that is some Hot Ground!
If my ground was that hot I would move.LOL!
August 07, 2016 04:08AM
Hey Daniel in that soil if you run the Elite like you run the GPX you'll dig some deep bullets..

Flip over to all metal..and notice how smooth the threshold is..that's where the advantage will come from ..it will hold a smooth threshold...nails will sound wah wah and a deep bullet will sound round..

cross check in disc if you cant here it you better dig..

I have some pretty bad ground albeit its usually red clay..but I've dug thousands of DEEEEEEP bullets over a foot with 8 inch coil and all metal..

once you get good with the all metal on the BBS you may find you don't need the GPX...it will hold smooth to the dirt...if it doesn't your dirt is beyond bad..

Plus you have an excellent tool to work in disc mode in tin and iron infested sites to pick out brass and silver..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
August 07, 2016 05:28AM
I don't know about the Elite, But the GT is PITA because it has an Iron mask switch with and on and off positions But even with it on the off position it still runs in the background and the machine nulls out And the more Iron in the ground the worse it is, In my junk filled sites over here I tried 9 different coils of all different sizes and nothing would let that machine run in the Disc mode from travelling all over the country the GT never found big copper or Silver coins very Deep, that are about the best beach machine next to a PI, But the GT and the Etrac was pretty much useless in Iron based soils and Iron infested sites, I Changed over to the MXTs over 6 years ago and I found Gold Silver and stuff 2000 years old in the same spot where my GT walked over, I normally stake out and area with pegs and string so I know I had done the place at leased 5 times and yet first day with the MXT on the first swing of the Coil I found a heap of Gold in just one 4 foot sweep, Down about 3 to 5 inches,, The GT should of found that,

Single frequency machines like the AT Gold and the MXS and the MXT will out run that Sovereign, with their aggressive tracking and High Gain, Those things can hear a mouse fart at 20 paces.

You did a Great Job on the Video if you don't mind me saying, Enjoyed That.

Well done mate,

John
August 07, 2016 06:18AM
Where's "over here" John?------Don't want to know your hunt area(s).smiling smiley----Was just wondering where you are from (country/state)??----BTW, I'm from OR!winking smiley
August 07, 2016 06:37AM
D&P-OR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Where's "over here" John?------Don't want to know
> your hunt area(s).smiling smiley----Was just wondering where
> you are from (country/state)??----BTW, I'm from
> OR!winking smiley

I'm an Aussie Living in London UK, I have been over here for a few years coz Jr is in college here,

John.
August 07, 2016 07:22AM
Hey that's neat John.----It's a "small world" now-a days isn't it!-----Seeings as how we can all come together on a Forum & discuss detectors, detecting equip., hunt areas, m.d.ing problems, m.d.in success---many, many detecting related topics.-----It sure is different/better than it was even a few years ago.----We get a "hiccup" on the Forums once in awhile but overall they are great.----I'm rambling & didn't mean to hi-jack this post/thread.smiling smiley-----Thanks for your response.--------Del
August 07, 2016 07:37AM
D&P-OR Wrote:
> Hey that's neat John.----It's a "small world"
> now-a days isn't it!-----Seeings as how we can all
> come together on a Forum & discuss detectors,
> detecting equip., hunt areas, m.d.ing problems,
> m.d.in success---many, many detecting related
> topics.-----It sure is different/better than it
> was even a few years ago.----We get a "hiccup" on
> the Forums once in awhile but overall they are
> great.----I'm rambling & didn't mean to hi-jack
> this post/thread.smiling smiley-----Thanks for your
> response.--------Del

No worries Del, I actually took my GT and the MXT back to OZ back around 2011 and the GT was hard work in that read dirt, but the MXT didn't like but turned right up but run it around 10 and it did the deed and I did find a couple of nuggets but it dealt with the hot Aussie Dirt, Even when the GND was way up high,

But it is way different from detecting over here, and it is a lot easier to cover the miles on the internet than 27 hours on a plane,

john.
August 07, 2016 01:28PM
Keith -- I think that the Sovereign anomaly is going to be a very site specific thing. At my house, there is red dirt everywhere with the rusty iron looking rocks like what you showed in one of your latest videos. It isn't the best of soil but the Sovereign does very well in it. I actually got a BIG high tone signal in the yard yesterday while playing and the AT Gold said nothing was there at all. I started digging just to see what it was and at nearly 2 feet deep, I find a newer aluminum Pepsi can smashed flat. It must have been from the excavators when they built up the pad for my house and they just covered it up. Even the coins and minies I have buried in the yard are all obtained by the Sovereign and I have some of them deeper than what I was finding the real world minies Friday. The dirt at the bullet place is very much like the dirt that gets so much talk from Culpeper, VA. It's almost the same stuff with a lot of white quartz rocks mixed in with it. Some machines struggle there with what I call "cold rocks". They give a "boing" sound on some detectors...like the ground is very negative or "cold" compared to the surrounding ground and the detector needs balancing over that particular spot/rock. The F75 and T2 were two of them that did that there. The trouble is...going to new sites and figuring out if the ground is like what is at the bullet place or if its going to be OK like the dirt here at the house. I have two books on the Sovereign/Excalibur. One by Clive and one by Gary D. I picked up on the all metal "reverse" hunting that Clive talked about in his book. I did try that on some of the bullets down there but still didn't hear a signal, null, or anything with either coil that I had. I went with the bigger coil due to covering more area when I head to the beach this fall. The AT Gold really pounced on them in its all metal mode. I do think 10 and maybe 11 inches is about all it can do in the soil here with the 8x12 coil in its all metal mode. It would be interesting to see if it picks up any depth with a 12x13 size coil but I'm not going to spend $150 to find out. If it is like the others; I would assume 1-2 inches at most. It is nose heavy as it is; a bigger coil would only make that worse. I did see they are making a straight shaft for them now though; but they are expensive.

John -- The MXT Pro with ground grab, done an OK job down at this site. But only with the DD coils. I had a guy come up from Georgia one time that called me out on the forums after I had a bad review of the MXT while at that site. This was back before when they first came out and came with the 950 coil and no ground grab; you had to balance it then lock it with the toggle switch. He told me I was just too dumb to run the machine. So I invited him up and he took me up on it. He had the 950 concentric coil on his. After about a half hour, I had a handful of minies with my machine and he had nothing. He pretty much accused me of already having them in my pouch and that I hadn't found them there. I just so happened to have one marked I was getting ready to dig and I pointed at it with my foot. He swung his machine over it and said nothing was there. I let him hear it on my machine and he watched me dig a bullet right there in front of him. I did this to him 2 or 3 more times in a small area and he finally went and sat in the truck frustrated. BUT in the time since then, my uncle had gotten an MXT and was using it with the 6x10 DD coil. He came up to hunt and wanted to try the bullet field and it did much better than the 950 coil. A year or two ago, I had the MXT Pro and a 13" Ultimate coil on it. I took it there and dug a few bullets with it but it had a hard time staying balanced. Much like the MX Sport was down there; it could give a good signal and even a good ID on the bullets once you had them prelocated. BUT to actually hunt with it, it constantly had to be balanced. Before the pulse machines started becoming popular for relic hunting at the Diggin in Virginia relic hunts here...the MXT was the most popular machine in the fields. And 99% of them had the 6x10 DD or the larger DD. I dare say that machine has found more belt plates than all the other machines combined at those hunts; but in all fairness, they are still hunting the same sites and the MXTs had first crack at them for several years before the pulses came on the scene.
August 07, 2016 02:37PM
I guess a Nautilus would be useless in that ground?
I'm glad I got "Wussie" ground or I would have to lay out
5G's to find anything. Man that's a lot if cash for a Detector unless in gold country, and even then I would
have to be finding a lot of gold or use a original Fisher GOLDBUG 1 or 2.
August 07, 2016 02:55PM
Harold -- If your 5g is in reference to price of a GPX, you are about $3,200 off on the high side. You can get the GPX 4500 new for $1800 or so now. The 4800 is a little more at around $2200. They've all came way down in price and have been that way for the last several years. I gave less for my GPX than what people are asking for the CTX 3030 used on the forums and it came with 2 coils.

As far as the Nautilus. You are correct. We've ran 3 different ones...the IIb, the IIba, and the lesser known IV that ran at 4khz. I had the bright idea that a lower khz machine would do better in the soil. It did not. But in better ground it went really deep. My buddy Jeff had the IIba and dug some super deep eagle buttons with his in some of our better dirt sites. BUT this was all back when we were still trying to get machines to hunt in disc mode. I have no idea what one would do if you just listened to the all metal channel of it. I have a friend that has a IIba that he doesn't use...I may borrow it and take it down there for fun and see just what it can do in all metal.
August 07, 2016 03:10PM
That would be cool if you could make a video of IIBa comparing it maybe in more favorable ground. I don't know how you would do it without a speaker though?
Speaking of PI Detectors how does the Whites TDI do in that Hot ground? A lot cheaper for people with Hot ground on a budget.
August 07, 2016 04:15PM
I am surprised some folks here,,,haven't requested Daniel dig some of the dirt in his sites and sent it too them.

Surprised Keith don't have a test bed with some of this stuff,,,to do videos with.

Thanks for the video Daniel.
August 07, 2016 05:07PM
I would love to have a hunk of that Ole' Hot ground!
August 07, 2016 06:27PM
Hey Daniel..

I know the dirt you are in... we have it on tops of hills around here in higher elevations

throw a quarter on the ground and you can't hear it..

red powder dirt...P.I. reigns supreme there..I can take P.i.s into those sites and make button finds and bullet finds the VLFs wont touch and the BBS and FBS wont work on..

I think that's why you dont see alot of BBS or fbs in those hunts you go on in Culpeper..

Luckily my dirt in the rest of the areas around here is mineralized up to 5 bars or more at times but it its not that powder..its usually clay...

and for some reason the BBS and FBS love to hunt in that red clay..

What I have found is the BBS and FBS work well in that inbetween dirt..the kind that slows up a VLF but makes a P.I. overkill and cumbersome to use..

I can take a BBS or FBS and use it in most of my local sites and dig as deep in disc as I can as having to take a VLF and run a threshold based all metal...

For some reason a BBS or a FBS is a godsend in that in between dirt..Like you have seen in your yard..

And also they work well on the Salt beaches ...

its just that super condensed red powder that shuts them down..

I wouldn't get rid of that Elite Daniel just on the account of the bullet ..

it has so many other uses that will be of benefit to you especially in habitat sites and the dirt will be different there usually .It's an awesome powerful tool to have..but yes i don't use a FBS or BBS around her in that powder dirt..

Thats also one for the reason I backed off the high dollar P.I.s ..I have to go out of my way usually to hunt sites that requires a P.I.in my soil..And I found a Infinium or TDi is fine and alot less expensive for those rare hunt's..

In the areas I frequent I can use a 5900 and get great depth in all metal and still have some disc at some point of the dig..or even a F75 all metal and such...and reverse discriminate..Lots easier than using a P.I. for the most part and getting about the same depth with a threshold based all metal mode..

when I do venture on the hills which is rare I use a TDI usually..But I have to admit the Infinium is really really hot on buttons in that red powder hill tops..

the only other thing in allmetal I can use in that powder dirt is a 5900 and its threshold gets warbly..and a F75 in allmetal and watch the I.d. and dig 11's and above when I get some dirt out of the hole on a round deep hit..f19 does pretty good up there too on the hills but not real power for punch..The Relic all metal side is not very powerful either and disc shuts down like any VLF up there..

The F75 needs to be improved uponwinking smiley

But in a nutshell use what works for the soil your in..

and BBS and FBS works well in that transition soil..its a great tool for above VLF but below P.I. requirements ...

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2016 09:46PM by Keith Southern.
August 07, 2016 06:39PM
I wouldnt ever run the Sovereigns with Iron mask Off..

It will mask targets like no other..and null constantly even in decent dirt..

Turn it on and it will be allowing the machine to HEAR iron as burps..and by doing this it is allowing for Unmasking to happen...

Its sounds backwards i know but the scene is backwards too LOL!!

And also on a GT and also the First run Sovereign they had the Tracking and fix and pinpoint...the Pinpoint is alot deeper than the track and fix mode..that's why they dropped it for so many models because the pinpoint mode was WAY deeper..and no one used it..

I think they brought it back on the GT as a sales angle to sell to prospectors..I guess it would be ok for small tiny nuggets in all metal abut it has no depth..

My GT will not hit anything in track in my test bed but tears up everything in pinpoint..

Funny the first runs Sovereigns had the same stuff the GT had at the end..they dropped the trac and Iron mask switch since no one used the Iron mask off and no one used the trac function in allmetal..only to bring it back again at the end..

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
August 07, 2016 07:29PM
Yeah Daniel Some folks just can't be helped, The MXT is a Great Machine and it is a hot one on fine shallow Gold using the 5.3 coil because the 5.3 does not see enough of the Ground to cause too many problems, and it is just common sense to use a DD when thing warm up, What it means is you were well versed in your machine and the local conditions,, You can get away with using the 950 in junk filled sites, I even found that Gold using the 12" / 300 Coil in a very heavily junk filled site and it did hit coins in the 12 to 14" range, Not the Ideal coil but it was the first time out with the Machine, But Red Dirt is an unruly beast even at the best of times,

DANIEL & KEITH

As Keith ( You ) point out using the BBS in All Metal mode does give the GT/Elite a lot more freedom to go deep, For me that is not an option because here I can hit 20 - 30 - 40 targets in one sweep of the coil, So my experience is based on setting the GT just to knock out Nails with ZERO Notch and the Iron Mask Off, It is a Great machine but totally useless for the environment that I hunt, And listening to the spiel of the dealer didn't help either, Back then the best Machine for the job was the Musketeer Advantage, but having sold that to get the GT was not such a good Idea, and the E-trac was a joke in such places which is why I moved to the MXT 300 and then the other models, And the MXT was running rings around anything else out there.

If you can get the GT / Sovereign in to a clean patch of dirt it will go very deep even in the Disc mode, because I once dug a little toy Knight that is about 2" tall with the base plate missing ( but it was in the Hole ) AT 17" and it was loud like a 5 to 6 inch coin on the GT, I tested 9 Coils out on the GT and the best small finds coil was the 5x10 Coiltek Joey followed by the 7x12 Coiltek Platypus Coil, none of the SEF or Detech Round Coils could match them and the 10x12 sef had the worst shaped detection field out of all the coils I tested. But it is not surprizing that the Coiltek coils were the best for the GT because they use to make all of Minelabs coils before they started making them in house.

Thanks Guys.

John.
August 07, 2016 09:09PM
Harold -- The TDI and Infinium handle it pretty decent too. The Infinium was many people's first pulse machine. The DD coils for it DO NOT work good in the red dirt though. For some reason the mono design coils work the best for it. That machine with an 8" mono coil will go pretty deep on buttons. The TDI would be my 2nd favorite pulse machine. It doesn't go as deep on bullets/plates as the GPX but I personally think it does best on brass targets...buttons and small brass cannot hide from a TDI. The trouble with the TDI is the love for deep nails. On the first generation TDIs, it seemed like the SAT was slower on them and it made it easier to tell the difference between a deep nail and a non ferrous high conductor. The newer model TDIs are smoother running; they have tweaked the threshold on them, and from what I could tell, they sped the SAT up. Now it is MUCH harder to tell the difference. Case in point...the guy I mentioned before that had the Nautilus IIba....he has about 12 detectors right now. A month or so ago, he bought a brand new TDI. When I went to buy the AT Gold, he rode down with me so that we could run by the bullet field on the way home.

I brought the GPX with me to do like I always do with locating bullets then seeing how the other machine does over those targets. He was wanting me to show him how to set up the TDI and I got him off and running but he was digging a lot of nails, fence staples, and pieces of fence wire. I tried to show him the difference but even I had a tough time with it. He finally put it in the truck and was going to help me out because I was dragging the AT Gold around while swinging the GPX. I turned him loose on the GPX after a quick crash course. He took to it like a fish in water. The next week, he texts me and wanted to know if I could ride down to the detector shop with him to pick up his GPX. He referred back to the hunt at the field and noted how much easier it was for him to tell the iron from non iron on it. So he had to have one. The depth edge is another reason why so many prefer the GPX over the others at the DIV hunts. I have a double whammy to contend with...I have the soil here that is bad and when I go on the DIV hunts, I have to deal with it up there too. Now days I only go to a DIV once ever couple/few years but it is still nice to know you have a machine where you aren't behind the 8 ball. The interesting thing is; from what I understand, the last couple DIVs have seen a surge in people rehunting the hut sites and places loaded with ration can pieces and square nails...they are taking the high freq unmasking machines into those areas and squeeking out finds. Similar to what I did last year with the F19.
August 07, 2016 09:19PM
Keith -- I am going to hold onto the Elite for a while. Like you said, it does good in the "in between" soils that are still too hot for other VLFs to perform in. Plus, I'm afraid this beach trip in a couple months will not be the last. I wont lie...I hate the beach but the wife loves it. So I figure it will give me something to do while she lays on the beach. I've found an 8" Tornado coil for a good price that I am going to buy. Still thinking on getting one of Ron's $60 meters for it just to have one. I can hear the difference in the tone; especially with headphones on, but it would be fun to see some numbers if I get the wild hair to go after some coins. I am probably going to sell the AT Gold for now. I only got it to water hunt with and thus far the waters here are snake, leech, and snapping turtle infested, and void of relics. I can think of some areas with water where I COULD probably find relics with it but they are off limits due to either TVA or the national forest. So I will stick to land.
August 07, 2016 11:10PM
Hey Daniel hang on to it ..keep it in the arsenal..There will be a time if you let it go say a few moths form now that you say MAN I could use that Sovereign right here right now..

in these Southern house sites loaded with junk and tin and big iron Ill promise you if you use it for nothing else but cherry picking it will snag plates out of these sites..

I promise you that..Small price to pay for expensive cherished finds..It loves Confederate brass...I've dug a couple of those Confederate clipped corner Militia plates associated wihtt he GMI institute.Both past a foot in hunted hard yards ...and US Ovals aren't even a problem..Breast plates DEEEEEEP..Cast I Buttons 10-11 inches or so just slams them..

yet it will do so much more..

would I want it as my only detector???No..But it's a very relevant tool to have for deep proper I.d. and exceptional iron disc and also a Silver killer ..

Really should be a keep in the stable unit...I'm about to the point of just needing the Infinium Sovereign and the Relic...everything else is Repetitive for my needs..

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
August 08, 2016 02:26AM
Keith is right about keeping the Elite. There is a reason I've been using the Sovereigns since they first came out for ghost town hunting in bad ground. I also use the Whites 5900 and Minelab Advantage. I've been using these 3 detectors for years in iron infested sites. The only other detector to peak my interest has been the XP detectors like the Goldmaxx Power and Gmaxx. I lost patience waiting for either to come up for sale in the States so I just ordered the Deus . I'll have to wait and see if it can replace the Advantage for my fast detector in iron.
August 08, 2016 02:47AM
Advantage is one bad boy detector..

It has pulled me some stuff out of the nastiest iron sites imaginable...it will give an ear bashing like no ones business...probably the noisiest machine I've ever ran in iron and single tone to boot...but get the sputters and ticks and clicks down it will flat out dig..

I remember once finding a confederate cavalry camp and hunting a loaded iron spot in with alot of the best iron site units about 12 years ago..then went in with the advantage and dug a Mississippi cavalry Unit Engraved Martingale..Sounded a little better than piece of flat iron...turned out it was valued at 6k dollars..and for some reason I have dug more tin back Confederate buttons with the Advantage than any other machine to date,.

5khz and DD...loves crown caps..ever find a machine that loves crown caps and you have a Tin back button killer...

the Advantage would always pull a goodie or two out of iron on 65khz and fast response it was very unique and also very deep to boot..

I like to keep one on standby for a different attack on site at times..

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
August 08, 2016 03:03AM
Haha, yeah you have to have your mind right using them in thick iron. Use one for about 6 hours in thick iron and your ears will still be buzzing the next morning. They will suck the goodies out of the iron though so it's worth it sometimes.
August 08, 2016 03:05AM
Keith Southern Wrote:
> Advantage is one bad boy detector..
>
> It has pulled me some stuff out of the nastiest
> iron sites imaginable...it will give an ear
> bashing like no ones business...probably the
> noisiest machine I've ever ran in iron and single
> tone to boot...but get the sputters and ticks and
> clicks down it will flat out dig..
>
> I remember once finding a confederate cavalry camp
> and hunting a loaded iron spot in with alot of
> the best iron site units about 12 years ago..then
> went in with the advantage and dug a Mississippi
> cavalry Unit Engraved Martingale..Sounded a
> little better than piece of flat iron...turned out
> it was valued at 6k dollars..and for some reason I
> have dug more tin back Confederate buttons with
> the Advantage than any other machine to date,.
>
> 5khz and DD...loves crown caps..ever find a
> machine that loves crown caps and you have a Tin
> back button killer...
>
> the Advantage would always pull a goodie or two
> out of iron on 65khz and fast response it was very
> unique and also very deep to boot..
>
> I like to keep one on standby for a different
> attack on site at times..
>
> Keith

The Advantage is way more sensitive than the GT, I found a tiny bit of lead with it that the GT could not see no matter what coil I used, and it really hits hard on coins and loud too, The sheer loudness of the volume made me start using Grey Ghosts,

John.
August 29, 2016 03:01AM
Excellent Video Daniel, Well done!

Finally had a chance to view it a few minutes ago, and just registered a few minute's ago as well. Had to register under a new name, registered under my birth name.

Your dirt is similar to my relic hunting soil, deeper good conductive targets ID in iron range. Also, I'm enjoying the AT Gold I purchased from you, it's a keeper same as my MX Sport both do well in all metal mode and both fare about the same on depth.

But the GPX is still my favorite for tough dirt, has its place when VLF lack depth.

Good job on the video, and thanks for the good deal with the AT Gold.

Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2016 03:02AM by Apolonio (CA).
jrk
August 29, 2016 09:25PM
This thread is fantastic.
I don't have red soil in my tough to hunt old homestead, but, it's light brown in color, but full of rocks. The result is ETrac and CTX run very low...sens below 10 in some places.
I assume this mineralized dirt, or it might be some EMI as well...not sure.
Already spoke to Keith, but I'd love to try this Sov GT, or best of the models, to see what happens.
For that matter, I'd like to try Daniel's 4500, but there is quite a few old square nails and other iron, don't know how much I'd be able to diff between good and bad quickly.
So, seems to me if I knew what type of dirt I had, I could make a better decision.
Anyone have any idea about Lewisburg WVA? If I had my soil tested, knowing content, would that help better know and better decision?

Forgot to ask...Daniel, how would you compare your brief use of the CTX in your test house dirt to the Sov? Little more punch with the latter, or similar?

Randy

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2016 09:55PM by jrk.
August 29, 2016 09:54PM
Nice video Daniel! I have had 3 GT's over the years and have regretfully sold them all chasing the Etrac and ctx(s). My favorite coil, and one I haven't heard anyone mention yet, is the Coiltek 5x10 in iron rich sites. I think that larger coil probably hurt the sovereign more than it helped in that bad TN dirt! I've hunted around Manchester with a buddy and found pockets of dirt that bad and other areas not bad at all. Thanks for sharing the video!

Walt