Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

A few thoughts on the Xp Deus

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
A few thoughts on the Xp Deus
September 04, 2016 02:01AM
With several hours now under my belt with Deus,,,and quite a few hours using some other detectors that perform well in the iron.

Deus audio IMO is better than even the stock headphones can provide to the human ear.

Running audio report at least to level 5 does help IMO.

Also,,even though the Deus is a great separator in iron,,,,take the 9" coil,,,this is where a shortfall can be had.
What do I mean by this??
It is very hard not to get an optical illusion when sweeping,,,meaning targets can be missed.

An example,,,just yesterday,,I got a target,,only a 2 way signal,,,,but the coil had to be centered precisely over the target.
Depth of target when dug,,,,a mere 2" deep-- piece of lead.

So even just overlapping sweeps when hunting in nails pits--- this won't do.
Meaning the center of coil actually needs to come over all the ground,,,,not the coil span,,not even half the coil span,,,much ,,much, much smaller.

Most other detectors with this coil size,,,just can't see these targets,

Something else here for folks to ponder,,,in the example where I dug the extremely shallow nonferrous target,,,one might think a smaller coil on another detector would indeed alert on it.
Maybe so,,maybe not,,,,this particular target,,,Nokta relic smaller coil a no go for anything tone wise I would even consider digging.

But hold on,,,,I have seen it the other way too,,,I dug one of the bigger flat buttons a mere 3" deep using Nokta relic smaller coil,,,Deus was blind.
Happen to be a monster piece of iron not allowing the Deus coil to be even close to centered over the button,,,hence all iron tone.

The lower conductors mixed with iron,,,Deus sees more I think and actually alerts,,,but an op had better be concentrating on the clues provided.

Folks with bad hearing,,,Deus may not be the best choice in sites like this,,,if expecting to pull all the nonferrous the Deus will detect.

It is both an enjoyable learning exercise and surprising to see,,,just how many nonferrous targets are still in a site,,,,even when you think you have gotten all with previous hunts..

It is also interesting to spend a little time,,before digging on disovered targets like this,,,to see if I can draw a conclusion at the the "why" behind why the target wasn't discovered on previous hunts.

So Deus user hunting in heavy iron,,,the key is the center of the coil,,,,this is where some nonferrous targets must be,,,for the Deus to alert on,,,even shallower one sometimes.
Re: A few thoughts on the Xp Deus
September 04, 2016 03:06PM
Could be the way you have it setup. Could be your dirt. Maybe too much reactivity I use three at the most. Sometimes in iron you have to bring down the sens to maybe 50. What is you disc? What is your sweep speed. So many reasons some machines miss targets

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
September 04, 2016 03:30PM
Lawrenzo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Could be the way you have it setup. Could be your
> dirt. Maybe too much reactivity I use three at the
> most. Sometimes in iron you have to bring down the
> sens to maybe 50. What is you disc? What is your
> sweep speed. So many reasons some machines miss
> targets

One of the luxuries of rehunting sites many, many times,,,,things get noticed that other wise might go unnoticed.

Sure settings could be a player here.

But what I notice this isn't about not having " detectable settings",, but coil position.

It is not the detector that is missing targets,,,,rather detectorist (coil positioning) can cause targets to be missed.

In a super polluted site of nails and iron,,,,just how many circles of say 1/2" diameter are there,,,or 1/4" diameter???
And add to this,,,this tone provided not a " shout out" tone I call it,,,so even if you have settings correct,,,and coil positioning and sweep speed,,,op still has to hear the " clue" tone.

And the many different permutations involved with all the " single point extremely small" spots of possible detection,,,,and then throw in direction of required coil movement required for detection into this equation.

From an odds perspective,,,sure coin size targets or bigger more forgiving,,,but smaller targets--- the odds for detection go down tremendously.

And then there is besides target size,,,target's shape,,and it's orientation.
September 04, 2016 04:42PM
Tnss do you think the deus coil maybe has got a smaller tighter receiving area to help with separation?
September 04, 2016 05:27PM
ghound Wrote:
> Tnss do you think the deus coil maybe has got a
> smaller tighter receiving area to help with
> separation?

A very good question.

My opinion on the correct answer here.

Yes and no.

No,,when it comes to targets not masked"

Yes when it comes to targets that are masked.

And this is the reason,,the Deus even with 9" coil does so well with separation/ unmasking.

Now,,saying all this,,I could be dead wrong.

It could be the way Deus works internally,,,gives the appearance of what I've said above.

For whatever reason,,,maybe a better way to express ( answer your question) is Deus doesn't seem to saturate as much as many other detectors,,,hence allows nonferrous signals to sneak through.

And some of these signals,,,far from textbook,,some not textbook tone wise,,,some targets' signals just bleed through (partially),,,providing very small clues that something nonferrous is there.

And it seems target conductivity a player here.
Why do I say this??

My experiences reflect,,,,this seems to happen moreso with mid and lower conductors.

Have had it happen extremely few times with higher conductors.

Clean hits with Deus,,,I call these no brainers.

Something for folks to try in old sites that have loads of iron and nails.

Get in your site,,,keep you feet positioned,,,,and just sweep back and forth,,varying speed,,and just letting your arm's reach (somewhat) allow for additional coil coverage over the ground.

Listen to the music the Deus is playing.

Any notes stick out???
Even small.
Any tones that are numb sounding???
Any tones that are lower but don't have the rolling sound???

This audio report level,,,I consider important,,,go level 5 or higher,,,modulation here I consider s no no.

Folks should be conscious of ground coverage,,,,but even moreso conscious of "center of the coil" coverage.

I think folks,,,folks newer to Deus,,,consider and try the above.

Some key settings to try

Sens anywhere from 85-95
Disc anywhere from 0-3
Full tones
18 kHz
Tx power 1 or 2
Reactivity 2-4,,,silencer -1

I have been even more conscious as of late,,,when bearing down with Deus.

What I'm seeing,,,I do 4 sweeps back and forth before moving my feet--- when hunting in areas laced with iron nails.
With some arm movement going on,,between coil passes,,,some coil progression( minute) is gotten,,,,,it I instead moved my feet,,,,I would over advance coil--- hence up the odds of missing a spot.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2016 05:37PM by tnsharpshooter.
September 05, 2016 01:14AM
I have found when I slow way down in carpets of nails in 18khz, full tones, TX 1, 3 reactivity sense at 85 the non ferrous hits tend to bleed through and let me know they are there. I go as slow as if I'm searching for old deep coins with my ctx. Works well for me. If all else fails get on your knees with your pin pointer and start removing nails. Be surprised how many old coins I have found doing that.lol
September 05, 2016 03:13AM
ghound Wrote:
> Tnss do you think the deus coil maybe has got a
> smaller tighter receiving area to help with
> separation?

No that's not the issue, It is more related to the type of coil he is using,

DD coils have Dead Zones within the first 3 to 4 inches where fine surface litter and Iron cause the machine to either signal on the junk or blank or ID good targets as junk, This is why I only use DD's as a last resort if the ground is too hot, It is well known that DD's will ID flat Iron as a good Target But this Dead Zone is a major problem with DD's

HH,

John.
September 05, 2016 06:00AM
Had a couple of these units.
It indeed seemed as if there wasn't a sweet spot on the coil for surface targets.
To me other units with 6" or 5" coils were a lot easier to run in dense trash.

It however got me the most jewelry out of the trash, it also picked up every bottlecap known to man.
Even the ones the romans tossed,.. just kidding.

HH
Johnb