Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Anyone using the newest MXSport?

Posted by basstrackerman 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Anyone using the newest MXSport?
September 29, 2016 04:51PM
Im just curious who is using the newest MXSport after all updates .. How is it working? Any complaints? I was told it has modulation just like an MXT now.. Any opinion would be great. Thanks
Re: Anyone using the newest MXSport?
September 29, 2016 08:19PM
I am hesitant to reply. Brings back too many memories of going round and round...and round with Whites, the Sport, and its, shall we say, issues.

But you asked and here is my opinion of the machine that was returned to me on Sept 14. This is the unit I had originally received on July 15 with the original issues plus the inoperative "+" button.

The "+" button now works (yea)

It is my understanding that the audio modulation still does not work in any meaningful manner. Also my understanding that Whites considered this issue inoperable. They could have tried to fix/change it but it might have adversely affected other aspects of the machine's function. That's what I was told. Could be a dodge, I don't know. I've not tried using audio modulation; i don't need the aggravation, and I don't expect it to be any different than it was before. What I'd like to see is for Whites to come up with a fix for the audio modulation/VCO issue(s) within the 2 year time frame of the warranty and offer to fix it upon return of the machine to Whites. Will that happen? I doubt it.

VCO. The good news is I can now hear a difference between VCO on and VCO off. The bad news is the implementation is really odd in that the tone itself does not change, but rather is accompanied by a separate tone that does change with distance, but only begins when the coil is very near the target to begin with. I cannot see any benefit to using VCO on the MX Sport.

Iron Grunt. I have not yet tried to isolate the Iron Grunt feature and test whether it is worth using.

So far, I've only mounted the 5.5x10 DD coil on the latest MXS. It's balance is quite good and forgives a bit of the heftiness of the unit. I don't know why I would want to go back to the stock coil. I've done some coin and jewelry hunting at the camp where I have permission. It's found the two silver halves, a silver quarter, a merc, and a junk krugerrand pendant, to name a few finds, and these were found over ground that has been hard hit with the F75, Racer, and Deus over the past 2 years.
That's not to say that they would not have found them eventually, but it just might be that the MXS has something a little different going for it.

I used the MXS for relic hunting (in relic mode) in some woods adjacent to a cornfield the farmers call the minie ball field. I met a fellow at the spring JGD hunt in Culpeper who told me he used to live in Greensboro and detected this very spot years ago. i did find a 58 cal round ball and a buck ball as well as numerous modern bullets. My first recovery was a .177 pellet at about 3 inches!

My overall impression of the MX Sport is that it is a good all around machine with plenty of sizzle. Both the depth and separation seem to be more than adequate. A sleeper feature might be how well it works in areas where EMI is a serious problem for other detectors. At least, that's my experience, so far.

Edit: Tom Boykin PMed me to say I might be confusing AudMod and the hum with the included headphones (only when backlight is set at 1 thru 4 and turned on) regarding White's leaving it alone rather than opening a can of worms that might affect other aspects of the detector's performance.
So take my remarks re AudMod with a grain of salt. Tom suggested I try it and see; he thinks I will be surprised at the difference. I will get back out soon and put AudMod to the test.
Another point of clarification is that I have only tried VCO in the Relic program which uses mixed mode audio. It may be a different experience using it in All Metal or Prospecting, as they do not use mixed mode audio.

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2016 04:21AM by ncwayne.
September 29, 2016 08:39PM
thank you Wayne... maybe i will wait longer
September 30, 2016 01:34AM
Good write up, I look forward to when you have had time to put it through all of it's pace's

Thanks,

John.
September 30, 2016 08:57AM
I have the older one. I took it to an area where I found 9 .69 cal CW bullits about a year ago with a AT Pro. Since then I I gone over that same 25'X25' are many times with the AT Pro, Nokta, and the EuroTek Pro, None found any more bullets. So, my first hunt with the MX Sport did produce 2 more .69 cal bullets. Luck? Don't know but they both were semi iffy signals in the trash. I think it pulls coins out of modern trash better than the Original Fors Core.

That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. lol
September 30, 2016 05:14PM
I enjoy reading many of these "non emotional" posts on this machine.