Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Holy cow!! MX Sport

Posted by Detectorist 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Holy cow!! MX Sport
October 01, 2016 12:15AM
Didn't have time to detect today so I decided to do a bit of testing.. buried a clad U.S. Quarter at about 11.5". Poured some water in the hole, covered it up real well and pounded the dirt until it was more or less even with the surrounding ground.

So I grabbed my 'defective' MX Sport, left it on the coins and jewelry program with sensitivity at '4'. I wasn't expecting anything special. Swung once, swung again and I was able to get a good two way coin signal! The TID was iffy but the signal was good!

I've had many detectors and the only other ones that could do this were the Troy X5 and the original Explorer.

To say I'm impressed is an understatement
Re: Holy cow!! MX Sport
October 01, 2016 12:51AM
I don't think you understand,,,your detector I believe has correct software.

Granted it has cracks in the face plate.
October 01, 2016 01:07AM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't think you understand,,,your detector I
> believe has correct software.
>
> Granted it has cracks in the face plate.

Thanks. Is there a deeper mode that works well for relics?
October 01, 2016 01:22AM
Detectorist Wrote:
> tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I don't think you understand,,,your detector I
> > believe has correct software.
> >
> > Granted it has cracks in the face plate.
>
> Thanks. Is there a deeper mode that works well for
> relics?

Yes,,relic mode.

Turn SAT to around 4-6.

Try relic mode on your 11.5" deep quarter.

Even try it at SAT level 8.
October 01, 2016 01:47AM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> Detectorist Wrote:
> -----
> > tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > I don't think you understand,,,your detector
> I
> > > believe has correct software.
> > >
> > > Granted it has cracks in the face plate.
> >
> > Thanks. Is there a deeper mode that works well
> for
> > relics?
>
>
> Yes,,relic mode.
>
> Turn SAT to around 4-6.
>
> Try relic mode on your 11.5" deep quarter.
>
> Even try it at SAT level 8.

Thanks.
October 01, 2016 02:30AM
I'd stick to c&j. Relic mode audio is a hot mess.
October 01, 2016 02:58AM
You must have not owned a Fisher CZ.
October 01, 2016 04:02AM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> You must have not owned a Fisher CZ.

If you're talking about me, yes I have. 3 of them. 2 CZ-5s and a CZ-20. The CZ id stopped at about 6-7 inches.
October 02, 2016 03:17AM
Sounds like your CZs were lemons.
October 02, 2016 09:10AM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> Sounds like your CZs were lemons.

Sounds like you don't know what you're talking about. The CZs of my time ID most targets deeper than about 7" as iron in My ground.
October 02, 2016 02:29PM
I've not had any of the newer CZs (the First Texas ones). But I have owned 3 over the years. My 3 were from the Los Banos, CA era. I actually didn't use one of them; I happened to find a brand new 1021 serial # one and bought it to resell for a little profit when I saw that people were favoring those models. The other two, one was a CZ-70 Pro and then just a few years ago, a forum member here sent me his CZ6 to revisit in testing. All that to say...my results mirror what Detectorist is saying about the ID, on all 3 models that I've had in my hands. Actually I would say that 6 inches would be too generous of a figure in the ground. My results were more inline with 4-5 inches for decent ID and then it went all iron ID. I had a CoinStrike at the same time I had the CZ-70 and actually hunted them quite hard. I kept the CoinStrike because it was better in the ground. I believe this marked the time frame in which I began lugging 2 detectors around with me and signal checking every target I found before I dug. Very time consuming.

Back to topic. The MX Sport is pretty good at retaining its depth in ground. I saw the same thing with it here; one of my first posts about it were noting this very thing. It opened up a whole new range of depth for me. It is similar in depth to the MXT Pro with 10x12 coil except with more accurate ID in bad ground. With the coils they have for it now, they have a good grasp on making it a versatile machine.
October 02, 2016 05:02PM
Well in My ground with My CZ-3D I have dug silver easily 10-11" with High tone high coin's. Been detecting 16 years 15 With CZs. I ain't No newbie Yuppie! I know there are others here who will agree.
October 02, 2016 05:11PM
I agree. Harold,ILL ain't no newbie Yuppie!

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
October 02, 2016 05:43PM
I keep forgeting about the Ole' Hot Ground factor. Man don't anybody on the Forums have Moderate to Mild ground? Tom D. Himself test them in His Mild ground after calibration. So they will Hit a dime over 6" if working as they should. But that is in Mild to Moderate ground. I even got a Merc. Buried at 11" in a test garden at My Sister's as She has a bigger back yard then Me . It Hits it easily with High tone high coin with a ocasional bounce to zinc. But not iron. Maybe if I can figure out how to film it with My phone will do a Video to prove it and even dig it up. My Etrac will also Hit it with a Sunray 8" Coil but with a clipped signal but numbers rite on.
October 02, 2016 06:01PM
ncwayne Wrote:
> I agree. Harold,ILL ain't no newbie Yuppie!
>
> Wayne
You got that SH** rite! LOL.
October 02, 2016 08:42PM
Responding to Harold's message below. Guess I goofed with the reply button.

I used to think I have nothing around me, locally, but mild ground. Wrong! It opened my eyes when I started burying targets in my hunting grounds and they disappeared at 4 or 5 inches. Some detectors do better and some do worse. And it's something you can't quite get a grasp on without trying them, firsthand, in your dirt.

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2016 08:45PM by ncwayne.
October 02, 2016 08:51PM
I know what works in My ground.
October 02, 2016 09:45PM
Everybody needs to take a chill pill and take a deep breath.

The key point to learn in all this feuding is simply: what works good here might not be the best for over there. There's not one "do it all machine". Where people get in trouble is not being open minded enough to realize that fact. It is a tough pill for some to swallow. Everybody has their favorite pet machine and some get mighty defensive when others say something negative about it. I've been around long enough to have seen this play out many times on the forums. But it's true. I've been fortunate enough to have been able to travel to many states and metal detect in them. I've been from Virginia to Florida and most everywhere in between (except South Carolina). I've ran into many different soil conditions and types and seen first hand what differences it makes. I've dug in sandy loamy soils with Tesoro machines and old Fisher 1265-1266x's and had them go over a foot deep with GOOD signals on coins. And I've been in the ground where the same machines couldn't pick up a coin beyond 4 inches.

Myself...I am far from being a know it all and am not above learning. A true know it all will have a closed mind to everything and will say that nobody else can teach them anything. There is still a lot to learn and a lot of the country and world to explore. My trouble is, I like to help people. I think that is going to be toned down quite a bit on my end. Some things, people are better off learning on their own anyway. I will stick with posting hunt stories and finds on Facebook. Audios.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2016 09:51PM by Daniel Tn.
October 02, 2016 10:37PM
I guess I'm a little Hard headed. But I still won' t listen to someone unless they have at least as much time in as Me. Is that wrong maybe. Like the guy at the Gym telling you how to work out when they can't even bench 2 plates. Is it wrong Yes but I am what I am.
October 02, 2016 11:09PM
Can't remember all the silver dimes I have dug in the 10-12 area with various models of the CZ...Sometimes its the nut behind the wheel kind of thing...
October 02, 2016 11:17PM
Dan-Pa. Wrote:
> Can't remember all the silver dimes I have dug in
> the 10-12 area with various models of the
> CZ...Sometimes its the nut behind the wheel kind
> of thing...
Thank you. I am sure there is ground like Daniel has and Detectorist that No VLF Machine is deep in. But for the other 80% Or so CZs rule for pure raw depth.
Just like We can't understand there ground they never hunted with CZs in are ground. So they could learn something too.
October 02, 2016 11:40PM
Same ole same ole......Everyone knows "Different grounds, Different Sounds". Seems like the subject keeps coming up (annually) as we have to be re-set/reminded.

In my test garden my cz3d 1021 can go 9" deep max, high tone on a dime.....that's a deep hole when you look down into it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2016 11:44PM by ozzie.
October 03, 2016 01:44AM
The funny thing is,,,my oldest coins found--- 4-6" deep.

In my area,,,I think depth of coins may be over exaggerated,,,moat.y due to higher soil minerals,

I hunted last week with a friend who post here only ever so often,,forum name Curbdog.

This site,,,appeared to never have been hunted,,,I was finding 1913 and 1928 coins at a mere 3-4" deep.

Soil was black like worm dirt,,but the ground seemed firm.

My friend hunted the week prior and the coins he found were the same time frame and at depths si I already to mine.

His Nokta relic was honking in this site,,,,was both trashy and had quite a bit of iron and nails.

Yards,,I don't think coins are that deep,,,plowed fields maybe so,,and on terrain where dirt has been added or moved.

Besides,,I am not about to turn down a $1 gold coin just because it was only 2" deep.lol
October 03, 2016 02:19AM
I do not know how this tread turned from MX Sport to s CZ post but in N.C. And Va. Central piedmont area I have dug many CW bullets over 12" deep. No exaggeration. Maybe milder soil than you hunt. Ever since 1991. These are from a CZ 6a Los Banos machine just to be exact. Iron masking is the real limitation on these machines more than mineralization from what I can see...Stuart
October 03, 2016 02:28AM
My ground isn't hot, by any means. I'm just reporting what my 3 CZs did way back when. Early to mid 1990s. 2 CZ5s and a 10.5" CZ20. Some folks here report dime finds at 12". None of mine were even able to air test at 11", much less 12". Well, I have to see to believe. Just remember, there may be other factors involved such as type of mineralization.
October 03, 2016 02:29AM
October 03, 2016 02:31AM
If you havent already seen it, take a look at Tom D's article in Fisher Intelligence about soil conditions/sinking targets - [www.fisherlab.com]
October 03, 2016 02:41AM
Well for what it is worth My CZ-3D is a Tom tuned model.
It will "Air test"a Dime at 12.1". I have had a Couple CZs hat wouldn't do a Dime 10". So that probably Helps. An my ground is mild to Moderate. My CZs all ground balance to about 4.5.
October 03, 2016 02:45AM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> Well for what it is worth My CZ-3D is a Tom tuned
> model.
> It will "Air test"a Dime at 12.1". I have had a
> Couple CZs hat wouldn't do a Dime 10". So that
> probably Helps. An my ground is mild to Moderate.
> My CZs all ground balance to about 4.5.

That explains it.