Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Tesoro Tejon

Posted by Detectorist 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Tesoro Tejon
October 25, 2016 11:07PM
Are the newer ones better performers?
Re: Tesoro Tejon
October 25, 2016 11:19PM
Depends.
My experience with Tesoro in general, and the higher gain units in particular, is that it's the 'luck of the draw' as to whether or not yours is special.

They all perform to a minimum standard of course, but some are better than others.

I got lucky and picked up a particularly good/hot/stable Tejon some time ago. It happens to be an older one, but I've seen newer ones just as good.

mike
October 25, 2016 11:39PM
The one's built after the outlaw release seem to be very very hot and very very stable..

pre outlaw can be hot yet noisy ..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
October 26, 2016 02:24AM
How can you tell the date your Tejon is made?

Rick
October 26, 2016 02:39AM
Rick, N. MI Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How can you tell the date your Tejon is made?
>
> Rick

Rick,
I don't believe Tesoro kept a manufacturing database of serial numbers, but you could always call them to ask...just in case.
(This question pops up on the forums from time to time...)
smiling smiley
mike
October 26, 2016 05:26PM
If you want the latest Tejon, they are black in color and are equipped with the 11X8 RSD search coil.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2016 05:40PM by Hombre.
October 26, 2016 07:39PM
Detectorist
Are the newer ones better performers?
You mean better than an 'original' Tejón? Not from what I have seen.

I recently handled a newer Tejón with a fellow who wanted to "show off" his new-to-him detector and the 8X11 RSD DD coil. I compared it with the performance of two Tejón's that were released within the first two months of its initial introduction and my Nokta CoRe and Relic, a Tesoro Bandido II µMAX and Eldorado, and a White's MXT All-Pro and MX5. I know what I observed, and I listened to the other fellows who were gathered around for some quick comparisons to get their thoughts..

One of the early-release Tejón models was 'OK' but seemed a bit 'pale' in performance to the other older one and the new one, and to all other detectors we compared. Those two other Tejón's (early-release and new) were just about equal in performance and stability of settings.

I owned three Tejón's in the past, and have used a few that were brought to seminars or that detecting friends had. A lot depends upon the search coils mounted and the settings used, but I have seen the 'typical' performance I do with most other Tesoro models through the years.

Mike in CO
Depends.
My experience with Tesoro in general, and the higher gain units in particular, is that it's the 'luck of the draw' as to whether or not yours is special.

They all perform to a minimum standard of course, but some are better than others.

I got lucky and picked up a particularly good/hot/stable Tejon some time ago. It happens to be an older one, but I've seen newer ones just as good.

mike
I agree with you 100%, Mike, and have experienced owning or handling models that differ a little, + or -, from another same model even when using the exact same search coil. I will admit that I noticed more cases of having a 'cold' or 'weak' unit show up in an order as well as an occasional 'hot' or 'above-average' model in a shipment, but those were mostly with the pre-microMAX housed models. In recent years I have occasionally come across a Dealer at a shop or at a show who had new, in-stock display models that I could handle and compare, and most of them (not all) do seem to be very close in performance.

Keith Southern
The one's built after the outlaw release seem to be very very hot and very very stable.. pre outlaw can be hot yet noisy ..

Keith
Keith, I met up with a Tesoro Dealer about February I believe, and we did some in-house comparisons of all the Tesoro products he had on-hand. I do think that most Tesoro's made since ±2000 do seem to be a little closer in tolerance, and quite a few different models I have handled have been a bit 'hot'. Both the Dealer & I agreed, many of them can get a little noisier or less stable at higher gain settings.

To any reader, I will also confess my bias when it comes to the Tejón, however, because while I know what it can or should do, I haven't been all that thrilled with those I have owned for the very iron infested sites I hunt most often. Also, they haven't been the deepest performing Tesoro models for me and the bad ground I generally hunt in. I have had two Tesoro Eldorado's which, using the same-size search coils, edged out every Tejón I used and compared.

Just my thoughts.

Monte