Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

No Hard Ground Here

Posted by MAM 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
MAM
No Hard Ground Here
October 31, 2016 02:45PM
Just read "Detectorist" woes about digging in hard ground. Well,......... I'm digging in the sand this week, and it's breaking my back. Not really. The digging is easy, of course, but only got two hits in an hour, yesterday: a lead fishing sinker, and one severely corroded Lincoln. This section of beach, in front of our cottage, at Kitty Hawk, NC, has never been very productive, but never this bad. Of course, Hurricane Matthew, has been through, since the beach season ended. I was expecting to see at least some beach erosion, but the beach, in this area at least, is actually wider, and higher than last year, so maybe all the "gold" is covered by an extra foot of sand. The DFX seems to do fine here, moving back and forth between dry, and wet sand in "Jewelry/Beach" mode, and will air test my gold wedding band at about a foot above the sand, so, don't think there's any problem there. Think I'll try in front of some of the beach hotels today.
Mike
Re: No Hard Ground Here
October 31, 2016 07:44PM
Good luck Mike.
November 02, 2016 12:48AM
Mike you need a bigger Coil, You should really share you hobby with the Mrs, Let her do some of the digging it's good to share and it keeps the romance in the relationship grinning smiley

John.
MAM
November 02, 2016 09:17PM
auminesweeper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mike you need a bigger Coil, You should really
> share you hobby with the Mrs, Let her do some of
> the digging it's good to share and it keeps the
> romance in the relationship grinning smiley
>
> John.

Actually, John, I had White's Super 12 on the DFX. The Mrs. has never complained when I spend some of "our" retirement funds on new equipment, but she sees no "romance" in digging. Think I'll leave well enough alone.
Since my earlier post, I've tried the AT Pro, and the F5 at this beach. All are fairly stable (wet or dry), but still, few hits. A a couple of fishing sinkers/lures, and that's about it.
Mike