Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Makro Racer 1 or Racer 2????????????

Posted by Kevin B 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Makro Racer 1 or Racer 2????????????
November 21, 2016 07:30PM
I would appreciate some feedback from detectorists who have used both. I owned a Makro Racer 1 for a while and found some deep bullets in some hunted out C.W.campsites. I understand that Racer 2 has a deep mode (slowed down). I have been researching so much that all of the info is running together.
I'm hoping that my two new threads will help to steer me in the right direction. After deer season is over (and maybe even before it's over), I'll be swinging over some old sites and hopefully some new.
I appreciate all feedback. Happy Thanksgiving....kevin
Re: Makro Racer 1 or Racer 2????????????
November 21, 2016 07:41PM
I think the Red Racer is a bit deeper in 2 tone. If you are going for depth and relic hunting that would be the route I'd take.
November 21, 2016 08:09PM
Not sure if the Red Racer is deeper or not, but it feels (sounds) sparkier.

For hunting iron infested CW sites, the R2, IMHO, would be a better unit as you have more control over the machine (iron audio, adjustable tone break, adjustable audio segments, etc). I've found that the deep mode is good for checking iffy targets. I don't feel it adds more depth, just that it amplifies the sampling of the target at the cost of a slower response time so you can determine if it's worth digging or not, but it's a useful tool and it's so easy to switch between 2/3 tone to deep mode to quickly check an iffy target.

IMHO it's worth the extra $$$ to get the R2, but if you don't need the extra features, I feel they'll both do just as well at sniffing out the goods!
November 21, 2016 08:25PM
Thanks fellers! I appreciate the feedback. Kevin
November 22, 2016 01:46AM
For both relics and hunting more modern sites= Racer 2

When operating in a dig all nonferrous,,,,still advantage Racer 2,,but gap is not as wide as what is said above.(attribut d to iron vol adj)

As far a resale,,,,probably easier to move a Racer 2 vs Red Racer.

If I had a Deus I would opt for FORS relic vs Racer 1 or 2,,,,for relic hunting.

Small coil will find stuff Deus will slip by.

Can't say for the additional 5x10" coil,,,never used one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2016 01:49AM by tnsharpshooter.
November 22, 2016 08:09AM
Whats your soil minerals like?
You'll find many who say it gets deep on targets, and on good soil it will, but you'll also get the long winded stories of going deep in mineralised ground but in my experience, compared to other detectors it plain dosent, and you'll struggle to find any videos (and there are loads of videos on youtube) where the R2 gets any decent depth in the higher mineralised ground.
In my soil, it read normally 3-4 bars on the R2, i got no deeper than 9" with stock coil on a big English penny.
With the 5" coil no more than 5"-6" on same coin.
The way i saw the R2 was, if it can't reach down deep enough to the targets, then it didn't matter how many useful features it had because it wasn't going to get to use them.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2016 04:09PM by ghound.
November 22, 2016 03:28PM
Kevin B
I would appreciate some feedback from detectorists who have used both. I owned a Makro Racer 1 for a while and found some deep bullets in some hunted out C.W.campsites. I understand that Racer 2 has a deep mode (slowed down). I have been researching so much that all of the info is running together.
I'm hoping that my two new threads will help to steer me in the right direction. After deer season is over (and maybe even before it's over), I'll be swinging over some old sites and hopefully some new.
I appreciate all feedback. Happy Thanksgiving....kevin
First, I don't know where you are but I wish we still had deer season going on. Mine was Oct. 1st thru 12th and I wish it was later in the year, and I also wish we had a multiple bag opportunity.

Next, on to the Racer series. There were some circuitry adjustments between the original Racer and the Racer 2 but it mostly affected lower to mid-range Gain settings. Even at that it isn't that noticeable because reduced Gain is usually where there is EMI or sever trash or ground issues, and in both of those cases 'Depth' isn't a factor to consider anyway. In locations wher4e there is more open ground to hunt with less nearby masking targets, both of these models can achieve impressive depth of detection.

Because I like to hear the presence of iron, the Racer 2 fits my needs because I can, yet it lets me reduce the Iron Audio Volume. Add to the mix the Tone Break and Audio Tone Adjustment for my hearing preference/needs and the enhanced TID display due to the broader non-ferrous range, I chose the Racer 2 as my main-use Racer series model. I use the 3-Tone mode 95% of the time when a smaller-size coil is mounted, and for modest trash areas I like the 5½X10 DD and using either the 2-Tone search mode, mainly, or when conditions favor it I opt for the 'Deep' mode.

Depending upon the ground conditions, I can usually anticipate better target response and just a bit better depth of ½" to 1+", and I think the best I figured I could achieve was in the 1½"-2" increase based upon the particular target. Usually that was with lower-to-mid conductivity targets such as .45-70 cartridge cases, spent larger caliber bullets, higher denomination coins, etc. I have worked the Racer series models in some older era sites, dating a decade prior to the CW era. Those were 1849-1851 pioneer settlements or encampments. Depth ability of both of these Racer models is very impressive, and I hunt in very iron mineralized ground the bulk of the time.

tnsharpshooter
For both relics and hunting more modern sites= Racer 2

When operating in a dig all nonferrous,,,,still advantage Racer 2,,but gap is not as wide as what is said above.(attribut d to iron vol adj)

As far a resale,,,,probably easier to move a Racer 2 vs Red Racer.

If I had a Deus I would opt for FORS relic vs Racer 1 or 2,,,,for relic hunting.

Small coil will find stuff Deus will slip by.

Can't say for the additional 5x10" coil,,,never used one.
I agree completely with regard to the Racer 2 being the better choice for Relic or Coin Hunting sites with a lot of trash. Also the benefits of Iron Audio Volume with Tone Break and other new features. Plus you have to be correct on any resale value, although the current MSRP of the standard Racer is very tough to compete with from other detector makers, with only one exception I can see out there now..

On your "If I had a Deus ..." reference, I would certainly question myself as to why in the world I would want to buy a Deus. I don't care to have to charge multiple battery powered pieces of the set-up, and I like a detector to be 'Simple' and 'Functional' and any detector that gets too many adjustment functions falls into the 'Not Simple' category for me. Then again, I don't have to be concerned about that as I have a Racer 2 I keep a 5½" DD or 'OOR' DD coil mounted, my FORS CoRe has the 'OOR' DD coil mounted, and I have production Relic w/5½" DD, another Relic I bought w/5½X10 Concentric mounted, and my R-P Relic w/stock 7X11 DD all ready to grab and hunt.

If you haven't used the 5½X10 coils for the CoRe or Relic I think you need to, especially in low to moderate trash, and I really like to use mine in 2-Tone mode when iron nails are the main offender at a site. I have a 5½X10 DD on my Gold + and I can just grab it and hunt, or swap the lower rod and coil to the Relic, but I happen to prefer the 5½X10 Concentric coil on my Relic as my first unit to grab when I want to not be using one of the two smaller-size search coils.

Monte
November 22, 2016 04:41PM
I use the Red 1 it is killer with the 5x10 coil and orr coil. Very fast and deep turn and go. It hunts right along my Deus with no problems. The 2 has more features but not enough for me to want one I sometimes think the more you are running on a unit the more power it takes from the coil. Would always keep my racer but may sell my deus when the impact comes out.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
November 22, 2016 07:28PM
You fellows are awesome. I appreciate the responses VERY much. And a very Happy Thanksgiving to ye all!!!!!! kevin