Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

And we're off...

Posted by Daniel Tn 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
And we're off...
December 10, 2016 02:18PM
I finally had enough of hunting the same old places and not finding much. Decided it was time to start researching some more and quit making excuses for myself. Found a few places of interest and began tracking down land owners. Did some walking on one property yesterday and came up with a few things but not much...certainly not a camp. I think I found a small picket post...everything in one small area near a road bed. I thought I was really onto something but then it petered out as quick as it started. But this is more than I've found in several trips at my old spots. Still have several more places I'm going to try and get permission for today. Good luck to everybody hunting this weekend. Maybe I can add some more after I get home this evening.

photo upload
Re: And we're off...
December 10, 2016 02:31PM
Nice = I'd take that all day/any day thumbs down

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2016 02:32PM by MichiganRelicHunter.
December 10, 2016 02:35PM
That'll peek your interest for sure. Know what ya mean on the hard hit spots and the need for different ground. Hope ya get a pouch full this weekend.

HH
December 10, 2016 05:36PM
Very nice

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
December 10, 2016 06:32PM
I'd be thrilled Nice finds.
December 10, 2016 07:09PM
Intermission update. Sitting here taking a lunch break. Haven't found a spot to get the detector out of the truck.

Word of advice:

There are 11 states in the south that make up what is known as the SEC....South Eastern Conference of the NCAA...national collegiate athletics association...aka college football. These people in the SEC states do not care about Sunday or Monday NFL football. They only care about college football Saturdays. They follow it religiously. They name their children after the star players of their favorite teams. In Tennessee...their school is in Knoxville and are the Tennessee Volunteers. Orange and white are their colors. Alabama is the defending national champions and also this years SEC champions...actually they are the SEC Champions the last 3 years in a row. I live in Tennessee but cannot stand TN football or a lot of their fans. I have became a BAMA fan. So my advice for today....when in TN Vols country looking for permission for new sites. Probably not a good idea to knock on the door of the house with orange/white mailbox and UT flags flying....while wearing a crimson Roll Tide ball cap and pullover/hoodie. Cause some of those Vols fans are still sore that Bama has beat them the last 10 years in a row when they have played smiling smiley

Might have to stop and get a neutral hat some place...and perhaps a request to Santa for a hostile territory SEC friendly coat/jacket.
December 10, 2016 10:25PM
Very nice!
December 11, 2016 01:03AM
LOL !!

Bad juju indeed
December 11, 2016 01:08AM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Intermission update. Sitting here taking a lunch
> break. Haven't found a spot to get the detector
> out of the truck.
>
> Word of advice:
>
> There are 11 states in the south that make up what
> is known as the SEC....South Eastern Conference of
> the NCAA...national collegiate athletics
> association...aka college football. These people
> in the SEC states do not care about Sunday or
> Monday NFL football. They only care about college
> football Saturdays. They follow it religiously.
> They name their children after the star players of
> their favorite teams. In Tennessee...their school
> is in Knoxville and are the Tennessee Volunteers.
> Orange and white are their colors. Alabama is the
> defending national champions and also this years
> SEC champions...actually they are the SEC
> Champions the last 3 years in a row. I live in
> Tennessee but cannot stand TN football or a lot of
> their fans. I have became a BAMA fan. So my advice
> for today....when in TN Vols country looking for
> permission for new sites. Probably not a good idea
> to knock on the door of the house with
> orange/white mailbox and UT flags flying....while
> wearing a crimson Roll Tide ball cap and
> pullover/hoodie. Cause some of those Vols fans
> are still sore that Bama has beat them the last 10
> years in a row when they have played smiling smiley
>
> Might have to stop and get a neutral hat some
> place...and perhaps a request to Santa for a
> hostile territory SEC friendly coat/jacket.

Ditch the Bama hat and attire,,,,and get a red make Amercia great again hat.

Will likely do wonders.
December 11, 2016 08:41PM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Intermission update. Sitting here taking a lunch
> break. Haven't found a spot to get the detector
> out of the truck.
>
> Word of advice:
>
> There are 11 states in the south that make up what
> is known as the SEC....South Eastern Conference of
> the NCAA...national collegiate athletics
> association...aka college football. These people
> in the SEC states do not care about Sunday or
> Monday NFL football. They only care about college
> football Saturdays. They follow it religiously.
> They name their children after the star players of
> their favorite teams. In Tennessee...their school
> is in Knoxville and are the Tennessee Volunteers.
> Orange and white are their colors. Alabama is the
> defending national champions and also this years
> SEC champions...actually they are the SEC
> Champions the last 3 years in a row. I live in
> Tennessee but cannot stand TN football or a lot of
> their fans. I have became a BAMA fan. So my advice
> for today....when in TN Vols country looking for
> permission for new sites. Probably not a good idea
> to knock on the door of the house with
> orange/white mailbox and UT flags flying....while
> wearing a crimson Roll Tide ball cap and
> pullover/hoodie. Cause some of those Vols fans
> are still sore that Bama has beat them the last 10
> years in a row when they have played smiling smiley
>
> Might have to stop and get a neutral hat some
> place...and perhaps a request to Santa for a
> hostile territory SEC friendly coat/jacket.

disclaimer: I was Born and Raised in TN.
I HATE vol fans. People that literally cant spell Tennessee live and die by those ghetto rats playing a game. (and no, I am not some antisports pussy. I played college ice hockey). But vol nayshun has NOTHING on Alabama fans. That unwarranted obnoxious smugness goes back to at least the 60s when I was first old enough to notice such things. Do people really think that because they root for a team that it makes them better than other people? Apparently so from what I see every year.

Daniel, THAT is why bama fans are so disliked pretty much everywhere. (when they are acting like typical bama fans- when they aren't, theyre mostly good folks imo)
But I agree that dressing to not offend is always a good idea when asking permission.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2016 08:42PM by Champ Ferguson.
December 12, 2016 02:46AM
Champ -- That's one of the reasons I picked BAMA to become a fan of...I knew Vols fans couldn't stand them. That's part of my personality I guess; I like to give people a hard time all in fun. If I ever find something to rile a person up, I will do it just for the entertainment of it (as long as it isn't a serious issue...anything else is fair game). I don't watch most of the games; I do the highlite reels just to have something to talk about at work with the diehards that live and breathe it. They are quite entertaining to say the least. When TN is on a mini winning streak like the beginning of this year, the fans are all in...they have the best coach, best QB, best team in years....then with one loss, they are ready to fire the coach, the QB sucks, defense sucks, couldn't beat a JV high school team. lol Enter ole Daniel with a smug grin and one comment of Roll Tide and it makes for some good times. smiling smiley

I've got more sites lined up to go seek permission for. The hard part these days is not finding sites...or finding out who/where the landowners live. Google Earth, online maps, and online tax record maps make this easy and can be done at home. Catching the landowner home and then a good time to approach them is another story. This time of year is horrible for it; in this area people are suspicious of strangers anyway...and this time of year there are high alerts to strange people wandering around casing places to break in for the holidays. I've noticed several times that people wont even come to the door if they don't recognize who it is, despite you knowing they are home from the footsteps in the home and or seeing them peep through the blinds/curtains. It just always pays to have a big list of sites you might want to scout or hunt when going into new areas seeking permission. Cause unlike 20+ years ago, you will burn through a list pretty fast with people not being at home when you are there or those that just don't want people on their land.
December 12, 2016 04:24PM
Daniel, I could have been you, a bama fan had not an incident in my childhood scarred me so long ago. Your personality sounds very similar to mine. Anyway, I had a distant aunt from bama living amongst us Tennesseans who loved Bear Bryant with all her soul. She was the short, chubby bubbly person who makes Santa look like a sourpuss next to her personality. I did and still do dearly love her, but god did she aggravate me as a child with that constant Alabama crap. She delighted in poking me and somehow managed to goad me into giving a crap about something that meant (and still means) nothing to me. She would say something derogatory yet marginally funny about TN and good about AL, then laugh her ass off. She was the kind of person that led the crowd to where ever she went and it drove me crazy.
Eventually I grew up, moved off, she moved off and we never managed to see each other at family gatherings as one of us was always missing it for some reason. Then her husband died and we caught up at the funeral. First time I saw her as a grown adult. I told her how she had sucked me into her vortex and how, while I couldn't care less what the vols' record is, I desperately want them to beat Alabama. 1-11 is fine so long as the 1 is bama; that's what my generation thinks.

If you want a good laugh, theres a ABC Knoxville day after program called SportsSource that is a complaining/whining/bitching/fire butch/butch is the greatest tv show. Always good for some laughs. They nail the fans' mood perfectly. I religiously watch it in season as the funniest show on tv.
December 12, 2016 07:35PM
Nice digs Daniel!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
December 13, 2016 09:05PM
Very well done, Daniel!!!! You are off to a great start. Great finds!!! And I sincerely mean that, because I would consider those relics that you found a total success on any given day of detecting.....because everywhere that I hunt (well, most places) have been gone over for 30 or 40 years!!!! So.......VERY well done. I purchased a Fors Relic from a place in Northern GA and I have yet to use it over my test garden. Due to rain. A month ago I was whining about the lack of rain. Now, I can't get out because of it. LOL!!!!! Nevertheless, I am VERY glad that you decided to start your thread and show your findings. It gets me fired up. I am genuinely happy for ya. And Merry Christmas! kevin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2016 09:20PM by Kevin B.