Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Coins you will be digging in the future

Posted by Champ Ferguson 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Coins you will be digging in the future
December 30, 2016 11:39PM
The US Mint's totals/percentages for 2016: [www.numismaticnews.net]

57+% pennies dammit.

We need to dump the penny and add $1, $2, and $5 coins.

Re: Coins you will be digging in the future
December 30, 2016 11:47PM
Will probably being digging credit and debits cards in the future,,,,seems everyone I get behind while checking out,,,,use these,, not cash or coins.
December 31, 2016 12:39AM
That's a monstrous quantity of worthless 1c coins. Your Government needs to do a major review. Make plenty of dimes. Withdraw the 1c and 5c. Withdraw the 1 dollar note, get those golden dollar coins into use.
December 31, 2016 01:07AM
Pimento Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's a monstrous quantity of worthless 1c coins.
> Your Government needs to do a major review. Make p
> lenty of dimes. Withdraw the 1c and 5c. Withdraw t
> he 1 dollar note, get those golden dollar coins in
> to use.

Pimento,
I hear ya....We got rid of the penny here in Canada...and have used the $1.00 and the $2.00 coins for some time now...was out on school sports field yesterday and dug 8 $2.00 coins and 3 $1.00 coins.
You gota dig a lot of dimes ,nickles and quarters to add up to $19.00....
December 31, 2016 06:45AM
Not only does the US government continue to produce and circulate the penny which costs way more than a penny to mint, they mint multiple reverse designs to encourage people to collect them.

I get it. It's a fun, healthy and educational thing for kids to collect coins. But nowadays a quarter is not beyond the realm of cost for most kids to collect and the commemorative designs are popular with younger collectors. And there's a bonus: US government profit! The 50 state commemorative quarter program produced over 6 billion in seigniorage.

A dime today probably has less value than a penny when I was a kid, and as a kid I was able to afford to be a penny coin collector. Many of my friends did too. And we weren't from rich families. In grade school, I walked with high school kids and scoured the sides of the roads on their routes home to get their soda bottles when they were done so I could collect the 2c deposits back from the store. I learned fast what kids bought sodas after school every day. And a penny had value when I was little. You could buy a full-size candy bar (substantially shorter and wider but similar in volume and weight to today's bars) for 5c and the corner store across the street even had a big selection of penny candy.

Why not an aggressive program to create commemorative and collectible designs on the dime? Unlike the penny or nickel, the dime is a coin that produces a profit when someone takes it out of circulation. What moron denizens of the government "swamp" decided encouraging people to collect a money losing penny is better than a money making dime??????

Like TN alluded to above, in the future it won't matter. A cashless society is getting closer by the year.

I always throw in and take out from the omnipresent give a penny, take a penny trays. But I had an experience that showed me there's still at least one person who values that penny way too much.

My truth is stranger than fiction personal penny story: I remember a couple years ago buying a convenience store soda for a dollar and change and after tax I was one penny shy. I asked the clerk if he had a penny and he said no! I laughed in disbelief and told him truthfully that the next smallest bill I had was a ten. He told me he wasn't paying for my soda. I just kept laughing as I reminded him that he was going to have to make the effort to give me bills and 99c change over a penny. He said he didn't care it wasn't his job to pay for me. I just kept chuckling as he counted out my change asking him if he had ever heard of the saying penny-wise dollar foolish. That's when the story gets really good! One of the quarters was brown and obviously a dug coin. I've never refused a dug coin but on this day I just couldn't resist. I bs'd him that the quarter was damaged and not legal tender. He argues with me that it is a quarter. I said that if I took it to the bank like that they wouldn't accept it and I wanted a legal quarter. So this guy who can't stand much more than 5 feet or way much less than 400 pounds just stands there glaring at me. I'm serious I said to him with as stern a face as I could muster. You're bitching about me trying to beat you out of a penny and you're trying to knowingly give me an illegal quarter. I could have you arrested! At that point this genius gets a funny look on his face and looks at the dug quarter in a way that appeared to me as if he's seriously considering my threat. He gives me a new quarter and takes back the dug one.