Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Wonder what's buried near and under this

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Wonder what's buried near and under this
January 09, 2017 01:13PM
Some history here it seems.

[www.washingtonpost.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2017 01:14PM by tnsharpshooter.
Re: Wonder what's buried near and under this
January 09, 2017 04:11PM
Nothing would be buried "under" it, of course. Since it's thousands of years old and pre-dates anyone here that had metal. But all around it was a park tourist draw, since the late 1800s, and the article shows. So in the course of cleaning up the mess, if loaders are brought in to pick up all the trunks, foilage, etc.... , there's a chance they could indiscriminately scrape the duff of the forest floor in the process. If they do enough of that, you basically have a "park scrape" . Where, if the surrounding ground were littered with enough tabs and foil, and things had been previously too deep (on account of the forest foilage-fallout rate), then conceivably some stuff from yesteryear tourists could come into view.

But that's all a bunch of "what if's". If someone's close, and could get a bead on when the heavy equipment does in (to see if such ground gouges / scrapes occur ), then .... worth a shot.
January 09, 2017 04:38PM
So sad to see such a wonderful tree topple

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
January 09, 2017 04:42PM
I remember driving through that tree on family vacation as a kid, sad to see it gone.
January 09, 2017 06:31PM
I remember seeing photo's of 1930's cars in the middle of one of these trees, but didn't realise one had fallen in the 60's.

There is in fact a Sequoia tree just 5 minutes walk from my house here in England. It was planted in the 1860's, when such practice was popular. It was in the grounds of a modest Georgian-period Country House, taking centre-stage in the rear garden. Many other large trees are nearby, the rear entrance driveway was lined with them, Scots Pine, Canadian Spruce, some taller than the sequoia. It's only a baby, maybe about 10 feet diameter. The house itself is no longer there, the area is now public parkland.