Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Anyone here run an Anderson shaft on CTX3030??

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Anyone here run an Anderson shaft on CTX3030??
January 21, 2017 04:37AM
If so,,,opinion please.
Re: Anyone here run an Anderson shaft on CTX3030??
January 21, 2017 10:10AM
I want to be careful here because Im happy that Anderson is making affordable alternative options for the CTX.
I have one and it works fine. It just doesn't feel or look real robust compared to the stock shaft.
The upper Carbon fiber part of the shaft is great and is slightly longer, but the piece that bolts to the coil does not give me a lot of
confidence. It is much smaller and attaches to the inside of the shaft instead of the nice large piece that is attached over the Minelab shaft.
Minimum width of the Anderson down by the coil is about 5/8". The Minelab is 1-1/4". Big difference.
If your trying to save some money for a shaft to keep the little 6" or 5x10 coil mounted to it, I could recommend it.
If I was buying one for the big coil I would buy the stock shaft if I could afford it..
Its my opinion in this case that you get what you pay for.
To be fair the Anderson shaft has worked ok for me but I always have a nagging feeling looking down at it that I wish I would have bought the Minelab shaft instead.
Bryan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2017 10:25AM by Cabin Fever.
January 21, 2017 10:47AM
One more thing I almost forgot.
The Anderson Shaft is actually a better choice for the Coiltek 10x5 Coil.
When used with the stock Minelab shaft the Coiltek will not lay flat because of the coil cable design.
The higher cable entry point of the Anderson shaft allows easier installation and better coil movement for the 10x5.
Bryan
January 21, 2017 01:02PM
Thanks Bryan for the info.
January 21, 2017 02:18PM
I got one when I had the 6" coil to making swapping coils easier. It seemed like the most cost effective option, since Minelab is awful proud of theirs via price. I thought it was a well built shaft but I too couldn't figure out why the coil cord opening was so much further up onto the shaft vs the Minelab. The one I had, came with a wire protector due to the angle the coil wire goes into the shaft and its sharp inside edges. I reckon there are atleast two versions of this shaft; not sure which one I had. One is supposed to be an improved version over the first. Seems like they could have put a rubber coating or something on those edges instead of having to wrap the coil wire with protection...maybe that is what the improved version does. I'm not sure.

All in all it's not a bad rod. If they come out with some better after market coils vs those that are available now, it would be worth getting another one. But I just don't see that happening for as long as the CTX has been on the market now. I would love to see an 8 inch round coil for the machine.
January 21, 2017 06:33PM
Thanks Daniel.