Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Gold detector in a park

Posted by guvmore 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Gold detector in a park
February 14, 2017 12:28AM
Would it find deep coins in a park or field? what would happen mostly no ID of targets? no depth reference?? just curious thanks
Re: Gold detector in a park - reply
February 14, 2017 12:42AM
Sure, there are gold detectors that can get a coin to well beyond 1.5 ft .deep. Often time 2x as deep as any coin machine. So .... WHO WOULDN'T want to use a gold prospecting machine in junky urban parks, right ? Woohooo! I mean, who can argue with double the depth ! I'll let others chime in at this point smoking smiley
February 14, 2017 01:50AM
Tom_in_CA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sure, there are gold detectors that can get a coin
> to well beyond 1.5 ft .deep. Often time 2x as de
> ep as any coin machine. So .... WHO WOULDN'T want
> to use a gold prospecting machine in junky urban p
> arks, right ? Woohooo! I mean, who can argue wi
> th double the depth ! I'll let others chime in a
> t this point smoking smiley

Not that I would want to damage a parks digging deep holes, was trying to figure how these gold machines function, in my area just an inch or two get's the deep coins..yea will googletongue sticking out smiley, pretty sure the frequency is in the equation.
February 14, 2017 03:01AM
guvmore Wrote:
> .... pretty sure t
> he frequency is in the equation.

No, it's not an issue of "frequency". You'll MOST DEFINITELY get more depth. And not just the "inch or two" more that you desire. You'll probably DOUBLE your depth. And ... heck ... you can even get gold earing studs, tinsel thin chains, etc.... Who can argue with all these advantages, eh ?

But since no one else seems to be chiming in, I'll break the bad news to you: The bells of Notre Dame are going to ring on every staple, BB, staple, pushpin, fleck, etc.... You will go bonkers. People simply have no idea how much metal exists in even the cleanest parks. And the nugget machines will have no ability to pass iron (beyond the top couple of inches anyhow).
February 14, 2017 03:28AM
Tom_in_CA Wrote:
> guvmore Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > .... pretty sure t
> > he frequency is in the equation.
>
>
> No, it's not an issue of "frequency". You'll MOS
> T DEFINITELY get more depth. And not just the "in
> ch or two" more that you desire. You'll probably
> DOUBLE your depth. And ... heck ... you can even
> get gold earing studs, tinsel thin chains, etc....
> Who can argue with all these advantages, eh ?
>
> But since no one else seems to be chiming in, I'll
> break the bad news to you: The bells of Notre Da
> me are going to ring on every staple, BB, staple,
> pushpin, fleck, etc.... You will go bonkers. P
> eople simply have no idea how much metal exists in
> even the cleanest parks. And the nugget machines
> will have no ability to pass iron (beyond the top
> couple of inches anyhow).

Thanks,enough saidthumbs down
February 14, 2017 03:30AM
Tom_in_CA Wrote:
> guvmore Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > .... pretty sure t
> > he frequency is in the equation.
>
>
> No, it's not an issue of "frequency". You'll MOS
> T DEFINITELY get more depth. And not just the "in
> ch or two" more that you desire. You'll probably
> DOUBLE your depth. And ... heck ... you can even
> get gold earing studs, tinsel thin chains, etc....
> Who can argue with all these advantages, eh ?
>
> But since no one else seems to be chiming in, I'll
> break the bad news to you: The bells of Notre Da
> me are going to ring on every staple, BB, staple,
> pushpin, fleck, etc.... You will go bonkers. P
> eople simply have no idea how much metal exists in
> even the cleanest parks. And the nugget machines
> will have no ability to pass iron (beyond the top
> couple of inches anyhow).

Tom--you kill me!----and your right--1000% right!-----bells of Notre Dame--yeah! smiling smiley
Re: Gold detector in a park
February 14, 2017 03:45AM
A friend of mine has the high-powered Minelab nugget machine. It can get a nickel to nearly 2 ft. deep. And one days years ago, we were helping the police @ an evidence search (looking for a spent bullet). The location was next to the garage next to a residential house. Like in the dirt driveway leading in, and the strips of terra firma along the paths to the house. The house was built in the mid 1950s.

We had the genius idea that since this nugget machine "won't miss a thing", that we'd try that. WOW was it an eye-opener. I simply had not idea how much metal exists, even in a yard/garage area from the 1950's. I think I could scarcely move the coil w/o getting a signal. And each was things like rusted staples, pinheads, tteeeennnnssy flecks of wire snippets, etc....

I too, up-till-then had toyed with the idea of using a nugget pulse machine of this league at worked out parks where we suspected deeper coins lay "just out of our reach". But after this experience, I quickly changed my mind. Doh!

Here's a thought, to get more depth than standard discriminators will do , yet not be so susceptible to insanely small targets: Get yourself a Sov. or an Excal, and simply use the all-metal mode. Yes they can't pass iron (except by audio 2nd-guessing), but at least the only iron you'd be dealing with is nail-sized objects, not staple & BB sized stuff. Even some old machines with fixed (no auto-track and no self-adjusting threshold) all-metal modes. Like an XLT with the VCO on and auto-track + SAT off. Those will probably go deeper than discriminators, (the inch or two more you want), while still in league with coin-sized objects only.
February 14, 2017 03:58AM
Tom_in_CA Wrote:
> A friend of mine has the high-powered Minelab nugg
> et machine. It can get a nickel to nearly 2 ft. d
> eep. And one days years ago, we were helping the
> police @ an evidence search (looking for a spent b
> ullet). The location was next to the garage next
> to a residential house. Like in the dirt drivewa
> y leading in, and the strips of terra firma along
> the paths to the house. The house was built in th
> e mid 1950s.
>
> We had the genius idea that since this nugget mach
> ine "won't miss a thing", that we'd try that. WOW
> was it an eye-opener. I simply had not idea how m
> uch metal exists, even in a yard/garage area from
> the 1950's. I think I could scarcely move the co
> il w/o getting a signal. And each was things like
> rusted staples, pinheads, tteeeennnnssy flecks of
> wire snippets, etc....
>
> I too, up-till-then had toyed with the idea of usi
> ng a nugget pulse machine of this league at worked
> out parks where we suspected deeper coins lay "jus
> t out of our reach". But after this experience, I
> quickly changed my mind. Doh!
>
> Here's a thought, to get more depth than standard
> discriminators will do , yet not be so susceptible
> to insanely small targets: Get yourself a Sov. o
> r an Excal, and simply use the all-metal mode. Y
> es they can't pass iron (except by audio 2nd-guess
> ing), but at least the only iron you'd be dealing
> with is nail-sized objects, not staple & BB sized
> stuff. Even some old machines with fixed (no aut
> o-track and no self-adjusting threshold) all-metal
> modes. Like an XLT with the VCO on and auto-trac
> k + SAT off. Those will probably go deeper than
> discriminators, (the inch or two more you want), w
> hile still in league with coin-sized objects only.

Darn, should of taken a chance and posted my thread a day earlier, I do have a Sov, but packed ready to ship to a new but same owner who sold it to me then we decided to send it home again......lol can't win for trying. I guess never caught on to the all metal mode. Thanks for clearing up a few issue's with depth and gold machines.
February 15, 2017 01:54AM
You can set up a TDI so it'll discriminate iron & dig high conductors. Turn the ground balance down to 2 hunt in high conductors. I used mine with these settings & found some silver dimes in a beaten park.
February 15, 2017 02:09AM
Digger70pa Wrote:
> You can set up a TDI so it'll discriminate iron &
> dig high conductors. Turn the ground balance down
> to 2 hunt in high conductors. I used mine with the
> se settings & found some silver dimes in a beaten
> park.

Good points, thanks...sometimes I forget the settings.
February 15, 2017 04:32AM
I don't hunt parks much any more. Last I did I use to use my Sovereign in all metal and listen for the faint signals. Then I would check them in disc mode and if I got even a slight jump in my meter I would dig. So many of them were coins I would have missed swinging over in disc mode.
February 15, 2017 04:44AM
Arthur-Canada Wrote:
> I don't hunt parks much any more. Last I did I use
> to use my Sovereign in all metal and listen for th
> e faint signals. Then I would check them in disc m
> ode and if I got even a slight jump in my meter I
> would dig. So many of them were coins I would have
> missed swinging over in disc mode.

Yes that is probably the best method, those soft deep targets are worth checking. Now though I'm sure we can get those deeper targets with many more detector models.. hh
February 15, 2017 03:36PM
Digger70pa Wrote:
> You can set up a TDI so it'll discriminate iron &
> dig high conductors. Turn the ground balance down
> to 2 hunt in high conductors. I used mine with the
> se settings & found some silver dimes in a beaten
> park.

By the time you "off-tune" the TDI to discriminate out iron, and to tell High vs. Low conductors, you will have lost all the fabled depth of the pulse machine. Your resulting depth will be no more than that of several normal coin machines on the market.

Yes there are tuning tricks on the TDI, but they cost you the fabled depth.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2017 03:38PM by Tom_in_CA.
February 16, 2017 03:44PM
I wrote an article ...... called: "Behind The Mask" ....... just exactly about this topic. It is on the Home-Page of this web-site.
February 16, 2017 06:30PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> I wrote an article ...... called: "Behind The Mask
> " ....... just exactly about this topic. It is on
> the Home-Page of this web-site.

Thanx Nasa-Tom. Just read the article. Enjoyed it much. And your test site was probably relatively "clean", when compared to blighted parks where even tabs and foil have been passed forever.

And I like how you came to conclude that DESPITE .... yes ..... getting some more coins and even 2 gold rings, that it SIMPLY WASN'T WORTH IT. This is note-worthy, because there is some sort of mantra out there that any sort of cherry picking, or disc., etc.... is fool-hearty, because "you might miss a ring". So pity the poor newbie, following the "dig all" advise, pulls his hair out and the machine ends up in the closet.

We had an occasion here in San Francisco years ago, where they scraped all the turf off a blighted park (dated to the 1870s) to prepare to install artificial turf. And since it was all just dirt and jumbled soil during the tractor process, we could treat it in "relic" mindset, and "dig all (except iron). Contrast to most SF park turf hunting, where hunters here typically cherry pick for silver, and perhaps "notch" in nickels at best, or mentally choose between tones. But in NO WAY dig all the foil out of junky blighted parks.

But in the case of this turf scrape demolition, we did indeed dig all conductors, since we had the liberty in loose disturbed dirt. And for an entire week, of hundreds of targets per night, I saved everything in boxes. At the conclusion, I counted them all out and make charts and graphs. Yes I did indeed get 8 or 9 gold items (a few rings, some charms, a watch part, etc...). But the aluminum count was over 1000, as I recall. Simply would not have been conceivable, to go into turfed park (where presumably you need to have "presence of mind" on how much plugs you can do all over!) to have looked for gold rings.

And another thing I noticed in the study, was that .... yes, I/we had lots of buffalo and V nickels. But in the end, studying all of them for dates, it became painfully obvious that they were all corroded brownish orange messes. Something in the soil there just eats them up. So on most of the V-nickels, I could scarcely even get a date ! Contrast to the silver , which comes out nice and sweet (and most of them the better S mints , since we're right in SF , haha).

Anyhow, sorry to hijack and thread , and sorry for the rant ! smiling smiley