Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Did anyone here recently do the England trip?

Posted by Matt in IL 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Did anyone here recently do the England trip?
March 26, 2017 02:44PM
Just curious if anyone from here recently went to England for the annual MD trip?

Matt
Re: Did anyone here recently do the England trip?
March 26, 2017 03:17PM
Would that be one of the Jimmy Sierra annual jollies ?? not that i have ever been on one,as i am lucky i live and detect all year round here in the UK smiling smiley
March 26, 2017 07:58PM
I am not sure if that's the one. There is a lady here in states that organizes it and a bunch of people go. I think her name is Mindy?
March 26, 2017 08:59PM
[www.essexfarmholidays.co.uk]

Metal detecting holidays here
March 26, 2017 11:19PM
Sanjuro, that's the place. My hunting buddy went this year and did really well. He found a Victoria Sovereign on the last day, man I will never hear the end of that one...

Matt
March 27, 2017 12:11AM
Matt in IL Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sanjuro, that's the place. My hunting buddy went t
> his year and did really well. He found a Victoria
> Sovereign on the last day, man I will never hear t
> he end of that one...
>
> Matt

They have some quality land to detect there
March 27, 2017 06:22AM
The Chicago Ron videos from his UK hosted trips looks like they were making some great finds (multiple gold coins per trip).
March 27, 2017 07:03AM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
> The Chicago Ron videos from his UK hosted trips lo
> oks like they were making some great finds (multip
> le gold coins per trip).

In 'reality' from folks who are long time experienced detectorists who have detected for decades here in the UK and been out detecting when ever we can,we do find gold coins 'occasionally' me include as i have found some nice celtic gold staters,but when these detecting holiday are held each year they appear too find the same amount in say one week as someone who has been detected 30-40 years,so does this mean that folks from across the pond are far more experienced in detecting or possibly gold coins multiply by themselves in the ground grinning smiley
March 27, 2017 07:12AM
Junk and Disorderly Wrote:
> Cal_cobra Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The Chicago Ron videos from his UK hosted trips
> lo
> > oks like they were making some great finds (mult
> ip
> > le gold coins per trip).
>
> In 'reality' from folks who are long time experien
> ced detectorists who have detected for decades her
> e in the UK and been out detecting when ever we ca
> n,we do find gold coins 'occasionally' me include
> as i have found some nice celtic gold staters,but
> when these detecting holiday are held each year th
> ey appear too find the same amount in say one week
> as someone who has been detected 30-40 years,so do
> es this mean that folks from across the pond are f
> ar more experienced in detecting or possibly gold
> coins multiply by themselves in the ground grinning smiley

So the general consensus is that they're planted?
March 27, 2017 07:27AM
@Cal_cobra,goodness gracious me,how could i ever insinuate that,the folks on these detecting trips must be far more experienced winking smiley
March 27, 2017 02:04PM
Junk and Disorderly Wrote:
> @Cal_cobra,goodness gracious me,how could i ever i
> nsinuate that,the folks on these detecting trips m
> ust be far more experienced winking smiley

Must be the sites they hit, lots of 'virgin' ground I imagine (Colchester trips) and the fact that a 'horde' of detectorists (and they are very experienced AFAIK) are hitting these new sites really, really hard, like 10, 12 hours a day for a week to 2 weeks....
March 27, 2017 05:02PM
I've heard many times that people believe the Jimmy Sierra hunts were seeded, but hadn't thought that about Chicago Ron's.

What's your advice for a Yankee to get their UK detecting experience?
March 27, 2017 05:59PM
canslawhero Wrote:
> Junk and Disorderly Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > @Cal_cobra,goodness gracious me,how could i ever
> i
> > nsinuate that,the folks on these detecting trips
> m
> > ust be far more experienced winking smiley
>
> Must be the sites they hit, lots of 'virgin' groun
> d I imagine (Colchester trips) and the fact that a
> 'horde' of detectorists (and they are very experie
> nced AFAIK) are hitting these new sites really, re
> ally hard, like 10, 12 hours a day for a week to 2
> weeks....

That's exactly how my friend explained it to me. Literally 10+ hour hunts every day, by the end of the trip, he could have filled a garbage bag with the amount of stuff he dug. Very experienced detectorist from all over the world he said, majority running Deus, few E-Trac and a couple Whites...Out of the 40+ guys, my friend found one Sov and another guy found two Celtic coins, that was it gold wise.

Matt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2017 06:00PM by Matt in IL.
March 28, 2017 10:01PM
There was a thread on a UK forum, basically asking "how long before you found your first gold coin, how often do you find them?"
Replies to the first question obviously varied a lot, there's always someone who manages to find one with a Tracker4 in his first month, and others have detected 20+ years and still not found one. But there seemed to be some trend that suggested once every 6 years maybe, for someone who detects regularly. And machines are better than they were 20 - 30 years ago, and tend to be higher frequency, so todays detectorist has an advantage.
How you compare this 'average detectorists luck' with 'detecting holidays success rate' is a tricky one.

And regarding: "What's your advice for a Yankee to get their UK detecting experience?"

It might be worth joining a UK forum to get a feel for the detecting scene here. One popular one is
[www.metaldetectingforum.co.uk]
There are several 'pay to dig' organisations, such as 'Central Searchers', 'Lets Go Digging', and more. They tend to operate at short notice, unfortunately, if a field is not harvested yet, you can't go on it, obviously. If the weather is shite, they will cancel an event etc.
March 29, 2017 03:16AM
Matt, I've done 9 trips to England to detect with this group, colchestertreasurehunting.co.uk. This is the group that Mindy and Chicago Ron are affiliated with. My first trip to England was with Chicago Ron and it was a workout. Up at 5am, hitting the fields or pasture by 6am and not stopping until dark except for lunch. We did this everyday for two weeks straight. There are usually 6 people per group, not including the leader, in this case Ron, and up to 4 to 6 groups running at the same time. Do the math, 24 to 36 people hunting per week for a total of approx. 24 weeks each year. Ron has been going to England for the last 10 years and has hunted at least 8 to 12 weeks each year. Ron has found a number of gold items. Is he a better hunter than the UK hunters? Not necessarily. But when you hunt that much in a spot that is so rich in history as is Colchester, you're going to find the goods. The hunts run from Feb. to April and from Sept. to Nov. That's a lot of detectors on the ground. So, of course there will be gold found. I myself have found 3 70 BC Celtic quarter gold staters, a 475 AD hammered gold Visigoth Tremisses, a solid gold button and a gold sword mount. Yes, it's true, you can go a long time without finding any gold, but when you blanket an area like Colchester with a lot of people, gold will be found. Chris, who runs the hunts, couldn't plant the amount of gold that's being found and still run the business. Chicago Ron took a lot of heat from some UK detectorists a couple of years back because of what he and others have found. I don't know if it was just ribbing or jealousy? The way Chris works his hunts, he gets exclusive rights to some land that his hunters can hunt, and that's all who can hunt that land, unless you nighthawk.
Hope this info helps.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2017 03:20AM by unearth.
March 29, 2017 03:53AM
Matt, I forgot to mention. Not all of my hunts in England were two week hunts. I did one or two 1 week hunts and one or two 10 day hunts. But the hours of hunting were always about the same. Also, on my second hunt and on my last hunt, not only did I not find any gold, I didn't find any silver, hammered or milled. Both of those hunts were a complete bust as finds go. So, don't go over to England thinking that gold is popping out of the ground and you will find some every time you go there. It just isn't that way. Despite what some people may think or say. In 9 hunts, 16 weeks of hunting, I got 6 pieces of gold. More than some and less than others. There are some hunters in Chris' group who, in several years of going to England, haven't found any gold at all. Remember, you won't find it if the coil doesn't go over it.