Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

New Under Water TDI???

Posted by Sven1 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
New Under Water TDI???
July 20, 2018 10:40AM
This was posted by OBN on another forum.
[metaldetectingforum.com]

Looks like Whites finally figured out after a number of us, Clive, Finnpoto, myself etc., have used that particular housing--the BH ID, does makes a good housing for home brew projects.

Just put in a new Mirage circuit board in mine and then will be ready to button up.

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
Re: New Under Water TDI???
July 20, 2018 12:27PM
"WOW!!!

You, Me & MANY others want this machine!"
July 20, 2018 01:14PM
Looks like a TDI SL with a volume knob added and the tone selector switch removed in the BHID case.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
July 20, 2018 01:21PM
The TDI Beach hunter

[www.whiteselectronics.com]

I would of bought this 2 yrs ago. Now with the Fisher coming out my quest for a PI that discs may be coming true.

Nox600, CTX, CZ21, Excal II and White's DF with 920i stealthscoop...I live and hunt at the beach in Wilm NCsmiling smiley
July 20, 2018 01:27PM
How did they solve the heat buildup problem in the main box?

You need to dissipate the heat somehow thru the waterproof box.
July 20, 2018 01:54PM
The heat buildup issue that was mentioned in the forms a while back I think related mainly to the big TDI – the SL probably produces a lot less heat since it has significantly less battery power .

The battery power has always been an issue with the SL. I’m pretty sure the TDI SL doesn’t have a voltage regulator - that means that the depth of the detector will decrease as the batteries voltage decreases - this has been a noted factor with the SL.

Rick Kempf
July 20, 2018 02:20PM
Well, Whites certainly knows HOW TO NOT LAUNCH A PRODUCT. Not a word until someone posts it on a forum. Where is the public media guy??

Of course I was blasted a couple years ago by the public media guy with his"TDI is OLD technology" rant--this was just prior to his/their Sport launch debacle. Sooo I guess "Old Technology" is better than No Technology.
July 20, 2018 02:33PM
Better late than never. I guess they decided to see if people were just blowing smoke when they would post on the forums saying things like "They should have put a TDI in a waterproof housing...if they did, they couldn't make them fast enough.".

I'm curious as to what they did different though. It's missing the tone conductivity toggle and the GB on/off toggle. On the other models, the GB off is what disengaged the high/low tones and you could get super depth out of them in places with low to mild ground. All the signals had a single tone though.

This model has the ground balance control, but no on/off switch for it, which would suggest that it has been toggled ON without the option to turn it off...which might still enable you to hear the 2 tones (if it were also toggled on all the time). But it would cost you depth on some beaches with little to no mineral. Interesting for sure...especially if it is legit and not just a well designed home brew. I'd sure give one a spin.
July 20, 2018 02:42PM
Just like on the TDISL the ground balance control can be rotated fully counterclockwise to the “off” position - there’s no need for a separate switch. The tones selector is, of course, missing

Rick Kempf
July 20, 2018 02:51PM
And to think........ someone eye rolling smiley was going to do that as well as give us a little disc few years back and it was nixed. I had put that on Toms thread about PIs hoping he will give us a little more schooling. This is a step in the right direction...... most new guys dont even know Whites makes a waterproof VLF. Now thou....... lets drop the knobs and case. Time to bring it into to the new age with buttons. If they dont need a screen.... this thing could be pretty small. On the handle with the batteries behind the cuff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2018 02:54PM by dewcon4414.
July 20, 2018 04:14PM
dewcon4414 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And to think........ someone eye rolling smiley was going to do t
> hat as well as give us a little disc few years bac
> k and it was nixed. I had put that on Toms threa
> d about PIs hoping he will give us a little more s
> chooling. This is a step in the right direction..
> .... most new guys dont even know Whites makes a w
> aterproof VLF. Now thou....... lets drop the kno
> bs and case. Time to bring it into to the new age
> with buttons. If they dont need a screen.... this
> thing could be pretty small. On the handle with t
> he batteries behind the cuff.

That was the rumor and instead they just dropped the TDI Pro, the one that was deeper and more powerful.

Nox600, CTX, CZ21, Excal II and White's DF with 920i stealthscoop...I live and hunt at the beach in Wilm NCsmiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2018 04:16PM by adamBomb.
July 20, 2018 04:46PM
'Hearken back' to the old days when a manufacturer didn't show until ready. Well done White's for that.

Nice also to be able to read an Instruction Manual same time!

I'm a 'bit confused on the Tones?' "High, Low, High High???"

I'd want Tones to be Low on a Low Conductor and High for a High but not so???

Anyone???"
July 20, 2018 05:25PM
Des - Pulse machines are inverted on the sounds; you will get a high tone for a low conductor and a low tone for a high conductor. The GPX models allow you to swap that around if you choose but I never had a problem with it.
July 20, 2018 05:41PM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
> Better late than never. I guess they decided to see if people were just blowing smoke when they would post on the forums saying things
> like "They should have put a TDI in a waterproof housing...if they did, they couldn't make them fast enough.".

I designed the TDI-SL board to fit either the metal box or the BeachHunter box. I built a few prototypes in the BeachHunter box, but management said "No thanks." So it got shelved. I guess someone found the prototypes and decided, "Hey, that's a good idea."
July 20, 2018 05:49PM
Geotech -- Haha that is how it goes with me at work too. I can come up with ideas and submit it to management, and they will shoot it down. Then a little later down the road, it gets implemented as their idea. I've figured out the secret to it is to let them think it's their idea to begin with, especially if it's something that will help you out in the long run.
July 20, 2018 07:38PM
Looks like they pulled it off the web site. I get 404 errors with the links and no joy on the home page links. Could be a short reset, but I'd think its a pull back. Any one else able to see it now?

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
July 20, 2018 08:06PM
It is a dead link but I have the info on treasureterrain.com
July 20, 2018 11:36PM
What was the reason Whites didnt follow through with the waterproof TDI ?? Does it cost more to produce?? The MX Sport looks to be more costly production wise...not sure.
July 20, 2018 11:57PM
Will the new TDI waterproof machine have the faster timing like the Manta? I think this is the secret to the Manta machine. 6.5-7 usec timing. Makes the machine super sensitive to gold.
July 21, 2018 12:26AM
If you have facebook this is the guy that got the TDi in the mail yesterday Edward Cropski

[www.facebook.com]

Works for me
July 21, 2018 10:08AM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
> Des - Pulse machines are inverted on the sounds; y
> ou will get a high tone for a low conductor and a
> low tone for a high conductor. The GPX models all
> ow you to swap that around if you choose but I nev
> er had a problem with it.

Thanks Daniel: I am familiar with PI's but not the TDI - the small box graphic in the Instruction Manual was what I was referring to Re: Tones (looks as if they have pulled the Link/s - gone incl the Manual?
July 21, 2018 12:11PM
MXT SNIPER Wrote:
> Will the new TDI waterproof machine have the faste
> r timing like the Manta? I think this is the secr
> et to the Manta machine. 6.5-7 usec timing. Makes
> the machine super sensitive to gold.

the Fisher is in high voltage / 16 volts
which brings a lot more power

this TDI is a 12 volt SL
rather a competitor for the Garrett ATX
and the PI DUAL .... !!!!!

this is the reason for the delay on the release of the waterproof TDI
he fires a shot in the foot of the PI Dual
July 21, 2018 12:30PM
MXT - the pulse delay knob minimum setting is marked as 10 microseconds.

Rick Kempf
July 21, 2018 01:17PM
Ive never like the way the DFs coil floats..... nor having the shaft on the back of the coil. That combo just added to a lot of coil flip.
July 21, 2018 02:02PM
I had a DFPI and like Dew, found it hard to use in the surf because of the coil’s size and water drag, plus the effort to push it under all the time. (Edit - maybe I’m confusing it with my BHID coil here) Flip city with that back mount.

I also had a BHID and the case is huge and very buoyant. The hold down screw flanges are easy to crack if you overtighten the screws and I have heard that the 25’ rating is pretty optimistic due to case flex - I never got it deeper than barely submerged.

Rick Kempf

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2018 03:28PM by lytle78.
July 21, 2018 02:33PM
Looks good...!!

Saw it on Whites website.

Wonder if they left the tone switch on inside of box or if there's a way to maybe mod it to do that??

I like the looks of it..Needs a way to swap coils though!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
July 21, 2018 02:52PM
lytle78 Wrote:
> I had a DFPI and like Dew, found it hard to use in
> the surf because of the coil’s size and water drag
> , plus the effort to push it under all the time.
> Flip city with that back mount.
>
> I also had a BHID and the case is huge and very bu
> oyant. The hold down screw flanges are easy to cra
> ck if you overtighten the screws and I have heard
> that the 25’ rating is pretty optimistic due to ca
> se flex - I never got it deeper than barely submer
> ged.

I had to build a coil weight and use a plastic coil plate to keep the BH ID coil from floating and flipping up. Made it a bit heavy. Seems like the DF large coil acts somewhat similar, at least it sinks.
The BHID case I have does have cracks in a few of the hold down screw flanges, had to glue them and add a washer. Haven't used the BHID case as is yet as the PI is not fully completed but, did have worries the case may be too buoyant. I used to have a Garrett XKL500 u/w detectors, the case also was too buoyant. Solved that problem by add two trolling sinkers, one on each side of the case. An idea to keep the BH case from floating is by adding an alumin tube that slides in to the armrest tube after the tube was filled with molten lead poured in. I have made such tubes in the past to balance some detectors out.

Works for me
cjc
July 21, 2018 03:23PM
Mine in a Pelican 1170 has brass spindles to disperse the heat. The BHID is a nice case have my GQA2 in one--no need to expose the guts to change the cell either. Nothing wrong with that coil you get used to the boyancy and a bracket can be added. Did call my contacts at Whites they are saying that this detector will be in production in 2 weeks. My Pro has to be run pretty high in surge--up at DF level-- Still a bit deeper though--and awesome in fresh water running down at 10 or 12 u/sc.
cjc
clivesgoldpage.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2018 03:36PM by cjc.
July 21, 2018 03:42PM
I like the 9" zero buoyancy donut coil better than the dual field coil. The same 9'' as some of Whites earlier Pi's.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2018 03:51PM by Arkansas.
July 21, 2018 05:25PM
I had the tdi pro, that was the deepest wet salt sand detector I ever used ... those whisper signals were a full 10 scoop work out .

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2018 05:33PM by Rob in (ca).