MUST SEE VIDEO FOR ALL NOX USERS...
August 09, 2018 01:47AM
If you use the Nox you need to see this video...MUST SEE!
Re: MUST SEE VIDEO FOR ALL NOX USERS...
August 09, 2018 02:13AM
Good video! My advice to anyone using the Nox based on my experience is hunt with the horseshoe engaged all the time. At the beach if it gives any iron sound, I pass it up. This is because out of hundreds of signals like this that I've dug up, all have been bottle caps. At the beach I want to dig as many good signals as I can. Relics on the other hand, if it gives any good tone that is repeatable even if mixed with an iron tone I'll dig it up. This is because I've dug several good targets from this type of signal.
August 09, 2018 02:33AM
I have not hunted the beach with it yet but might take a spin this winter down there.
August 09, 2018 12:18PM
My experience with the Equinox is that the non-ferrous low tones are even more pronounced at the beach in the wet sand. I've dug lots of non-ferrous targets that have given partial or even solid low tones.

I've been digging these types of targets with the CZ20 and Explorer for many years so I wasn't surprised when I discovered that the Equinox did it too. The T2, F75 and Gold Bug Pro also do it in certain situations in the dirt.

I don't think it's a bad thing. The detector is just reaching beyond its ability to accurately ID the target. I'd rather it gave a low tone than nothing at all.

The equinox has very good ID at depth. Probably better than most detectors, but there is often that last inch or so of depth where it can't decide and gives a low tone. Not always, but sometimes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2018 12:28PM by Badger in NH.
August 09, 2018 12:58PM
Okay advice for a novice user.
August 09, 2018 01:10PM
Yeah not everyone has been detecting for 100 yrs....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2018 01:11PM by calabash digger.
August 09, 2018 02:25PM
I've got pretty high mineralization here in AZ. I've noticed the same thing here in damp or bone dry soil. If you get a repeatable non-ferrous tone with any solid, repeatable non-ferrous numbers, it needs to be dug. That little trailing off iron buzz should be ignored.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2018 02:26PM by Tom Slick.
August 09, 2018 02:29PM
Thanks Tom!
August 09, 2018 03:33PM
I think the machine has to be running fairly maxed out for it to happen. Lower the sensitivity and the low tones should disappear if it is non-ferrous, but doing so might make it lose the signal all together.

August 09, 2018 05:00PM
I was running 20 to 21 and have ran it up to 23 before.
August 09, 2018 05:12PM
calabash digger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was running 20 to 21 and have ran it up to 23 be
> fore.

Interesting. I can usually run the 800 at 23 to 24 and rarely need to go below that on both land and beach.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2018 05:17PM by Badger in NH.
August 09, 2018 07:26PM
powerline almost directly over my site . Is why it was cut down .
August 10, 2018 10:38AM
I have I few areas that mine goes nuts with sensitivity over 15. I use the Deus in those places. The one park does have some power lines overhead but the other places do not. Not sure what is going on. I've tried single frequency, it helps some but still chirpy. I've dug 4-5 inch memorial pennies that rang up 38.. it's a good detector but has it's quirks
August 10, 2018 11:02AM
Took the 600 out yesterday for the first time. Ran it at 20 sensitivity. Very stable. Any higher and EMI was a factor. I pounded this place with a Deus and never could run any frequency higher than 8 there without putting up with headache causing interference. I always thought the wireless coil on the Deus was sort of a gimmick. More pain than benefit, and one more place for EMI to be introduced into the system.
August 10, 2018 11:07AM
Badger...... i believe you are right. You have likely tested the Explore in manual and auto sensitivity...... auto has a distinct cut off where manual continues to ID the target even if it means showing it as iron. I wouldnt pass up to much of those targets....... i dug a gold ring and in the scoop there was a fish hook and small iron chain. You will also notice how running disc iron wants to jump to the next bin...... right where you dont want it. I too run like Calabash with the first bin at low volume and in AM which tends to give you a natural threshold for adjusting your sensitivity and keeping iron where it belongs. If i run 22 in the water here..... im missing targets because im just listening for loud repeatable targets and likely missing weaker ones because of the chatter. Worse if im in hard pan.