Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Question concerning the 180 meter...

Posted by connortn 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Question concerning the 180 meter...
July 09, 2017 03:23AM
I've noticed that when people set a 180 meter for the Sovereigns that they use a quarter and adjust the meter to read 180. I've noticed that some European hunters set their meter to a little lower number using a 1 pound coin. I wondered if setting it to 175 or so on a quarter would have any effect on being able to identify large unwanted targets that you come across, such as a crushed soda can or large enough piece of iron that caused the detector to overload, and would just read the max that the meter would go? If this were so, then numbers above say, 175 would be suspect as unwanted.

I can see that this might squeeze the available window down however much you set the quarter to and throw off the ID according to setting it to 180. That might increase the "notch" window a little if you were using it, but I can't see any other harm.

Has anyone tried this to see what happens?
Re: Question concerning the 180 meter...
July 09, 2017 02:57PM
No but Sovereigns told me when it was a silver coin by the sweet tone and well a can covered more area in pinpoint... tonal interpretation was very important with Sovereigns.
July 09, 2017 05:40PM
What do you mean, "tonal interpretation was very important with Sovereign", Dan???

You mean: "tonal interpretation IS very important with Sovereign!"

I and many others still employ a Sovereign model of one kind or another!
In my case, a still fantastic XS2-a with coils actually 'wound by' Bruce Candy, and a GT

No. To answer the Q it's a not possible. While there is enough of 'a spread' of numbers, the meter's aren't clever enough to do what you're suggesting.
Dan is right in the valuable and useful information is in the audio and not the numbers in the case of 'large' trash.
July 09, 2017 06:56PM
Thanks Des. I've watched some of your videos on the tube and they were very informative. Didn't know who I was watching at first but saw that whoever it was knew his stuff. Have you done any videos of your own? If so, I'd appreciate some links.

I wonder why some Europeans set their units a bit low with their one and two euro coins? When I came across it, I could only imagine that they did it for identifying big honking pieces of iron that could false as coins. I don't remember if they were using the 550 meter or the 180.

So if I understand correctly, the 180 meter is mainly a volt meter and the detector sends a max of 1.8v to it, thus 1.8v is all you can get and a quarter size coin or anything larger sends the max 1.8v. So it must be that setting a 180 meter at 175 only calibrates it to read 175 when the detector sends it's max 1.8v, thus 176 -180 would not be available?

My curiosity leads me into left field sometimes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2017 04:01AM by connortn.
July 09, 2017 07:10PM
Well Des we all know the multiple tones were sure different and took a bit to get used to....remember first time I turned one on and said HUH....also experienced users learned
audio variances within to dig or not....
July 09, 2017 07:18PM
I posted this a couple of years ago. Don't know if this will be of any help, but here's the link again just in case you can get something out of it...

www.dankowskidetectors.com/discussions/read.php?2,75351
July 09, 2017 07:57PM
The Sovereign with a meter is the best nickel detector out there. You can hunt in the pulltabs and can slaw and ID nickels better than you can with any other detector. I still have a GT and an XS2A that I use on the beach. I have tried others, but a chest mounted Sovereign is by far my favorite. I got a night hunt coming up and I started fondling the XS2A last night getting it ready. The XS2A is being used for 2 reasons. Security and water. If I get mugged {and that is a possibility where I am going}, and when the sun comes up I want to get at least knee deep. The XS2A is a 300.00 loss. Half that of the GT. And to be honest I believe the older Sovereigns hit just as well as a GT.
July 10, 2017 04:11AM
Corrected a stupid mistake in last post. Got crossed up in my mind of the 180 meter being analog and used a needle. Wow! Showing my age.

TexHunter... I came across your info somewhere else earlier and found it very interesting. I've bookmarked it. Thanks.

I've saw where some use an inexpensive volt/ohm meter and convert it to a 180. Could this be done just using a small digital volt meter? There's a lot of design and components not needed when you use a normal volt/ohm meter and would think a quality made volt meter would make for a smaller footprint. Since you're not using the meter to measure ohms and amperage, you don't really need it do you?
July 10, 2017 08:40AM
Hey conner, I used an inexpensive 180 meter that they sell, its a harbor freight voltmeter made to work on the Sov. It works well, but a 9v battery only lasts about 10 hours. And using a rechargeable 9v does not work in that meter. I picked up a used sunray meter for $130 last year and love it.
July 10, 2017 02:34PM
"If you're looking for a DTI meter, I have a few Genuine Minelab ones Unused.
A Sovereign XS meter with moving cursor (the very first type), the second model to suit the XS2's, Elite.
A Used but very clean third model to suit the GT
If interested PM for details"
July 10, 2017 06:03PM
Des...

PM sent. Thanks.
July 14, 2017 02:18AM
Des..

Sent you another PM today. Thanks.