Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

New Equinox video with a few tests

Posted by x2000 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
New Equinox video with a few tests
October 11, 2017 06:38AM
Here is a new Equinox video from Czech Republic. The man in the video is a big distributor (and a very experienced detectorist).

Link: [www.youtube.com]

P.s. At 7:56 he switches the reactivity to "8".
Re: New Equinox video with a few tests
October 11, 2017 12:34PM
I know everyone is into Recovery speed but everything points to speed makes ID accuracy bad people need to remember that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2017 12:35PM by GreenMeanie.
October 11, 2017 01:28PM
GreenMeanie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I know everyone is into Recovery speed but everyth
> ing points to speed makes ID accuracy bad people n
> eed to remember that.

"In the past", you meant to say. We will have to see.

Dean
October 11, 2017 02:07PM
bado1 Wrote:
> GreenMeanie Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I know everyone is into Recovery speed but every
> th
> > ing points to speed makes ID accuracy bad people
> n
> > eed to remember that.
>
>
> "In the past", you meant to say. We will have to s
> ee.
>
> Dean

Correct!-----Time (and hopefully improvements) marches on!-----Perhaps this is the one that will give us an improvement over both (speed & I.D.).-------As the gentleman said "we shall see".----------Del
October 11, 2017 02:19PM
GreenMeanie Wrote:
> I know everyone is into Recovery speed but everyth
> ing points to speed makes ID accuracy bad people n
> eed to remember that.

Judging by a different (Russian) video, the response without multi-frequency looks (a least for me) "all over the place". It probably won't set the world on fire as a single freqency unit. It looks "crippled", unable to extract the full potential (like some of the puzzles are missing, to work proper).
I assume, there will be no reason to use certain frequencies, because the performance could be compromised (compared to other single F. detectors). But it probably will excel with several frequencies combined. Based on this, I'm sure ML figured out how to extract the most accurate ID out of this multi-F. concept.
There also is a possibility to improve things in the future with some updates.

I'm really glad that something is finally happening, because there was no hope for progress. Only a few weeks ago it looked like we would have to hunt with the same detectors in 10 years...
October 11, 2017 04:24PM
x2000 Wrote:
>
> Judging by a different (Russian) video, the respon
> se without multi-frequency looks (a least for me)
> "all over the place". It probably won't set the wo
> rld on fire as a single freqency unit. It looks "c
> rippled", unable to extract the full potential (li
> ke some of the puzzles are missing, to work proper
> ).

It’s almost as if the videos are being made with unfinished prototype detectors...
October 11, 2017 04:36PM
"Thanks for finding and sharing the interesting video/s.

People are and excuse me for saying it but they're too quick off the starting blocks.

What is shown and has been shown thus far and discussed with gusto are PROTOTPE jobs

And are therefore subject to change / changes / massive changes.

It could be what we have seen AND heard this far will be completely different?
And I'd be the first person to agree with you, it sounds 'awful' but here's the rub, it's a prototype.

IMHO I'm thinking the manufacturers are 'too quick off the starting blocks' and causing / creating totally unnecessary confusion and people are doubting and second guessing their gear!
It's muddying the waters in what has up to recently been a fairly 'understandable' hobby. Understandable in the manner in which new models come out.
In the past they used to be [ ready to go, ready to buy, ] and test reports were [ valid ]
Unlike today where reams of BS gets written about products that aren't ready for sale / ready to buy yet.
When they are released....eventually, the 'hype' appears to die down quickly?

Case in point: good informative reports on the NEW AT Max are 'very thin on the ground' and the 'Impact' appears to have all but vanished!!!

Ok, I'm off the soap box now!!!"
October 11, 2017 06:20PM
That’s just the way marketing is done these days Des.

I’ve been to dealershows where we were handed polystyreen mockups, awesome promises and were asked to brainstorm about this or that product.
Add to that a release date in the near future and publicity through the correct channels.
Result is backorders, customers wanting/needing/complaining and you can count your blessings when it finally arrives it isn’t a complete and utter useless piece of CR@P.
And I’m talking about a global company that’s been in business for nearly a century.

On the other hand some companies have products that evolve, grow up, are more and more refined with each revision. And a new modell appears out of the blue and nobody new they actually needed it. But it’s a heavens blessing when it arrives.

And then you’ve got the decal, design, chrome and gadget guys. Oh dear, oh dear,... at least they are cheap :-)

We’re on the information super highway these days and the marketing guys are travelling at lightspeed.

HH
Johnb
October 11, 2017 06:31PM
Well, ok Des---but---I want my E800 and I want it NOW!!!---Make me a grand Christmas present!smiling smiley--------In all seriousness--in my short 42 yrs. since entering this hobby, I can't recall another detector being so talked about before release.-----Well, maybe the Racer---nah not that one either I guess.-------We can blame all this on the internet---yeah, it's all their fault!!winking smiley------Serious (again)--I do hope, hope they don't release it until it is ready & don't succumb to earlier release pressure.-----I think it's pretty obvious this "too quick off the starting blocks" business was to quell interest/early purchase in the competitions soon to be released units.-----Maybe they should all jump out of planes--seems to be working!--------BTW, an informed source stated there wouldn't be "massive" changes in the prototype but rather minor ones.----------Del
October 11, 2017 07:02PM
Of course one could argue it's a prototype, but I believe that at this stage the "foundation" is already set. I mean by that the multi-frequency concept. We don't know how this specific system works. Some people assumed that it will be slow (or at least slower than one frequency). What happened? It seems not to be the case... So maybe the proper way to run this detector is to use its all frequencies. Maybe it's gaining the real "strength" from every one of them. Maybe one frequency is just like one "weak" string inside of a paracord (you can use it, but it will fail, which means that there is nothing "wrong" with it - just use the cord with all strings inside).

ML could have added the single frequency choice for marketing purposes (because it can be done, it looks good on paper and makes the multi-F. shine even more - without having to compare it with other detectors at the same time).
I'm not saying, the single.F. will not be improved, but the present picture can reflect the characteristics (something that already is set in stone and will never change).

One more thing. It's not like a few prototype detectors got stolen from the ML factory with random people running around on YT, making videos about it. If they got permission to show it, the end result won't be completely different (in my opinion).

P.s. I'm just speculating. That's all we can do now... I'm glad we have something to think about.
October 11, 2017 08:22PM
Such hogwash that it takes years and years to make a metal detector. It's amazing they can make precision PCs in months but a metal detector, "Oh that will take 5-10 years" non-sense.
October 11, 2017 09:12PM
Most “new” computers are new packaging of the same technology - upgraded with new semiconductors and components which the OEM’s of those parts have been developing over a period of years. The computer builders spec out the new stuff - put it together and - boom - new machine.

Apple is the world’s largest company. New technology from them seems to take from 3 - 5 years to bring to market, based on the limited information they release.

Samsung introduces new stuff every year. Most of it is forgotten within a year or two because is just doesn’t work very well.

Small companies like our metal detector manufactirers can’t afford expensive mistakes. Taking time and taking care pay off in the long run.

Here’s a quote from Tim Cook, CEO of apple on this theme.

We don’t give a rat’s about being first, we want to be the best, and give people a great experience. But now anything you would see on the market anytime soon would not be something any of us would be satisfied with. Nor do I think the vast majority of people would be satisfied...Most technology challenges can be solved, but it’s a matter of how long."

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2017 02:35AM by lytle78.
October 12, 2017 02:26AM
Along those same lines, it was a running joke in the engineering department of the last company I worked for. When we were developing a new product the customer had three options.

1.) They (you) could have it right.
2.) They (you) could have it cheap.
3.) They (you) could have it fast.

The kicker was they (you) could only pick two. Unfortunately that's the way the system works. It doesn't matter if you're building metal detectors or satellites.

Chris
October 12, 2017 01:26PM
About why we don’t get new tech detector models every year or two. Here’s something Dave Johnson said a whild back when asked about the process of metal detector

“It's a compromise between what marketing department wants to sell, and what engineering department is capable of delivering. Some products require years of development of new technology before they're ready to sell-- for example, the CZ was ten years between initial concept and product introduction, and the development process went through 18 different prototype designs. Other products are adaptations of things already in existence and don't take very long to develop.”

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold