Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Hey Carl M. How can this detector work??

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Hey Carl M. How can this detector work??
November 25, 2017 01:35AM
[www.ebay.com]

Seems the coil is metal...? is the actual tubing the transmitter??? I would assume BFO??

Says an Apollo model...Wasn't apollo a line whites made for a private firm like their sears units..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
Re: Hey Carl M. How can this detector work??
November 25, 2017 02:18AM
I assume it's a BFO. Amongst my electronics bits and pieces I have an experimental BFO coil I made, which is entirely enclosed by a heavy braided cable screen ( of tinned copper ) and it didn't seem to affect the detection performance. It's purpose is shielding, to reduce capacitance effects that would take place when the coil was close to the ground.
November 25, 2017 02:44AM
I agree with Pimento... probably BFO, looks like the coil wires are shoved through the tubing and connected under the plate. All that excess aluminum gets tuned out.
November 25, 2017 04:15AM
Thanks Pimento And Carl..

First metal encased coil I've seen..!!!

Scouted around on ebay and saw this one also.. I believe it may be metal channel tubing ...
[www.ebay.com]

thanks

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
November 25, 2017 05:39AM
Yep, I have an old Roth similar to that one.

You can also make a coil out of tubing, where the tubing is the winding. This makes it a single turn coil. I've seen a PI detector with this kind of coil. The White's TM808 also uses a single-turn coils made from aluminum rod.
November 25, 2017 09:46AM
You could make your own 2-box, Keith ! Here's the Wait / Harrison project, published by ETI magazine.
[www.geotech1.com]

And (assuming you're registed at Geotech1 ) here's a neat example build, showing the thick wire used in the single-turn transmit and receive coils:
[www.geotech1.com]
November 25, 2017 02:01PM
A detector that can tune out aluminum??? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I have an idea!!!!.............................................