Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Explorer SE PRO battery charger question.

Posted by Welwood470 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Explorer SE PRO battery charger question.
December 15, 2017 02:17PM
I just acquired an SE Pro from a friend. When charging the red light comes on steady and remains so....
The manual doesn't seem to address the issue other than time required to charge (16 hrs.). Does the
red light just indicate power is available or are there any other conditions to look for i.e. color/flashing etc.
when the battery is fully charged?

TYIA
Re: Explorer SE PRO battery charger question.
December 15, 2017 03:10PM
Yep. The red light never goes out; it's more of a "power available" light, as you said. I'd usually place mine on the charger in the afternoon or early evening, before a hunt, and then assume that it was "good to go" in the morning, and it always was...

Steve
December 15, 2017 03:16PM
Thanks Steve, I thought that would be the case, just wanted to be sure. I wound up with
11.1 volts when the time factor didn't seem to produce any more.
December 15, 2017 03:32PM
Welwood -- since I never tested mine, I am not sure what a "new" battery would read, so can't compare, voltage-wise. But, no -- the red light doesn't "go off," or "flash," or anything else, to indicate that the battery is fully charged.

FWIW -- if you would like a backup rechargeable, I took one of my old/dead Minelab rechargeables to Interstate Battery, and had them re-build it. They replaced the stock rechargeables inside the pack with 2100 mAh Interstate batteries, while leaving Minelab's charging circuit intact. So it's now a 2100 mAh pack, that charges just like the original -- using Minelab's wall charger. I have run it through a dozen or so charge/discharge/recharge cycles over the past 2 years or so, and it's a GREAT battery. It lasts MUCH longer than even a brand-new Minelab 1800 mAh pack (I guess not surprising, as it's now 2100 mAh). Anyway, since I'm selling my last Explorer, I have that battery up for sale, if you have any interest/need...

Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2017 03:34PM by steveg.
December 15, 2017 06:05PM
"If it goes anywhere around 9.5 volts, it's gonna shut down the machine!"
December 15, 2017 09:52PM
What kind of voltage should I see on a full charge? This unit had been sitting in a
closet for 3+ years when I got it. The charger shows an output of 15 dc, with a meter
it reads 19.2 . Will the battery/charger circuitry regulate that?

I also have the 12v aa batt. pack for a backup. Thinking about the RNB m1-3100 if I can
save/find enough coins. smiling smiley
December 15, 2017 10:03PM
Welwood470 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What kind of voltage should I see on a full charge
> ? This unit had been sitting in a
> closet for 3+ years when I got it. The charger sho
> ws an output of 15 dc, with a meter
> it reads 19.2 . Will the battery/charger circuitr
> y regulate that?
>
> I also have the 12v aa batt. pack for a backup. T
> hinking about the RNB m1-3100 if I can
> save/find enough coins. smiling smiley

If memory serves me correctly around 11.2 volts

You likely won't know how good or bad your battery is until you use it.
Based on run time, in conjunction with battery meter indication.
Checking the battery for voltage as soon as the charger is removed after charging (supposed fully, won't necessarily paint true pic of battery's condition.
But after charging and checking, and say let sit idle for a couple days, and then check and it seems the voltage hasn't changed much = better indicator of a good battery.
Still though using the real tell all.

Sitting 3 years idle, not good for the battery.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2017 10:06PM by Sod-buster.
December 15, 2017 10:09PM
The RNB is a superb combo..... its like they never run down. They hold a 12 dcv and charge super fast. Thats so they dont exceed the 13 dcv the manual talked about when using other lipo batteries. Th standard charges I believe to between 13.6 and 14.2 dcv..... but obviously will be less under load.
December 16, 2017 12:06AM
Welwood470 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What kind of voltage should I see on a full charge
> ? This unit had been sitting in a
> closet for 3+ years when I got it. The charger sho
> ws an output of 15 dc, with a meter
> it reads 19.2 . Will the battery/charger circuitr
> y regulate that?
>
> I also have the 12v aa batt. pack for a backup. T
> hinking about the RNB m1-3100 if I can
> save/find enough coins. smiling smiley

"If you start to use the SE Pro on a regular basis, you will have 'to cycle up' the rechargeable.
At first it mightn't last 5hrs and might come as a shock when you hear the 'reverse down notes' that play when around 10 - 15mins are left before it shuts down the detector.
But after a few extra charges the life improves if cycled properly to the 11 - 13hrs you might expect.

The RNB3100 'is unnatural!'
It's got terrific shelf life. And can last twice to three times the life of the supplied rechargeable.
But, you have to ask yourself:"Am I keeping this SE Pro, or will I chop it sometime?"
If you answer 'Yes' to that Q. then don't buy an RNB"