Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Equinox 800 —- Is it me?

Posted by Gannon 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Equinox 800 —- Is it me?
March 11, 2018 03:54AM
Or is it my bum pin pointer?

So today I went to my favorite old school built in 1932. This site had a baseball field put in the back half (The back is a football field in total size or more)
I have been pulling Mercs, wheats, and other silver (6 total). Only the Etrac and Equinox has pulled them.

The 800 performed well today. I pulled a 1962 Rosie on edge near a lot of iron bits.

So I’m trying to conclude if my pin pointer, which is acting up, is causing my target location system (pin point, wiggle back to target etc) to be off..... or is it the coil it self?

I and others have wrote about this, but if the target is beyond 6 inches I really need to dig a 2’x2’ plug to find it!

I’ve used many detectors and usually I am very accurate on signal/target locating to dig.... but for some reason I keep missing targets when other Ferrus targets are near.

I’m hoping it’s my pin pointer (getting the Fisher F pulse next week). Anyone else having issues on locating deep targets in the hole you dig?

XP Deus
Minelab Etrac
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot
22 silvers, 2 silver rings, 1 Gold Ring -YTD 2018

Some of my random digs: [www.youtube.com]
Re: Equinox 800 —- Is it me?
March 11, 2018 04:03AM
It's not your pinpointer. It's the way Equinox is working. Coins tilted, you'll be off. Been there name done that many times already. Even thin relics tilted - same thing.
Better to go by where the detector is sounding off. X target if you can get 4 way signals, if only 2 way use that the best you can. Main thing, was there a find to be found? If yes, this is the important part.
March 11, 2018 12:46PM
'It might be the way the coil is wound - tightly - to get maximum sensitivity - had the same experience with the Tesoro Mojave last year - half my dug targets were 2" off to the LHS'
X-Tremely sensitive to 'on-edge' targets so pin pointing will be off?

A 2'ft x 2'ft hole sounds excessive?

Get yourself [ a serrated Wilcox ] hand digger and used in conjunction with a probe can result in easy recoveries with minimum ground disturbance.
There's another thread on here Re: shovel's / spades in parks - hate to see them in public places"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2018 03:35PM by Des D.
March 12, 2018 12:28AM
Des D Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 'It might be the way the coil is wound - tightly -
> to get maximum sensitivity - had the same experien
> ce with the Tesoro Mojave last year - half my dug
> targets were 2" off to the LHS'
> X-Tremely sensitive to 'on-edge' targets so pin po
> inting will be off?
>
> A 2'ft x 2'ft hole sounds excessive?
>
> Get yourself [ a serrated Wilcox ] hand digger and
> used in conjunction with a probe can result in eas
> y recoveries with minimum ground disturbance.
> There's another thread on here Re: shovel's / spad
> es in parks - hate to see them in public places"

The 2’x2’ hole was a hyperbole. A euphemism on an ever expanding hole due to outer coil sensitivity.

Today I had better luck using X pin pointing, wiggle on each target. Dug a 7 inch wheat in heavy iron. Blasting high tone.... perfectly centered the plug as I turned 90 to locate it.

XP Deus
Minelab Etrac
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot
22 silvers, 2 silver rings, 1 Gold Ring -YTD 2018

Some of my random digs: [www.youtube.com]
March 12, 2018 01:09AM
>
> Today I had better luck using X pin pointing, wigg
> le on each target.

Man that wiggle and locking ID is something. Dug a couple coins at 8-9" today with trash and iron near by.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2018 01:10AM by Mike C.