Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

One wonders...

Posted by Dan-Pa. 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
One wonders...
March 15, 2018 02:14PM
With the red racer being done away with will your kruzer become obsolete next fall when Makro introduces its newest unit.....something to think about...Makro Is moving awfully fast...
Re: One wonders...
March 15, 2018 02:56PM
Dan-Pa. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> With the red racer being done away with will your kruzer become obsolete next fall when Makro introduces its newest unit.....something to think about. ..Makro Is moving awfully fast...

Define 'obsolete'

Are the myriad of F75 variants deemed obsolete after each new iteration/sticker upgrade is released?
March 15, 2018 03:03PM
With most items that are produced, they have a sales shelf-life where it goes from profitable to break even to loss. they try to dicontinue a series before the break-even or loss stage.
March 15, 2018 03:27PM
not apples to apples comparison, imo.

On the one hand you have an instrument being offered that provides greater utility or features not in previous machines.
On the other you have, in general, the same machine being offered under a different name or in different colors, and perhaps a faster processor or different tones or a cheaper price.

It is a quandary. Do you prefer to have your better performance delivered more often in the form of new machines that you may buy or not, or delivered much more slowly or not at all (and you still have to buy the new iteration of the same machine)?

Wayne
March 15, 2018 03:37PM
Better question is "What will the next Fad detector offer over what is available now ?" I ain't buying into it, can't afford it. Maybe if I was one of the beta testers that get free detectors, then send it to me...LOL
March 15, 2018 04:54PM
That's why they are made cheaply like disposable razors.
They are only made to last till the next one comes out. Lmao!
March 15, 2018 05:24PM
I don't understand why people think that when a new machine comes out, everything else becomes obsolete. I still use the Red Racer for a good deal of my hunting and have had great success with it. With the Racer 2, it gave me a few features that I really wanted, tone break and iron audio. Both are simple to use and set up and they offer all I need or want.
March 15, 2018 07:30PM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> That's why they are made cheaply like disposable r
> azors.
> They are only made to last till the next one comes
> out. Lmao!

Really? How many detectors have you worn out to the extent it had to be replaced?

I will agree with you about the 'made to be thrown away' degree of quality if you're talking about those generic China sourced ones sold alongside cut rate tools at Harbor Freight and private labeled for some retail outlets. But most models from reputable manufacturers, even the inexpensive ones, seem sturdy enough to last 15+ years with typical hobbyist use and care. I expect the MTBF (mean time between failure) for current detectors has actually improved. I've only owned 1 machine that I've sent in for repair and that ended up being a coil that was defective.

I agree with Oregongregg, current models are not less capable because a new model comes out. Of course it's the job of marketing to lead us to want the latest and greatest models, correct? Auto manufacturers have annual model changes with significant changes every 4 to 5 years, yet the average vehicle age in the US is something like 12 years. Is 90% of the US fleet 'obsolete'? Yes, newer models are incrementally better but it seems to me that in most contexts 'obsolete' is a marketing term.
March 15, 2018 07:39PM
gravityrules, I haven't worn any out as I use a Fisher CZ-3D and an Etrac. Both built like tanks. The Detectors being made today for the most part look like they would break if You drop them on a carpeted floor. Ha.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2018 07:41PM by Harold,ILL..
March 15, 2018 07:58PM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> gravityrules, I haven't worn any out as I use a Fi
> sher CZ-3D and an Etrac. Both built like tanks. Th
> e Detectors being made today for the most part loo
> k like they would break if You drop them on a carp
> eted floor. Ha.

Looks are deceiving.

Newer manufacturing standards offer higher quality and strength plastics, and carbon fiber, which make current models lighter and more durable.

Imagine if the same line of thinking was applied to modern automobiles.
March 15, 2018 07:59PM
Harold, that's about right for the Chinese cheapies, I've seen several example of that. Otherwise I think I've only seen one low end bounty hunter that was broken and that was due to the owner falling on the machine! I'm sure there are many stories about the ruggedness or fragility of certain models. For anything beyond a toy, outdoor use should mean there's some degree of ruggedness in the design.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2018 08:00PM by gravityrules.
March 15, 2018 08:03PM
The last time I checked, Harold, tanks weighed a whole lot. I don't figure you for a youngster; how are you holding up detecting with tanks?
What profiteth a man if his detector holds up due to being built like a tank, but the weight of that detector breaketh down the man?

Wayne
March 15, 2018 08:14PM
ncwayne, I am in My Fiddys. To be honest I never had trouble swinging a CZ with the 8" coil. The Etrac can get a little heavy with the Pro coil after a long hunt, But I mostly use the Sunray X-8 Coil so that keeps it balanced nice on end of rod.
Now a Nautilus on a S- Rod is another story. Can not swing that one anymore as it was killing My arm. Did the Whites rod conversion and that helped some.
But I do have a Golden uMax and it is a pleasure to swing I must admit. And sturdier than it looks. So I can see Your point as a lot of Tesoro uMaxs are still going strong.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2018 08:21PM by Harold,ILL..
March 15, 2018 09:46PM
Once again, looks can be deceiving. I remember seeing a video of a crash test between a heavy 60's Chevy being run head on into some late model lightweight car with plastics and thinner metal.

You'd have expected the newer car to be the loser, but the result was that the driver of the heavy car would have been crushed, the driver of the newer lightweight car would have likely been ok. Engineering...
March 16, 2018 12:50AM
Wow that post was side tract....don't get me wrong Mackro makes excellent units however unlike American units made for short time and discontinued....who is going to repair them and how about parts...???....in addendum if I wasn't in last stages of hobby would be kruzin and noxin like the rest of you guys...Just food for thought....
March 16, 2018 01:37AM
Dan, I got a feelng You would still have a CZ in the line up. Ha!
March 16, 2018 01:09PM
Harold for true raw depth coil for coil CZ's excel....for all around performance Racer 2 excels..