Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Lower Number of Tones= More Depth?

Posted by charlives 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Lower Number of Tones= More Depth?
March 14, 2018 03:59PM
Does anyone know if (generally speaking) lower numbers of tones equate to more depth? Example, would my 2 tones setting get deeper than my 5 or 50 tone settings? My hypothesis was made because I guessed the computer has to do less things on lower numbers. Then I tested it (I'm no scientist) and 2 tones did in fact come out a half inch deeper than 5 tones...BUT 50 tones turned out to be the same as 2 tones. So, I'm not sure what to make of it, but I figured you folks would already know this. Thanks!
Re: Lower Number of Tones= More Depth?
March 14, 2018 10:46PM
What a coincidence.......I just now came up with the same question. I'll be watching for an answer also.
March 14, 2018 10:51PM
Which machine??

F75/T2 Racer Impact etc can be deeper in two tone but that's by design..there processes ..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
March 14, 2018 11:13PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Which machine??
>
> F75/T2 Racer Impact etc can be deeper in two tone
> but that's by design..there processes ..
>
> Keith
Equinox 600
March 15, 2018 04:36PM
I came from the T2 Keith...where I used 2+ tones almost exclusively, not for the depth but rather for the shape and size 2+ gives. Nice to hear that it was also deeper. Anyone know how the number of tones affects depth on other machines...or are all machines different in this regard?
March 17, 2018 08:23PM
I've posted this question on a few sites...no answers....I guess all number of tone choices give you the same depth....except on the T2, Racer, F75 that Keith mentioned.
March 18, 2018 01:25PM
It's still early days yet. Perhaps time will tell. In my own experience, I haven't noticed a difference. BUT, I have done very little hunting in 2 tones. I'm a fan of multi (50 tones in this case) tones and have trouble trying anything else. 5 tones is a good selection for me as well. I'm used to hunting multi tones on the E-Trac and, it seems to me, that once you become comfortable deciphering multi tones,because of the all the information it conveys, that it is difficult to go back to just two or even three tones. IMO, deeper is not necessarily better. The strength of this machine is it's ability to convey information about targets in very trashy ground.

Dean
March 18, 2018 01:40PM
Thanks, bado1! I'm new to Minelab so I guess I'm easing my way in with 2 tones...I'm not happy with the info I'm getting from those two EQX tones...but 5 and 50 tones sounds like a 2nd grade recorder class when I'm in trash. It will just take time for my ear to understand the language. Thanks again!
March 18, 2018 03:43PM
I mostly use 2 tone, i might use 3 tone if i hit a lot of coke. My Signum has a multi tone which has no depth loss that i can find.
March 18, 2018 06:23PM
Charlives..

It would be in the processing ...these new units do some much Digitally now, unless you know the engineers mind or what he HAD or WANTED to do we just find it out as we run them..

T2/F75 Racers etc use Two tone as a Deeper TONE mode,, different process..Deeper than the VDI is capable of more or less simply speaking..

So your unit may also be using some sort of deeper processing for audio only in the unit.??

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
March 18, 2018 08:51PM
That's a good question, Keith...I'm talking about sound only....I meant my question to be about tones only. I should have mentioned that. I didn't even look at the VDI on my T2 when the target was a foot down. I know the T2 has separate aural and VDI processes , which do help, but the sound was king to me on the T2. Edit- now you just gave me another question spinning smiley sticking its tongue out ... about VDIs and how THEY react to different modes, tone number choices, etc

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2018 08:57PM by charlives.
March 18, 2018 11:57PM
Park 1 has the nearest to the "charts" VDI numbers. Field 2 up scales the VDI numbers on coins in my variable soils. Yesterday, I had Wheat Cents coming in at 27-29 in Field 2. They come in at 25-26 in Park 1 ( copper penny) and zinc pennies 19-21 ad nauseum. It's all good...I now know that in Field 2 Wheat Cents come in consistently 27-29. Clad dimes come in the same.

It takes a little time to get the hang of multi tones. Keith has an excellent video on YouTube demonstrating the difference between a trash target and a coin in multi tones on a Safari (? If memory serves). Once you get multi tones you won't go back, IMO.

The Equinox loves round things! The VDI just locks in tight on round objects. I dug a small two piece cuff button yesterday that was a solid 8 on the VDI. In mixed modern/historic trash sites an 8 is usually a piece of aluminum pull tab but will be somewhat bouncy. This target was a solid 8 in all directions so I dug it and was rewarded with the button.

Dean