Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

About to hit deep turf with the new Nox. And ....

Posted by Tom_in_CA 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
About to hit deep turf with the new Nox. And ....
March 21, 2018 12:02PM
Hey guys, Nox arrived on Monday. Got it charged up. Have only had time to glance through the instructions in a cursory fashion so far. And had a talk on the phone with Cal-Cobra about his know-how so far.

Question: I've paired my wireless headphones, no problem. However, I notice that when I power back on, I am no longer linked to the headphones. I have to pair-them-up all over again . What am I doing wrong ?

Next questions: I'm heading to a certain park in CA that's given up lots of old silver over the years. It's pretty worked out these days. But ... with my Explorer II, I can usually still muster up a few wheaties, IHs, silver, etc.... @ each multi-hour effort there nowadays. The silver *starts* at 6" . Anything less than that is usually clad. And the silver can be up to 8 or 9" deep (the deep fluty classic "tinkling-flute" sound on the Exp II smiling smiley). The junk and clad to pass here is fairly typical of urban parks. So we mentally ignore the shallow targets. Nor are we being "heroes" and angling for gold rings or nickels in this park. It's just cherry picking for deeper copper/silver, for today's test.

So I'm planning on using Park-1 Because park -2, according to the instructions, would be for if I were wanting more sensitivity to smaller conductors (which isn't my objective today). And I plan to knock out all the TID's from about 19 and downwards. (either that, or accept all them all, and then just use my ears to decide what to chase). And I plan to bump up the factory preset sens. to 21 or 22. Depending on if it still stays stable.

So can anyone else give me any other quick and dirty settings to add to Park 1, for this maiden voyage test ? For example: Might I expect a bolder signal on a deep high conductor, if I switch over to 5 khz ? (since that's said to favor high conductors) ?

I know that the immediate knee jerk answer probably be "stick to the presets for your first 20 hunts" blah blah. But since I'll be testing this over flagged known targets (that my buddy & I are going to be flagging with my Explorer II and his Etrac), I would like to scroll through several setting options over flagged signals. And I don't want to come away with a poor review. ONLY to have others say: " you should have tried this" and "should have tried that " blah blah smiling smiley

So if anyone can venture some settings to scroll through, I'll be putting this to the test on flagged targets. And not only on suspected deep silver, but also over flagged suspected shallow zinc, tabs, etc... .To make sure that I'm not simply getting the same exact signal elsewhere, on stuff I'd have preferred to pass. I want to see if it can it compete with the fabled TIDs-at-depth that the Exp. II is known for.

I realize that this may be a "ground specific" outcome. Ie.: whereas it may not exceed an Exp. II in one certain type ground, yet it may do it in funkier soils that the Exp. II begins to wain in. I *get* that this is not the bullet-proof conclusive testing. Nor does it test for wet salt beach, relicky sites, micro-jewelry, etc... It's just for a single specific venue of hobby niche.

Looking forward to any tips you guys can lend.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2018 01:23PM by Tom_in_CA.
Re: About to hit deep turf with the new Nox. And ....
March 21, 2018 12:42PM
Do you have 800 model??
If so.

So after you paired your headphones, what are you doing when powering down?

If you just turn off detector and turn off headphones by pushing power button on them, then power both back on everything should be paired back after power on both.
Don't turn off the pairing by hitting top right button on side of detector.
When powering down the wireless and detector. It makes no difference in the order of which is turned off first.
When powering on the wireless and detecfor. It makes no difference in the order of which is turned on first.

Park 2 is deeper.
Try that one when comparing your targets.
Do auto GB.
Sens at 23
Speed 6
Multi freq
Try and leave GB tracking off

If you are dead set on using park 1, at the very least lower iron bias down to between 0-2.
If your ground has high mineral, might consider raising speed from 5 to 6.

I recommend you stay in Multi freq.

Wish I was there I would locate some targets/coins and see if your explorer could hit.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2018 01:31PM by tnsharpshooter.
March 21, 2018 12:52PM
I do the same type of hunting for deep silver in parks. I use Park 2 and a recovery speed of 6 (3 on my 600). It seems to give better depth than Park 1.

If you're going to experiment, I'd like to know how 5kHz does on deep silver compared to multi. That should be the best single frequency for silver.
March 21, 2018 01:25PM
Good luck on your hunt. Bring home a 20 cent piece.
March 21, 2018 01:30PM
Bayard Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'd like to know ho
> w 5kHz does on deep silver compared to multi. Tha
> t should be the best single frequency for silver.

Thanx guys for the tips so far.

Bayard: Your post made me realize that I had a typo in my post. I had written "40 khz" when I had meant 5 kHz. So I fixed that now.

As for park -2 being deeper: If that's deeper, why was air tests, in their stock programs, getting deeper in park -1 for me? I was testing each with a USA dime.
March 21, 2018 01:35PM
Tom_in_CA Wrote:
> Bayard Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I'd like to know ho
> > w 5kHz does on deep silver compared to multi. T
> ha
> > t should be the best single frequency for silver
> .
>
>
> Thanx guys for the tips so far.
>
> Bayard: Your post made me realize that I had a ty
> po in my post. I had written "40 khz" when I ha
> d meant 5 kHz. So I fixed that now.
>
> As for park -2 being deeper: If that's deeper, w
> hy was air tests, in their stock programs, gettin
> g deeper in park -1 for me? I was testing each wi
> th a USA dime.

I can only tell you what I have seen using my unit for over 130 hours.
In medium to medium high mineralized dirt.
But hey you can compare the modes over the fbs detector located targets, then you will know first hand.
Just be advised iron bias park 1 is set too high IMO. Needs to be lowered.
Park 2 it is already at 0.
Single freq like 5khz likely won't buy you anything for depth, especially in medium to higher mineralized soil.
Done been there and done that.
But hey, you find out when you compare multi to single freq ops.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2018 01:37PM by tnsharpshooter.
March 21, 2018 01:39PM
What the other guys said. Park 2. Don't hesitate to turn the recovery speed up to 7. With your experience on the Explorer you would probably prefer multi (50) tones. Go in to target tones in advanced settings and turn the t2 tones up to 25 to give the largest spread of tones. Silver will be a very high tone like on the Explorer (it gives that nice "silver warble"). I dug a Merc yesterday at 7-8". I knew it was a silver coin the moment I went over it due to the "warble". It's ID was 31-32. You definitely have an advantage coming from the Explorer being familiar with multi tones. Good luck!

Dean
March 21, 2018 03:55PM
Tom I hunt old deep coins in a similar style as you, ignoring most shallow targets except for areas with less sink rate..
I have been doing very well with very deep coins in Park 1 and Field 1... Iron Bias 0-2 and Recovery between 4 and 6
with an occasional bump to 7 depending on conditions..
If you are going to knock out your TIDs I would drop it at least one more notch to 18 for the Indian Heads..
They have typically been ringing up 20-21 once centered but I have seen the IDs flash from 18 to 24..

You might also consider setting up a two tone program and adjusting the lower unwanted range to a really low tone and volume
rather then notching.. Then just chase your High tones..

The top surface to around 5” of depth has very poor modulation but the real deep coins sound very nice..
You will know when your on to one.. It’s a very deep detector..

Good luck!

Bryan
March 21, 2018 04:06PM
One more thing Tom.. If you decide to go after Nickels, they seem to hold to a very tight ID compared to the high conductors..
They do not bounce much and so far I have not dug one that has strayed from 12-13 with the majority of them at 13..
They come in very strong at depth and sound really nice..

Bryan
March 21, 2018 04:22PM
I can't wait to hear how it does in a deep coin hunting situation. You also use the Explorer II so should be interesting.
March 21, 2018 08:02PM
Cabin Fever Wrote:
> One more thing Tom.. If you decide to go after Ni
> ckels, they seem to hold to a very tight ID compar
> ed to the high conductors..
> They do not bounce much and so far I have not dug
> one that has strayed from 12-13 with the majority
> of them at 13..
> They come in very strong at depth and sound really
> nice..
>
> Bryan

Spot on! If the the numbers bounce just once up to 14 or down to 11 it's not a nickel.

Dean
March 21, 2018 08:28PM
bado1 Wrote:
> Cabin Fever Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > One more thing Tom.. If you decide to go after
> Ni
> > ckels, they seem to hold to a very tight ID comp
> ar
> > ed to the high conductors..
> > They do not bounce much and so far I have not du
> g
> > one that has strayed from 12-13 with the majorit
> y
> > of them at 13..
> > They come in very strong at depth and sound real
> ly
> > nice..
> >
> > Bryan
>
> Spot on! If the the numbers bounce just once up to
> 14 or down to 11 it's not a nickel.
>
> Dean

Initially a solid 14 turned out to be an 18K gold ring for me smiling bouncing smiley

Subsequent 14's were pull tabs sad smiley although have to say the ring signal stood out, locked, screaming signal.

YMMV smoking smiley
March 22, 2018 02:42AM
Tom,

You are right on track IMO.

I have not ventured from Park 1 yet, for the same reasons you feel compelled to use it. I WILL, eventually; Park 2 MAY prove deeper, in my soil. But I've been "learning" the machine in Park 1.

YES, bump sens. to the level where you are still "quiet," but on the verge of noise. For me, I can often run 25 and not be chattery, but sometimes, it is 21 or 22...

YES, run multitones (my opinion). You are used to Minelab multitone, from your Explorer, so do it. NO, they are not "the same" audio. Not saying they are. But -- your mind is trained to listen for only the tones you want to hear, so do it.

Turn off your disc, using the horseshoe button. The iron audio on this machine is "unobtrusive" in my opinion, but helpful. The "spread" between the highest iron tone and the lowest non-ferrous tone is already pre-set to be quite wide, but as dbado said, you can even make it wider, if you like. AND, you can turn that volume down on the iron if you wanted to, just to make it even MORE "unobtrusive." But, I really like it on (i.e. no disc), for unmasking purposes. I would run recovery speed somewhere around 5 or so (up or down one as you so choose), as others have said. I'd run iron bias down around 2 or 3, as others have said.

Modulation is not the greatest in the first 4-5 inches. It's better on deep targets. You can hear when you are over a deep one. Pinpoint VCO helps ALOT on depth -- it gives "intelligence" as to depth of your target.

My opinion? Plan to run in Multi, and if you are curious about 5 kHz switch over to 5 when you are over a suspected good target, and answer your curiosity about 5 kHz that way. But don't run it full time that way. You are giving up the "magic" of the unit, to hunt it full time, in your application (deep coins), to run in single freq. The 5 kHz "bottlecap" check does work, though, (and I will be trying it on nickels, as well). But I digress...but I would not plan to hunt it predominantly in 5 kHz. Multi is where it's at, in my STRONG opinion. LOL!

I will be very interested to hear your take on it, after this hunt. You hunt the same way I do. I am interested in your take...

ONE more thing. As an FBS user, I think you are familiar with what I mean when I say that you have to work REAL HARD, concentrating hard, working the target hard, trying to tease a target out of iron (and figure out if you are getting a nail "false," or an actual co-locate). Well, it is MUCH easier to do with the Equinox. The PROCESS is the same, but it is MUCH better at alerting you to a non-ferrous co-locate, AND -- it's TRUSTWORTHY. My advice, from FBS user to FBS user, is give it more "trust" when it tells you there's a non-ferrous down there intermingled with iron, than you would be inclined to on your Explorer. This machine will not "fool" you nearly as often; I have quickly learned to trust it. If it says something is down there, and I do a little interrogating and my instinct says "dig," it's more often than not correct. I've become MUCH better, MUCH faster learning to pick out high conductors buried in iron with this unit, and it has surprised me. TRUST the EQ, if it's trying to tell you there's something down there in the nails (caveat -- this is at iron bias 2 or 3; not sure but I expect it would "lie" to you more with bias set to zero, until you really learn the unit...but for starting out...2 or 3 bias and then trust what it tells you!)

OH -- and on the headphone pairing...if you simply "turned off" the phones after the last use, then just turning them and the machine on, as tnss said, should re-pair the two. It can take several seconds, so be patient, but eventually they should pair "automatically."

Steve

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2018 02:45AM by steveg.
March 22, 2018 02:51AM
Park 2 is deepest in my soil.
March 23, 2018 01:02AM
So how did it go, Tom?
March 23, 2018 01:34PM
Crosby Wrote:
> So how did it go, Tom?

I am about to put the results of 2 different test locations. Will make a new post.