Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Need opinions on the Fisher F44 ......Keith....?

Posted by Sven1 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Need opinions on the Fisher F44 ......Keith....?
July 26, 2018 09:28PM
A club member messaged me, and I have never used a F44, can you help her out??

Hi Sven.
I’m stumped as to what metal to get. I sent the F11 back as you were right, it was a piece of shoyt.
I’d like to get the F44 but it looks like the F11 and I’m worried it too will be shoyty.
I just want a machine that’s not too pricey and that will work for me. I had that damn F2 for 9 years and since it broke I’ve had 3 detectors since and just haven’t been happy.
When it comes to detectors I trust your word because you know.
I don’t like the quest 20, I don’t like the look of it and don’t want rechargeable anything.
Should I take my chance with the F44?

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
Re: Need opinions on the Fisher F44 ......Keith....?
July 27, 2018 09:31AM
If I can make a comment. It is one of my favorite metal detectors to use. Nothing cheap about it.thumbs down
July 27, 2018 09:49AM
There have been some favorable comments on it over on the F forum at Finds. HH jim tn
July 27, 2018 10:51AM
Sven,

It sounds like this is a person that is very hard to please!

I would like to establish which '3 detectors' she had since the F2 broke?

If she has tried and returned an F11, then I am almost positive that she won't like the F44?

Having said that, when it was introduced I contacted a few folks in order to get one for a Field Test: they offered everything else except the F44...so I never got one!
I'd still like to try it!

Having said that (repeating myself here Lol) I trawled a few reports about it and a well-known tester, tested it for a US mag and in his formidable style, it read as if one should read between the lines!
MD Hunter didn't rate it for reasons of resembling two other 'cheaper' Fisher's.
I'm aware of just one person in my area who debated the very same Q. He has since purchased two and appears to be happy with them?

The thing is, with 'First Texas' what you get is a bit like 'White's' in packaging a number of units in similarly specced packages.

So, what to do with this person? If, if she has another 'bad experience', I'd give a guess that it'll be the end of the hobby for her?

So, my suggestion would be: advise her to look around for a 'second hand more expensive unit', and I'd suggest the "Fisher F 75" as she is familiar with the brand! It's a proven detector, is a powerful professional machine and is favoured by our Forum owner! I had one and really Rated it: sadly, it got 'thrown out' in a warehouse clearance..."

Just my 2c worth.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2018 12:24PM by Des D.
July 27, 2018 01:26PM
The F44 will require a headphone purchase. White's Prostars (50 ohm) or Koss QZ99 (60 ohm) work well with it. She will not be able to use 8, 16 or 32 ohm headphones with it and be happy.

The F2/F4 has deep roots in detector design. She may want to move to the F4 and stay with the same DNA.

HH
Mike
July 27, 2018 10:15PM
Just buy a Racer 2 and be done with it smiling smiley
July 27, 2018 10:20PM
So many choices, even within the FTP portfolio.

I assume a 'new', not used detector is desired.

The Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro is about $232 on that 'sells everything' site.
No personal experience with that detector but it and the F44 are bound to share DNA.

F44 does have the advantage of being water resistant.

Nothing wrong with the Teknetics Minuteman, $149 drop shipped from tekneticsdirect, that price requires a coupon code your friendly dealer can supply.
If the club member was OK with the fixed GB of the F2 then the fixed GB of the Minuteman (aka EuroTek Pro) shouldn't be a problem.

And then there's the Teknetics Patriot, $399 same drop shipped deal as above.
July 28, 2018 07:35PM
Just my opinion...If the above mentioned user had a Fisher F2 with concentric coil then Id recommend the Tek Euro with 8 concentric. If he/she had the 11dd with the F2 then Id recommend the Tek Euro Pro having the same dd coil. The frequencies are very close (to the F2) and the GB is also pre-set (adj GB can pose a problem if the user isnt familiar). The Tek Euro will be a slight upgrade, so shouldnt be hardly a learning curve. Love the adj iron-volume too. Some people find it fun to tweak a zillion settings.......having detector control boxes looking more like the cockpit of a 747. Some others just like the occasional stroll through the park with a one button wonder metal detector. The definition of fun is up to the user. I have only heard great things about the F75....just not sure how this particular user would cope with the drastic change. Hope everything works out. Thanks
July 28, 2018 08:19PM
She has her heart set on the F44 after watching videos, reading more reviews, the good and the bad. Overall she said the F44 will fit her needs. An plans on getting one.

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
July 28, 2018 09:33PM
I know the F4 was a really a good model...so the F44 should be in the same ballpark. Not sure what all detector models have their version of "ground-grab", but this has taken out some of sting to ground balancing. Some models have both push button GB and manual...kinda nice. Anyways, hope she enjoys and bonds with the F44
July 29, 2018 09:24PM
Classic example of detector subjectivity! There will always be fans and foes for every device. Fisher/First Texas is a top manufacturer and makes very good stuff in my opinion (subjective, true). Nothing wrong with an F44. There are also a ton of other units that will work well, some better than others. Most people are strongly influenced by finds and much of that is dependent on what they swing over. We all get better with practice. Some are more motivated or just stubborn others are going to get shifted priorities and the detector will become best friends with a broom or shovel.

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
July 29, 2018 10:09PM
PT, well said.

We obsess about the differences between flocks of excellent detectors. None are perfect and their peculiarities delight and frustrate us. Fun ain’t it!

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2018 10:10PM by lytle78.
July 30, 2018 12:39AM
Not one metal detector will do it all.....not even the newest.....at least until the next newest...lol. Most I think, have more than one tool in their tool box. Fun times.
August 01, 2018 08:27PM
Sven1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> She has her heart set on the F44 after watching vi
> deos, reading more reviews, the good and the bad.
> Overall she said the F44 will fit her needs. An pl
> ans on getting one.

I think it will be fine. Haven't used one myself, but I have a F22 in my collection that is surprisingly good for the money, and the F44 seems to be a step up from that.