Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

EQX 800 Gold 1 relic hunting question

Posted by Badger in NH 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
EQX 800 Gold 1 relic hunting question
December 11, 2018 12:57PM
I've been relic hunting with the Equinox using Gold 1 and it has been going well. It runs smooth and I like the tone quality. It works so well that I've been calling it Relic mode.

In my test garden, Gold 1 multi gets at least 2" more depth on a silver dime and 3" more depth on a silver quarter than Park or Field modes. My dirt is fairly mineral free in my garden and at most of my sites. Occasionally I might run into some hot rock situations.

So far, I've only done depth testing with silver coins. My garden consists of 3 silver dimes at 10",11" and 12" and 3 silver quarters at 13", 14" and 15". They have been in the garden at that precise depth for seven years. Gold 1 gets all six coins. Park and Field can only detect the 10" dime.

My question is, if Gold 1 has this far superior depth on silver coins, would there ever be any advantage in using Park, Field or the lower single frequencies when relic hunting?

Edited 14 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2018 05:00PM by Badger in NH.
Re: EQX 800 Gold mode question
December 11, 2018 01:15PM
Badger in NH Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've been relic hunting with the Equinox using Gol
> d 1 and it has been going well. It runs smooth and
> I like the tone quality.
>
> In my test garden, Gold 1 multi gets at least 2" m
> ore depth on a silver dime and 3" more depth on a
> silver quarter than Park or Field modes. My dirt i
> s fairly mineral free in my garden and at most of
> my sites. Occasionally I might run into some hot r
> ock situations.
>
> So far, I've only done depth testing with silver c
> oins. My garden consists of 3 silver dimes at 10",
> 11" and 12" and 3 silver quarters at 13", 14" and
> 15". They have been in the garden at that precise
> depth for about ten years.
>
>
> My question is, if Gold mode has this far superior
> depth on silver coins, would there ever be any adv
> antage in using Park, Field or the lower single fr
> equencies?
>
> .

Emi could be a reason to use other detect modes and or single freq ops depending.
For relic hunting discounting Emi possible factor = No imo,

For selective digging say in a modern trash site = Yes
Equinox can ID higher conductors better commingled with lower conductive trash (in some detecting situations) using other modes vs gold modes. Usually a person will find Park 1 and field 1 detect modes will do better here, along with single freq 5khz. Again the actual detecting scenario as far as trash and higher conductive must exist.

See this video I did. Granted I didn’t sweep the scenario(s) using gold detect modes with EQX.
[m.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2018 01:20PM by tnsharpshooter.
Re: EQX 800 Gold 1 relic hunting question
December 12, 2018 05:17AM
I use Gold 2 while relic hunting colonial sites. So far no problem. 20 or 40 kHz?
December 12, 2018 02:19PM
Thanks for the replies. I had a feeling that the other modes might be useful around iron or for good targets commingled with non-ferrous trash. I like the idea of using 5 kHz.

I haven't tried Gold 2 yet. That's awesome to know that it will work as well. I have a colonial cellar near my house that I've been hunting for 20 years. I test all my machines there. Now I have some new settings to try.

December 13, 2018 12:32AM
Yes Gold is the way to get the EQ to show its attributes..

May not be for everybody but its got more punch and spark.And has better unmasking if you listen to it in iron.But you have to be willing to push past beeps and learn nuances of sputters crackles etc.

like any other machine find its strongest point and utilize and learn the setting to get the edge..The gold is the less filtered more old school feel and although noisier its pushing the limits where IDs and tones etc are not required or even can be a hindrance to gain performance.anytime on a unit you start applying to much fitering/disc etc on site's you miss targets.

What do we use to hunt for relics in dense iron and in mineralized ground looking for low conductors?Gold machines or machines based off gold platforms.the Equinox gold field is gold machine platform and is the way to push the machine.

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
December 13, 2018 12:54AM
Is multi used mainly with gold mode in the iron or does anyone run the higher single frequencies?
December 13, 2018 01:03AM
Pedlar mills Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is multi used mainly with gold mode in the iron or
> does anyone run the higher single frequencies?

I don’t generally run higher single freqs hunting anywhere really.
Can say with 100% certainty.
In my area anyways, there will be targets had using multi freq even using detect modes besides gold modes, where single freq usage when checking the already located targets..a swing and a miss. ALL single freqs tried.
Not on all.
But in areas where I had pounded with Deus seemed happened more.
So evidently one might could presume very challenged target buried.