Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Could be misunderstanding of phrase “detector doesn’t like dirt disturbed”.

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Could be misunderstanding of phrase “detector doesn’t like dirt disturbed”.
December 28, 2018 03:50AM
I see folks commenting on how some models like or even dislike soil disturbed when it comes to detecting finds.
Minelab Equnox has been mentioned for one.

Minelab equinox actually does well in disturbed soil. Does very similar to Xp Deus. Deus does well too.

There is a difference in saying a detector does well or not in disturbed soil.
When I see term (detector likes disturbed dirt), I instantly think likes or is above average performer in/with plowed fields, tilled fields, freshly buried targets.
Yes when dirt is taken out of a hole and detector fails to detect or calls nonferrous actually ferrous by way of tone and or ID. This is NOT disturbed dirt scenario rather this is no dirt or less dirt over target with more air gap.

Equinox doesn’t like space so much between coil and ground. And yes it don’t Like dirt taken out of hole.
But freshly buried targets it does well, compared to other VLF detectors. At least my experiences.

This talking of disturbed dirt may be referred to having difficulty detecting nonferrous finds in plugs removed from hole. I have witnessed. What I can’t say is why exactly. It could be nonferrous target has been masked by repositioning of ferrous and or orientation of nonferrous target changed for the worse in a plug once removed, or turned over on its side , etc.

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2018 04:16AM by tnsharpshooter.
Re: Could be misunderstanding of phrase “detector doesn’t like dirt disturbed”.
December 28, 2018 11:23AM
I believe Daniel described the situation quite well in his post. I commented on it, and to be honest I thought I described it well myself. Thank goodness you are around for clarification. What would a post be like without your comment or clarification? Lost in translation I assume. Oh how I love the ignore button at friendly.
December 28, 2018 12:12PM
Good morning Goodmore.
You know how many times I have either got misguided using pinpointer trying to locate a find after hole was dug. Or wanted to try and expedite recovery of a find because I couldn’t hit with pinpointer. And actually covered hole back up and swept with Equinox and other detectors for verification of find still buried????
Loads of times.
It doesn’t work all the time but does work quite often.
Usually these situations happen with deeper targets. For me anyways.

So in closing airgap with fill dirt allows detector to signal on some targets yet dirt has been disturbed.

And new detectorists. I’ll bet early in their detecting carreers they infact leave originally detected finds in the ground unknowingly. Due to behavior of detector when dirt is removed.

So Goodmore maybe this thread not a total loss. Some beginners at least may read here.

Ashamed it takes an ignore button to control one’s behavior.
Myself I see the topic, I see the author of thread and can make a decision if I want to read or not.

You have a good day Goodmore.
December 28, 2018 12:25PM
You not only read you feel compelled to comment.

You can't stop yourself.

Feel free to have the last word. This by the way is my last reply to you. You and your bff have given me reason to ignore 95 percent of the posts on all forums. You posted on them.
December 28, 2018 12:27PM
No Goodmore.
Actually if you will read in my second post. I gave additional information related to first post.

I didn’t see you here giving any info period concerning this topic I started here on the forum.

Have a nice day Goodmore.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2018 12:30PM by tnsharpshooter.
December 28, 2018 09:27PM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good morning Goodmore.
> You know how many times I have either got misguide
> d using pinpointer trying to locate a find after h
> ole was dug. Or wanted to try and expedite recove
> ry of a find because I couldn’t hit with pinpointe
> r. And actually covered hole back up and swept wi
> th Equinox and other detectors for verification of
> find still buried????
> Loads of times.
> It doesn’t work all the time but does work quite o
> ften.
> Usually these situations happen with deeper target
> s. For me anyways.
>

Ages ago I got a dime signal at a historic park. Dug a nice 4" diameter plug maybe 5" deep. When I checked the hole with my CZ5, the target vanished! I tested the CZ many times using this scenario with similar results. I had a cheap pinpointer and located the clad dime just under the dirt in the hole.
> So in closing airgap with fill dirt allows detecto
> r to signal on some targets yet dirt has been dist
> urbed.
>
> And new detectorists. I’ll bet early in their det
> ecting carreers they infact leave originally detec
> ted finds in the ground unknowingly. Due to behav
> ior of detector when dirt is removed.
>
> So Goodmore maybe this thread not a total loss. S
> ome beginners at least may read here.
>
> Ashamed it takes an ignore button to control one’s
> behavior.
> Myself I see the topic, I see the author of thread
> and can make a decision if I want to read or not.
>
> You have a good day Goodmore.
I have seen the same thing with the Deus and got it on film too. Just cant remember which video. I really cant figure out why all the experts or elders on here feel the need to even open a thread because they already know everything...why would they even read what us bottom feeders post? eye rolling smiley That's directed at you goodmore….

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2018 11:10PM by calabash digger.