Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

CZ3D w/ 8" Coil

Posted by ozzie 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
CZ3D w/ 8" Coil
April 19, 2019 11:53AM
Sorry gents this 1021, 12.2" on a dime Tom tuned, isn't for sale.....this is is about the 8" coil.

I had off on Wednesday and was going to do some chores when my wife says " why don't you go detecting", love her.
She is a realtor and her team occasionally/rarely lists old 17 or 1800's homes. The women realtors sometimes ask me to put for sale signs in for them and I do with one hitch, If possible and the feeling is right, ask the owners of the old homes if I can detect their property. This one property has been held by generations in this family and was on the market, kind of sad that the owner can't keep up nor afford it....taxes are getting higher on this 11 acre. The only detectable area is around the house.....the rest is clogged with brush 6' high.

I had been there before and detected around the house area on week days when I was off. I used the f-75 LTD with the 11" dd and the 5"dd coils and the CZ with the 10.5" coil and a Explorer SE pro. The 75 found a large cent and an Indian head, both were 4 to 5 inches deep. The cz found the deeper items in the back yard.. a broach and other pieces. Clad with the SE.

I decided to dig out the 8" cz coil and try it out around the old house. The first hour, trash. I meandered to this spot at the back of the house that measures about 12'x15'. I had hit this area with all detectors above and pulled out modern clad pennies and junk. It is next to an old smokehouse and between gardens. This 8" coil on the cz surprised me, again. I know the unit doesn't fare well in trash/iron areas but it pulled a rabbit today. I get a high tone and about 7" deep, white shine is staring at me. A beautiful #10 silver thimble. I love digging them especially the silver variety. Same area less deep BAHM! a merc with iron nail in the hole. Couple feet over and several feet apart, 4 common wheats.

I have to show the homeowner the thimble, she wasn't home at the time. It may have been her grandmothers or her great grand mothers. It's a beautiful piece with some ornate design around it. I don't see any makers marks, only the size, #10. If she doesn't want it, that'd be great...I'd love to have it.

I had to tell this story because I didn't quite expect this coil to surprise me like that in iron/trash.....don't underestimate the cz with its 8" coil....sometimes it will wink at you.
Re: CZ3D w/ 8" Coil
April 19, 2019 12:24PM
Great story, thanks for sharing. I also get some perks when it comes to metal detecting from being a retired Real Estate Agent/Home Builder/Land Developer. For the first time, at a nail infested old site, that I have pounded with numerous detectors, I gave my CZ3D a try with the 5" inch search coil attached. Right from the get go I found a Indian Head penny. That made me a believer! Also, I'm finding a lot of Barber coins with my CZ detectors. I'm hooked on CZ detectors now. lol If you don't have one in your detector arsenal, you don't know what you're missing. Also they work great a really bad EMI sites.

tabman
April 19, 2019 01:08PM
Tabman, I will also have to slap on the 5".....haven't used that coil in years. Big notice for me also....how quiet it is compared to the f-75. I have to mute my headphones when I lay the 75 down to dig or it will make your head spin.....the cz is quiet as a church mouse....very refreshing.

I know that some boys are saying to themselves 'he should try such and such brand detector to unmask'....but this is what I have and use and has done me real good. I will eventually modern up, eventually.

Edit; Oh yea, tabman, forgot to mention.....you talking about Barbers uncovered a memory...I have dug more barbers in a day with the cz than with any other detector, 8 to be exact. Of course the site was a real good one and I swung over them, luckily.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2019 01:26PM by ozzie.
April 19, 2019 01:39PM
Ozzie, I had to put my F75 with DST back in my SUV because it was chattering so badly at the last site that I detected. I even switched over to boost mode and reduced the sensitivity to 20 and it still wouldn't stop its chattering. I'm not talking about a little chatter either, I'm talking about so much chatter that the detector couldn't be used. I pulled out my CZ and it didn't chatter......……. not a single time and the EMI wasn't affecting its depth as far as I could tell. Heck, even my Fisher Gold Bug Pro with the 5" x 10" coil attached which normally does great around EMI wasn't running all that smoothly at this particular site. Nothing that I've ever used works as good as the CZ does around EMI. If there is a detector that works better around EMI, I'd like to know!

tabman
April 19, 2019 02:10PM
Been using CZ's since the 6a came out, and always say the 8 inch coil is the best of the bunch on them.
Re: CZ3D w/ 8" Coil3
April 19, 2019 02:12PM
Yes people always talk about how they love iron but they also love coins in iron. I dug a silver Rosie with a nail in the hole couple weeks back as first Silver of the year. I posted a pic. on Montes AHRPS forum and Findmall's CZ forum Also. Pics. here are a PIA.
Was with a stock 8" coil also about 8" down but banged loud like on top of the ground. So I am sure it would have hit it at least 3" or more easily. Sometimes it still Amazes Me how hot a 'Proper' CZ can be. Those of us who have used them more than a month know this to be true.