Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Ex-lurker from Colorado

Posted by Picketwire 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Ex-lurker from Colorado
April 24, 2019 11:20PM
A bit about myself--My first detector after much study and advice from Revier was a Fisher f2. I just knew I had to have notch and numbers in order to succeed. I was very proud that I hardly ever dug pull tabs. I found out that even if I could get a high tone and a single number that said quarter, it did not mean it was one. I bought an Ace 250 for the wife so she could go with me but that didn't work out. The Ace lacked the numbers but seemed to find coins as well as the F2. Then I purchased a Compadre to find gold and was completely baffled by it, couldn't hear any difference in tones. I found a T2 at a super price and even though I thought I wanted notch, found out "what for?" As you can see, I was not doing anything right by constant change. I bought various other detectors and coils out the wazoo. Eventually I got a Tesoro Outlaw because everyone said learn the sounds as it is beneficial no matter the brand. Now I understand what everyone was talking about. I can see experts here that use high dollar detectors but for someone with way less experience like me, it would by like when I raced motocross: I always thought that I had to have the latest model and new tires and that if I had the best bike, I would be the best rider. I found out that a really fast rider could take my bike and beat me with his. The only way to get better is meaningful practice. That is why I am here, to get meaningful advice from the pros. I can see already that at metal detecting at an extremely high level is very complicated and have already benefited very much by lurking over the last few years. Thanks to all for the help.
Re: Ex-lurker from Colorado
April 25, 2019 12:16AM
Way cool and welcome, Picketwire.
April 25, 2019 12:52AM
Welcome picket. You’ve come to the rgt place. Just learn who to avoid/not listen to here and you’ll do good (hint/Confucius say) he who has the biggest mouth has smallest brain grinning smiley
April 25, 2019 01:29AM
Welcome, Picket. Sounds like you've picked up some important knowledge already and you'll continue to pick up more as you gain experience. Best of luck with your future detecting!
April 25, 2019 02:01AM
Welcome aboard!----The learning never stops in this great hobby for ANY of us.---------Del
April 25, 2019 04:08AM
Welcome aboard!

Learn what you have.Location location location helps too.

If you have the T2 your about set to do anything you need.

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
April 25, 2019 06:53AM
Picket,
What part of the state are you in?
April 25, 2019 02:47PM
I'm from the beautiful(?) southeast corner. How about you?
April 25, 2019 03:53PM
Picketwire Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm from the beautiful(?) southeast corner. How a
> bout you?

Hahaha, "beautiful". I ONCE drove through the SE corner on my way home from Salida. I decided to see if it was a better, flatter route than going over the pass. That was the flattest, emptiest, loneliest bit of road outside of the Oklahoma panhandle. I vowed to never take that path again!

Welcome to the forum BTW.

======================================================

You can see my videos here: [www.youtube.com]
My blog is here: [thesilverfiend.com]

======================================================

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2019 03:54PM by silverfiend.
April 25, 2019 05:27PM
Yes, sir That is the place.
April 25, 2019 06:18PM
Picketwire Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm from the beautiful(?) southeast corner. How a
> bout you?

My condolences.......just kidding! (Mostly) smiling smiley smiling smiley

I'm from the Springs area.
The only time I've been down your way was to see old Bent's Fort, and just the smell from the pig farm just outside of La Junta has scarred me for life, LOL.

Welcome to the forum, and HH,
thumbs down
mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2019 07:56PM by Mike in CO.
April 25, 2019 10:37PM
Colorado Springs is nice. My sister and her family along with my daughter live there. I was raised down here and as long as there is good fishing, hunting and metal detecting I can get along fine.