Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Warm Water Protection

Posted by okara gold 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Warm Water Protection
May 22, 2019 04:52PM
With the warm salt water season upon us... Any recommendations for body protection against jellyfish, etc.?
Or do you just use a long sleeve SPF shirt?
I know what to do in cold water. But these days are over for me confused smiley

Thanks Bob K
Re: Warm Water Protection
May 22, 2019 06:10PM
Buy a full body wetsuit called a "rash guard", or maybe a hair thicker at 1 mil. If you dont want to look like a lost surfer you can always add some cargo shorts and t-shirt over the top.

======================================================

You can see my videos here: [www.youtube.com]
My blog is here: [thesilverfiend.com]

OBN
May 23, 2019 08:57PM
I wear a drysuit up to when the water is a solid 70 plus. That is late june here, jelly fish don't start here until late July, I just wear my farmer johns, with a thin 2mm top to cover my arms, and some gloves. If we get a lot of rain they will stay further south and I only run into them then. Sometimes I do wear a long sleeve shirt which is cooler and I can still feel them thru that, no pain just a weird sensation. Never a problem. Good Luck....

Blood Member of RingKeepers
2020......Gold Rings....73....Misc Gold 1 .......Silvers ...110
May 23, 2019 09:12PM
Thanks guys. Full time now in Florida. It 's a whole new ball game here between the stingrays, jellyfish, and big fish with bigger teeth. I was in waist deep water today and a school of Tarpon was being chased and thrashed by something a lot bigger. I saw the fin and tail thrashing around and thought... dolphin. A couple fishermen came running up the beach and said it was a hammerhead shark. First time for everything!!
May 23, 2019 11:04PM
Make sure you shuffle your feet in the water, dont step. Very unlikely to get stuck by a stingray if you are shuffling along. They will just swim away then.

May 24, 2019 11:28AM
Ive been lucky with the stingrays....... been in the water nearly 10 years now and step on them all the time. You feel them wiggle..... that a clue to GET OFF. They are kind of seasonal in the Gulf.... same with jelly fish. Now i have had jelly fish stings. Rash guards ...... you tend to get a few more hits on the arms .... i assume because they are moving with the water.
May 24, 2019 01:20PM
the bad thing about jellies is that you dont even have to have one nearby to get stung. Tiny, almost invisible "arms" can break off and float in the current. They are still alive and active and will hurt like hell when they drift into you. I once got hit like this on the lip while scuba diving once.