Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Equinox + water + bluetooth

Posted by Xray 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Equinox + water + bluetooth
July 26, 2019 08:31PM
Anyone found a work around for using wireless headphone in the water ? I go in up to the chest but the headphones are typically not submerged.
Re: Equinox + water + bluetooth
July 26, 2019 09:06PM
Simple. Use a Deus 'waveguide' cable. Fix one end along the top edge of the NoxBox , attach the other to a float, eg. polystyrene block.
Genuine XP 'guides have unneccesary mouldings on the ends, so you may as well buy the cheaper simpler aftermarket ones with heatshrinked ends.
See this earlier thread:
[www.dankowskidetectors.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2019 09:12PM by Pimento.
July 26, 2019 10:57PM
Pimento is correct, of course.

Although, rather than running the other end to a float, you might run it back...alongside the shaft, up past the armrest.
You might even fabricate an antenna extension at the armrest to extend it up to the equivalent of sternum height.
Just be careful not to dunk the headphones. Mixing electronics and salt water never ends well. smiling smiley

The technical issue, is that high freq RF cannot penetrate water. Even an inch of salt water is too much.
(That's why submarines have to use huge extremely low freq antennas to communicate under water.)

The range of some of the new higher freq wifi is actually affected by the amount of humidity in the air...it doesn't even need to be raining.
A law of physics is that the higher the frequency of transmission, the more susceptible a signal is to attenuation (by things like water and soil.)
July 27, 2019 03:00AM
Thanks for the info, am a fresh water guy but I'm sure the dynamics are not much different.
July 27, 2019 08:05AM
Mike's idea about adding a boom on the rear of the shaft is a good one. Make sure the last 2 inches / 50mm is away from metal, as the end 30mm of the cable is the antenna.
Standard Deus waveguides are 115 cm long, longer than you would ideally want for the Nox, but the excess can be dealt with easily.
July 27, 2019 08:30AM
You'll get much better sound and zero audio lag by just going to the wired waterproof headphones.

I despise the bluetooth for that machine. I know the wireless appeal is one of the big selling points of the detector but IMO, Minelab missed the mark. I 100x prefer the audio from a wired pair of headphones, even while hunting on land with it.
July 27, 2019 11:02AM
I do find being "wired" has a little better sound with the right phones.......also if for some reason your machine gets away from you at least you are still tethered to it. Fresh water isnt nearly as bad as salt. Just being out there the over spray willl kill a pair of phones not designed for it.
July 27, 2019 01:25PM
On the salt water beaches I go wired. I have hearing issues and need to block as much crowd, wind, and surf noise as possible. Those little blips of tone are what I am after. With everyone and their brother swinging an an Equinox on the beach I feel my advantage is my experience. I just need to hear the targets. And one additional benefit.........If people see you with big headphones on they tend to not ask questions.
July 27, 2019 03:55PM
I like the concept of untethered but am not by any means obsessed with it, been hunting with an AT pro for the last 5 years with headphones so I am sued to them. [AT took a dump so I am getting an equinox next week, already ordered the yellow ebay phones from Hungary] No way am I going to spend $150
+ on headphones, most are drastically over priced, AT phones are about the only reasonably prices ones out there. With the detector in hand I can mess with the bluetooth option at my leisure.

I also like the option which headphones give you of playing like you can't hear so you don't have to waste time and talk with annoying people, but some people you most definitely want to talk to so its nice to have that capability. On land I tend to go without headphones period. Since I am now without a water detector and I am hitting some beaches I am going to do some wading with my Ace 400, hopefully don't end up dunking her.
July 28, 2019 03:52AM
Just be aware that the Equinox does not jive well with some headphones. The problem is the volume is too low on them. This includes the yellow Minelab, Grey Ghosts, and some of the others. I'm not sure about the ones you just bought but the others I can confirm. Grey Ghost tried to remedy the problem with a 2nd version of their Equinox head phones but those I have not tried.
July 28, 2019 10:40AM
Many of those cheap headphones have low volume. I bought a cheap pair on EBay and they failed to work at all. As with most things in life.....You get what you pay for. Do research on headphones. The beach hunting forums are full of reviews.
July 28, 2019 11:40PM
I read good reviews on this set on another forum, of course do research goes without saying. I have read all about the low volume problems as well, so if you get what you pay for, I don't know .... Not a whole lot of choices out there.
July 31, 2019 12:00PM
Its my understanding that Ron D got Tony Eisenhower involved with the GGA 2s. So they might just be a good option. I can say Tonys phones are waterproof, well designed, with very good volume....... i have 3 pairs.... Nox, Xcal and MDT. Hes gearing up for the AQ..... all he will need is the pin out and connector type. BUT..... his is wired. Most of the wireless phones use speakers.... like audio sears which has very good volume and sound quality (normally)....some have inexpensive muffs which salt water spray will damage as well as screws that arent SS. Ive seen some are using ear buds..... ive thought you could use those and just put a pair of gun muffs on over them to cut back on noise.
July 31, 2019 04:03PM
I hate to say it, but I toasted my wireless headphones from beach spray and it took a day or two and they were dead. I leave Tony E.s 24/7 now and am very happy. I got one of the first 10 made and he even did a free upgrade on them when his design evolved. He is a stand up guy!

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie