Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Another look at the Excalibur II and Equinox 800

Posted by calabash digger 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Another look at the Excalibur II and Equinox 800
August 23, 2019 12:35AM
Lets look again these two machines...Another look

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2019 12:38AM by calabash digger.
Re: Another look at the Excalibur II and Equinox 800
August 23, 2019 02:05AM
The Excalibur does have an iron masking problem more than a low conductor problem. It won't hit micro gold like gold earrings and chains but will hit the larger gold when It's not next to iron. BBS detectors have always been know to not unmask well. Still having said that, the majority of old coins I've found have been with a Sovereign w/ 8" coil. I loved that detector.
August 23, 2019 02:13AM
I like the sounds of the Excal …. and will keep it as a deep diver and back up to the Equinox.
OBN
August 23, 2019 03:59AM
Thanks for sharing the video.

Almost makes me want to go buy a Nox...grinning smiley....

One thing to remember on the Excalibur, there is the PP / AM setting...down the road you may find it offers just as much information on targets as Discriminate does. You can size the target, get a idea of it's depth. the shape of the target and with a slower sweep you can hear every target as each passes under the center of the coil. Nails will give you the double clipped signal like some PI's.....Combine with the disc mode and it's a nice setup with information on your targets.... Lots of good reading on Findmall over on the Minelab Excalibur & Sovereign Forum. But you do have to go back in time to when the forum was young.

Good Luck and show us some treasure!

Blood Member of RingKeepers
2020......Gold Rings....73....Misc Gold 1 .......Silvers ...110

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2019 04:24AM by OBN.
August 23, 2019 09:16AM
Thanks! AM mode is a no go for where I hunt... hundreds of nails...
August 23, 2019 10:56AM
AM mode is the exact mode you need to be using in those conditions. You are looking for a target.... first and for most in the water. In disc mode ..... plan and simple in disc the with a lot of nails you will never get out of NULL...... its just to slow. Like Joe said..... there is no recovery time and you hear targets near each other in PP mode...... but you NEED a PP switch to hunt effectively. BUT.....how water proof are they? IP68.... im guessing 10' max. Ive got an awfully lot of gold earrings and a few chains with the Xcal so i wouldnt say it wont find them...... but like Tom always said for the most part we are RING hunting. Ill also say...... the guy using it made a huge difference too. I know a few guys who get their share of gold with an Xcal and i dont care what other machines been out there hunting. Your problem with fresh water hunting..... and deeper than most is going to be like hunting with a PI..... VIRGIN area where corrosion is very slow. So you have to go with the Nox and do some disc/pattern hunting id say......there are just trade offs in your situation. Maybe the Xcal first to cherry pick some ...... then the Nox.