Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

I want to do this to my Equinox 11" coil.

Posted by Rick, N. MI 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
I want to do this to my Equinox 11" coil.
September 06, 2019 01:31AM
Should make sweeping in the water better. Has anybody done this?

20 2 by Rick Covert, on Flickr
Re: I want to do this to my Equinox 11" coil.
September 06, 2019 03:03AM
I remember someone did that to an 11" Fisher DD coil, and it wound up not holding it's shape properly, or something to that effect, and the coil was unstable because it would flex...
Mars Tiger 9.5"x12.5" w/ 1 bar across
September 06, 2019 03:27AM
I've had this coil before and it was light and worked great.

Think I'll go ahead do it to my coil.
20 6 by Rick Covert, on Flickr
September 06, 2019 06:45AM
Hello Rick,

Be careful, I’d hold off until you do research on removing those coil brackets. Plus, you intend to use it in the water which increases drag thus increasing flex.

Years ago, Removed six coil braces from a T-2 11” DD elliptical Bi-Axial coil. It ruined the coil stability was terrible, coil had flex from removing these braces.

Best not to risk it, you can always run it with no coil cover, that may reduce drag.

Paul
September 06, 2019 07:40AM
It's a far better idea to ADD things to the coil to make it hydro-dynamic.
Shielding those spokes may be a better experiment. Making a sheet coil-cover on the bottom is worth trying. Rounding off the left and right edges of the coil, using modelling putty or hard foam etc is something I would try.
September 06, 2019 10:36AM
Finally.....some one else besides me brought this up. I mentioned it once and people thought I was nuts. But did it would be much like the Xcal coil. Let ME know if ya do it.
September 06, 2019 11:32AM
The front two 'spokes' are angled more than the rear pair. So if you really must, remove those two, leave the rear one. Better still, replace them with new 'spokes' , going straight across, rather than angled, to reclaim the lost rigidity. Could the removed ones be re-used for this?

If you do ruin your coil, such that it's unusable, I would be interested in purchasing it for electronics tinkering purposes.
[and if anyone else has a damaged Eqx coil, please let me know ]
September 06, 2019 01:53PM
Not a bad idea making them go straight instead of an angle. So I can remove them and if I think it needs more support put them back on going straight. Great idea.

I'll send photos when done.