Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Minelab Equinox 800 comparing FE to F2 iron bias relic hunting.

Posted by Abenson 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Minelab Equinox 800 comparing FE to F2 iron bias relic hunting.
September 30, 2019 04:50PM
I've been using the Equinox for about 8 hours using the new F2 iron Bias. I thought I would do some video comparing FE to F2 relic hunting.

YouTube
Re: Minelab Equinox 800 comparing FE to F2 iron bias relic hunting.
September 30, 2019 05:50PM
Andrew..... several thoughts come to mind:
1. Sometimes FE '0'..... does better. Sometimes F2 '0' does better.
2. Your DIRT signal-strength is stronger than...TARGET signal strength!!!! ((( And yes. They are 'additive' ….. which causes these numbers to be so jumpy ))).
3. It 'seems' like...… when you are comparing FE vs F2...… that your FE '0' is on Recovery Speed 4...…… but your F2 '0' is on Recovery Speed 6. I say this because.... that's exactly 'how' the unit is responding to those targets.
4. You have strong dirt! When the detector 'breaks-squelch'..... it then reports a conductive audio tone that is correspondent with 'strongest conductive signal received'; ……………… and...…………… in your case.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,., that would be 'iron' (and salt)!!! (The actual 'target signal strength'....is weaker than the salt & dirt signal strength).
5. I am sensitive to unsuspecting subconscious-bias...…. which causes me to look for certain patterns in your video(s). I'm hardly seeing any. Only on one of the targets.... did you use a different coil velocity, short-stroke coil sweep witdth…… and maybe slightly off-center of target TDC. . . . . . . . . . . when you were comparing FE to F2. And in this one (and only) case..... the end-resultant was minimally skewed.
Bottom line: Your dirt is terrible! I can understand 'why' you use a GPX or Tarsacci in your environment! - You are forced!..... by environmental 'conditions'.
September 30, 2019 06:48PM
Interesting video, thanks for posting it.
September 30, 2019 07:30PM
Tom-Thanks for your comments, really helps me learn. My comparison videos probably don't pertain to a lot of people and I forget that.

1-I have noticed this as well outside of what is on video. I lean towards F2 on low conductors FE on high conductors in my dirt.
2-Yea we/I have struggled with the dirt around here for years, most don't understand the extent.....even those that live here. There are very few detectors that get the job done on anything over 6 inches deep. Even FBS machines struggle because they are not fast enough, especially in the fields.
3-Recovery is actually on 4 on both, so maybe that is something I should try next is adjusting recovery on F2 to see if I can get better performance.
4-Yes especially on deep targets, targets less than 4 inches deep are pretty clear.
5-I try to make comparisons as unbiased as I can, but sometimes it's hard.

Before the Equinox came out I used the Deus when not using the GPX, it was the only detector that could see deeper targets and have some added disc, at the expense of inaccurate ID. Then the Tarsacci and Equinox changed all that. The Equinox is an amazing machine in my harsh conditions, I have learned to listen to the Equinox with all it's jumpy numbers and funky tones on deep targets and can still have a pretty good idea of what I'm going to dig and if it's going to iron or not.
October 04, 2019 10:00PM
Well I finally made it to the beach for a little hunting. Actually hunting is second to just being with the wife.

But I made it out for a few hours today. Nothing worth mentioning. A handful of change. My main objective was to try the update on the Equinox.

I found the F2 scale to be a great addition to the Equinox. It was great to cruise through the bottle caps.

This update addressed a real problem for me, and the Minelab team came up with a really good stable solution. Well done.
October 04, 2019 10:41PM
goodmore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well I finally made it to the beach for a little h
> unting. Actually hunting is second to just being w
> ith the wife.
>
> But I made it out for a few hours today. Nothing w
> orth mentioning. A handful of change. My main obje
> ctive was to try the update on the Equinox.
>
> I found the F2 scale to be a great addition to the
> Equinox. It was great to cruise through the bottle
> caps.
>
> This update addressed a real problem for me, and t
> he Minelab team came up with a really good stable
> solution. Well done.

That's great to hear goodmore.----What were the settings you were using?
October 05, 2019 04:04PM
Nothing fancy. In the wet f2 was set to zero. Horseshoe was disengaged. Beach 1. Sensitivity at 20.

No iron or caps there.

I hopped up into the dry. Engaged the horseshoe to hear the iron tones and jumped f2 up to 5. Sensitivity 23. Very quick turn around to make the Equinox almost an entire new detector for a new environment.

Up until now I felt like the CTX and BBS detectors held an edge over the Equinox. Not anymore. Minelab has a made a giant step towards the total beach detector.
October 05, 2019 06:09PM
Took my Equinox 800 to a old park that I have never hunted. Was told not to waste my time that this park has been pounded. Started out hunting and first signal my brother got was a wheat about 6 inches down. Second good target was a Standing Liberty quarter 2 inches deep. I ended up finding a merq. dime at 6 inches right beside iron. Was getting a iron grunt and a high tone. When I put it in pin point it came off as one signal but, I felt that high tone sounded to good to be iron so I dug it and out pops the merq. I ended up digging 10 more wheats for today's hunt. Every old park that we have taken the Equinox to that we keep hearing it's been pounded don't waste your time ends up producing some great finds. We ended up pulling 2 silvers and 11 wheats. We probably only covered 5% of the park. We was using F2-0 so the iron really sounded like iron. Since the new update my digging up iron targets has really dropped. F2-0 has really made a difference.