Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

PLAT MAPS?

Posted by Cal_cobra 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
PLAT MAPS?
October 30, 2019 04:13PM
We have been mainly using USGS historical topo maps as well as maps that can be researched from other historical map depositories but we have a friend that seems to have stumbled onto an easy to use PLAT map site, yet doesn't want to share the site.

These are the kinds of maps that he sends us:

I'm fairly certain their BLM PLAT maps, but when trying to navigate the BLM PLAT site I got the impression they found an easier to use front end on another site to more easily pull the PLAT maps from the BLM site.

What sites are folks using to find these kind of maps?
Re: PLAT MAPS?
October 30, 2019 05:11PM
Try historical Aerials great easy to use site
October 30, 2019 05:49PM
I have a buddy who is big on those. To be honest the best sites I found just by the way they look 'aka' Victorian era picnic groves. Most I found I tried to reserch later and found nothing about them? If I see a wooded area with big trees and a water source near by I would walk in and look for old glass that has turned purple or amethyst from sunlight. If I find some bingo I have a 1800's grove. I know it is a old school way but worked for Me.
October 30, 2019 06:42PM
This is the BLM site : [glorecords.blm.gov]

But does anyone know a way to navigate it, to get to the type maps that Cal-Cobra gives a sample of ............ such that you can do transparencies / overlays, and search by GPS, etc.... ?
October 31, 2019 01:14PM
That is a great tip, Harold.

HH
Mike
October 31, 2019 01:34PM
Tom_in_CA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is the BLM site : [glorecords.blm.go]
> v/default.aspx
>
> But does anyone know a way to navigate it, to get
> to the type maps that Cal-Cobra gives a sample of
> ............ such that you can do transparencies /
> overlays, and search by GPS, etc.... ?

You want to do GPS map overlays, heres how...

[thesilverfiend.com]

======================================================

You can see my videos here: [www.youtube.com]
My blog is here: [thesilverfiend.com]

======================================================
October 31, 2019 04:22PM
silverfiend Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> You want to do GPS map overlays, heres how...
>
> [thesilverfiend.com]
> verlays/

Thanx silverfiend. That is good for ability to do overlay-transparencies. But how about the original BLM link : glorecords.blm.gov ?

Or .... more specifically, this sub-page : [glorecords.blm.gov]|st=CA|cty=

How does a person navigate THAT site, to get to the specific geographic locale they want to look at, in the first place ?
October 31, 2019 07:41PM
Nothing like a good over lay.

Kidding aside, overlaying an old 1800's map over a modern map is the bomb.....sometimes they don't line up well because of the inaccuracy of yesteryear, but, an awesome tool....and fun too.
I use this one on occasion:
November 01, 2019 04:01AM
Perry/Casteneda Map Collection

[legacy.lib.utexas.edu]