Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Explorer II Phase 2

Posted by Dan(NM) 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Explorer II Phase 2
November 17, 2019 11:12PM
Ok, I decided to go for it and dismantle the housing from the handle. I spent 1 1/2 hrs trying to loosen the glue with a hair dryer, it may have worked, but, I didn't wanna fry the electronics. So, I split the handle as far as I could, cut the wires and pulled them out of harms way. I had removed the guts so I could heat the inside of the housing, I took a hacksaw and cut the handle as close to the housing as possible.

I hooked the battery up to the machine to make sure it wasn't doa, fired right up..... I'm in business smiling smiley I drilled 2 holes in the back of the housing to run my headphone jack and my battery lead. Next I drove the pin for the camlock out and mounted a chest mount connector to the housing. I had to shim it with a couple of washers, but, it tightens up just fine.

I'm going to get a 1/4 inch Stereo Input or Output Chassis Mount Jack so I'm able to use headphones, wired earbuds or a APTX LL transmitter with APTX LL earbuds and mount it to the back of the housing. Next step was to connect a power source to the unit. IDX Monster was able to connect his RNB charger cord straight to the battery and power the machine. This will not work with the Minelab battery and charger cord. So......I cut the battery housing from the handle as close to the battery springs as I could. I cut the charging cable off the transformer and charge plug, drilled a hole in battery housing and soldered the ends to the spring connectors. I already had the power leads fed thru the housing, so I checked the connection and it worked as it should.

Next step was to open the case and solder the power leads and shrink wrap all the connections inside the housing, I tied a knot in the Minelab power cord to keep all the stress off the connections. I'll silicone everything when I thru with the housing.

Overall, it went smoother than I expected and I believe this will be well worth the time and effort once I'm done. I should have everything I need by mid week and will post a few pics then. I'll finish the front with a cut to fit cover to clean it it up. Thanks for looking and feel free to throw some advise or ideas my way.

I'd like to thank you IDX Monster for leading the way and posting a video of your mods and for taking the time to make and post some no nonsense informational video's. You seem like the kind of guy I'd like to hunt with, thank you!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2019 11:22PM by Dan(NM).
Re: Explorer II Phase 2
November 18, 2019 12:16AM
Wow! That turned out great Dan. In restrospect, chopping it off like you did accomplishes the exact same thing so as long as your inputs and outputs are all in order. It’s time to go test it out soon!
I ditched the RNB battery because of the clumsiness and weight and bought a small LIPO battery and connector off eBay. My particular one is the size of my forefinger and powers the machine for 3:45 with backlight on. When hunting it’s a bit less because the external speaker is working, and driving IT takes a bit extra. There are different sizes and maH capacities....mine is 11.1 volts and 1400maH.. According to my experimentation, the Explorer needs about 9.5v to run. Just FYI....
Awesome so far, you don’t waste time! I’m excited for you and am eager to hear your honest opinion about how it works for YOU!
BTW...has your faceplate or housing been replaced? It doesn’t appear like mine...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2019 12:19AM by IDXMonster.
November 18, 2019 12:41AM
IDXMonster Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wow! That turned out great Dan. In restrospect, ch
> opping it off like you did accomplishes the exact
> same thing so as long as your inputs and outputs a
> re all in order. It’s time to go test it out soon!
> I ditched the RNB battery because of the clumsines
> s and weight and bought a small LIPO battery and c
> onnector off eBay. My particular one is the size o
> f my forefinger and powers the machine for 3:45 wi
> th backlight on. When hunting it’s a bit less beca
> use the external speaker is working, and driving I
> T takes a bit extra. There are different sizes and
> maH capacities....mine is 11.1 volts and 1400maH..
> According to my experimentation, the Explorer need
> s about 9.5v to run. Just FYI....
> Awesome so far, you don’t waste time! I’m excited
> for you and am eager to hear your honest opinion a
> bout how it works for YOU!
> BTW...has your faceplate or housing been replaced?
> It doesn’t appear like mine...

Thank you sir, I have quite a bit of spare time since I'm laid up for awhile. I had thought about building a battery pack, I know I will nowsmiling smiley
Having the coil mounted on the S-rod works like a dream, I'll work the other bugs out as they arise. Thanks again.
November 18, 2019 01:26AM
Good report. Thanx for bringing us up to speed.
November 19, 2019 07:44AM
As one already mentioned.......I also searched "Minelab Explorer 2" in tube videos. Clicked on videos authored by Monster Tube. He has an Explorer that he hip mounts. The Explorer's sound of silver is unmistakable. Thanks

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2019 07:48AM by Arkansas.
November 19, 2019 07:59AM
Also Tube search Modified Minelab Explorer....there are some more ideas. Seen one on Ebay year or more ago, in which the control box was put in a waterproof clam shell case. The seller showed a bunch of photos of it submerged in his bathtub to prove it didnt leak. He had the 15" Wot coil hardwired. Would be great for the beach.