Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Equinox 800 using Tom D. and Neil Jones settings please

Posted by Mccrorysjewelry2 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Equinox 800 using Tom D. and Neil Jones settings please
August 26, 2019 08:22PM
I would love to see someone make some videos of the Equinox 800 using Park 1 and/or Beach 1 and also using a low recovery speed of 1-3, 0 iron bias, high sens. 23-25 using 50 tones using a slow swing in a old Park or some place to show depth on coins or other non ferrous targets using these settings and in a site with iron to show unmasking using these settings. Also using the 11 inch and 6 inch coils. Here in Indiana most places I hunt the ground has very low mineralized soil. Is there anyone that can do this on this forum please? There is no YouTube videos of anyone using the Equinox set up this way that I can find. Thanks
Re: Equinox 800 using Tom D. and Neil Jones settings please
August 26, 2019 08:32PM
My soil won't allow a recovery speed of less than 4. Had a 600 for years that I ran at 2 or 4 equal to 4 or 6 on the 800. Just recently picked up an 800 off this forum and confirmed running 3 is a no go, everything sounds like iron unless it's 2 inches or less in depth. I can do a video next time I'm out and compare Beach 1 and Park 1 with all other settings you suggested. I did a video I posted on the forum a few weeks back running Tom's settings, if you want I can get you the link. My soil is pretty bad though so depths are not impressive.
Andrew
August 26, 2019 08:50PM
Abenson, Thank you for the response. Yes would like to see your video. I'm really hoping someone can do a video using the slower recovery speeds like Tom and Neil suggested to compare to my findings in my mild soil here in Indiana. Thanks
August 27, 2019 03:54PM
For what it's worth....

My 600 drags out the signals at 1 (2 on the 800) and I don't like moving my coil snail slow. RS 2 (4 on 800) seems to work out perfectly as I have dug a few more silver coins and wheats from a couple of small areas that I've pounded to death. My new settings as of late have been (and I'm not changing);

Park 1, RS 2, 50 tones, multi, 24-25 sens, 23 volume, 7 threshold, 0 IB, 0 disc, manual GB, NC frequently.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2019 03:56PM by Happa54.
November 25, 2019 01:04AM
Changing the recovery speed from lets say 5 to 3. How will this effect the over all tone?

I've seen where Tom has suggested using 2 or 3...
November 25, 2019 02:10AM
Recovery 4 works best for me. I don't know why. My ground is mild.
November 25, 2019 02:30AM
Rick, N. MI Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Recovery 4 works best for me. I don't know why. My
> ground is mild.

Thanks I'll try that but trying to understand what recovery does to the sound you hear. Not how fast it switches from target to target... I talked to a friend and he said the tones are to long and drawn out on 2 or 3. Thats why I asked how the tone is effected or is it?
November 25, 2019 03:59PM
Got a permission to hunt a property where old timers claimed was the site of a old fairgrounds that went back to 1830's. Someone had built a 1896 home on the property and a barn and a few sheds. The old timers claimed they were told the fair was out in the field along the river. The field is probably 15 to 20 acres. So 3 of us using our Equinox 800's with the 11 inch coils then the 15 inch coils using Tom D's suggested settings started hunting. We spent 3 days hunting the field and around the house. From what we could tell the property must have been hunted a lot over the years. Wasn't a lot to be found but, did manage some great finds. Pulled like 10 wheats, 2 IH's, silver ring, silver pocket watch and a merq. from around the house. Nothing that was near the age of the old fairgrounds. So we went into the field and pulled like 30 lead round balls of different sizes and just a few coins. All targets were 7 to 13 inches deep. We found a 1840 and 1841 half dime, 1855 seated dime and a 1865 IH. After hunting for 3 days I'm still not convinced there was a fair there. Seems to me we should have found a lot more for a site that a fairgrounds would have been for 40 years. Started talking to some more old timers and they claimed it was across the road in another field from where we was hunting. It's a 40 acre field. We shall see.
November 25, 2019 06:42PM
What I forgot to say is my finds in old and new sites have really gone up since I changed over to Tom D's suggested settings. I do swing slower than I did but, not at a snails pace. All I can say is deeper targets sound off better since I started using recovery speed at 2 and 3. And the depth I'm getting is defiantly better. Weather I'm using the 11 inch or 15 inch coil the Equinox really smacks on coin size deep targets and gets great separation. I've been using bias at F2-0.
November 26, 2019 02:16AM
Kevin...…. I'm just glad that F2 '0' is not overly fatiguing for you (and other folks)!
Question for us 600 user's
November 26, 2019 12:54PM
Can anybody convert Tom's and Neil Jones settings for the 600? Are they the same? Thanks for any help....

"A Bird in the hand, is worth two in the bush"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2019 03:21PM by Tony from Tidewater.
Re: Question for us 600 user's
November 27, 2019 12:28AM
Tony...…. I 'think' I covered a fair amount of your EQX 600 question..... in the: "Minelab Equinox Owners - Question" thread. . . . . . . starting around page 5>>>to newest post.
Holler if you need more data!
Re: Question for us 600 user's
November 27, 2019 01:46PM
Thank you Tom. I appreciate your help. Tony

"A Bird in the hand, is worth two in the bush"