Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Slight change of subject - deep subject

Posted by lytle78 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Slight change of subject - deep subject
December 29, 2019 04:34AM
The AQ is all well and good, but what about the 100 meter crowd. Folks who go where I never would, encumbered by complicated equipment to penetrate the dim world beyond the full spectrum of daylight.

What had the collective output of detector manufacturers offered them in the past 10 years or so?

I’m, the market is smaller than the market for size 5 men’s shoes, but still...

Any ideas of what a dead serious deep submergence detector of high power and great sensitivity is likely to look like!!!

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2019 02:28PM by lytle78.
Re: Slight change of subject - deep subject
December 29, 2019 09:42AM
Look like?
The loudest fluoro colour possible, with an ultra-bright flashing LED or two on it. And maybe a radio-location pinger that cuts in after some time/period of non-motion.
It has to be hydro-dynamic at the business end. Coil with thin profile, rounded leading/trailing edges, no ugly 'spokes' , a clean clevis/rod connection area. The rod needs to be thin / wide on it's lower 30cm to cut water drag.
The less knobs/buttons it has the better, maybe have its functions adjustable via a smartphone, in the way that 'fit-bit' watches are.
Wireless headphones would be ideal. Infra-red could work. Both would be short-range. If the RX was located on the users wrist/glove, and the TX near the handgrip, the chances of decent operation increase.
December 29, 2019 03:41PM
what? 100 meters? Almost nobody dives that deep. It requires lots of money and equipment to get that deep, and your time at depth is extremely limited and requiring long deco hangs. thats the realm of commercial SSA saturation divers.

======================================================

You can see my videos here: [www.youtube.com]
My blog is here: [thesilverfiend.com]

December 29, 2019 04:04PM
We need a new underwater detector...
December 29, 2019 04:35PM
Good point SF, but even commercial saturation divers might want a suitable metal detector. And it would seem to me that a 100 foot or even 100 meter depth rating would not be a bad thing - sort of gives some margin.

Rick Kempf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2019 05:16PM by lytle78.
OBN
December 29, 2019 04:52PM
Amazing story of a Germany Uboat..U-455..........Documentary shares video of what it's like 120 meters down. Divers were first send under 3 minutes for the the descent, 15 minutes to inspect the wreck, 3.5 hours to come back up very slowly.

Blood Member of RingKeepers
2020......Gold Rings....73....Misc Gold 1 .......Silvers ...110
December 29, 2019 07:11PM
lytle78 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good point SF, but even commercial saturation dive
> rs might want a suitable metal detector. And it wo
> uld seem to me that a 100 foot or even 100 meter d
> epth rating would not be a bad thing - sort of giv
> es some margin.

Making a detector waterproof to those depths isnt that difficult, just expensive. Since you would have only a few needed they would be pretty much custom, hand built. you have to consider the margin of error. If you want to use it at 100ft, you need to make it able to withstand 200 - 300ft pressure. If you want to use it at 100M, it needs to be designed for 300M.

Otherwise you get the situation seen with the EQX. water-resistant to 10ft and people complain because they took it to 10 and it failed.

You can see my videos here: [www.youtube.com]
My blog is here: [thesilverfiend.com]

December 29, 2019 07:23PM
Depth ratings might actually work in the marketplace like Horsepower ratings for cars and SUV’s. Who can ever use 500 HP, but some folks make purchasing decision based on HP.

Rick Kempf
January 06, 2020 04:26PM
It would probably look like the Fisher 1280X, Rick.

HH
Mike
January 06, 2020 05:57PM
Or maybe this...

Rick Kempf