Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Just picked up a like new Whites IDX Pro w/ Mods

Posted by texkinzee 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Just picked up a like new Whites IDX Pro w/ Mods
February 27, 2020 10:32PM
A gentleman from across the pond, who did a two tone mod for this unit sent me the schematics. Anyone dare attempt it? Keith?
Re: Just picked up a like new Whites IDX Pro w/ Mods
February 27, 2020 11:18PM
I assume you mean Keith Southern? - PM it to me (if you don’t have his email) and I will forward it. Otherwise, he may see it and let us know.

It would be easy enough to get some Chinese outfit to run up a bunch of them, but who knows if they would work.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
February 28, 2020 12:26AM
I have done a few Mr. Bill's mods. but never the tone mod. would be fun to do
February 28, 2020 12:35AM
The first question I would have for the OP is...what targets are you looking for and how deep? I know you have had and sold a SLEW of other units, so what is the attraction for YOU regarding this machine? It’s not super light, suffers in fast changing ground conditions even with the mods and won’t be that good when looking deep in semi to high mineral sites. Im just curious about your motive...smiling smiley
February 28, 2020 12:44AM
Lots of other places to look - I KILLED at a recent planted club hunt with mine - lots of silver and tokens while ignoring these pesky Indian heads and buffalo nickels. All metal with quick cross check in discrim - a killer.

Rick Kempf
February 28, 2020 01:41AM
George sent you a message on FB. I have done several Mr. Bills mods.
For the two tone mod.
I have the schematics, circuit board file, etc. to do it.
But, if I recall it was not done to a genuine White's IDX. It was an add on to the White's IDX re-engineered project on Geotech. There was a thread on it at Geotech and some questions to something missing or about wires.
So if I can find myself a cheap IDX Pro I will do the mods and attempt the 2 tone mod.

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
February 28, 2020 01:48AM
IDXMonster Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The first question I would have for the OP is...wh
> at targets are you looking for and how deep? I kno
> w you have had and sold a SLEW of other units, so
> what is the attraction for YOU regarding this mach
> ine? It’s not super light, suffers in fast changin
> g ground conditions even with the mods and won’t b
> e that good when looking deep in semi to high mine
> ral sites. Im just curious about your motive...smiling smiley

Correct. I didn't see any or much depth improvement doing Mr. Bills mods on the few I have done. The big draw was that it could be manually ground balanced.
The IDX wasn't particularly deep but, for me it was an excellent detector hunting for targets down to about 5 maybe 6"----Canadian clad coins using the 6" coil.
Too bad I sold mine a few years ago. Would entertain looking for another used one if the price was cheap enough. The IDX for me was more or less just a fun machine to use.

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
February 28, 2020 03:26AM
where is Keith, I always liked his posts. I had him do the Mods. on my Whites Classic ID. I can get 11" on a dime with the 9.50 coil, and 9" on the 8" coil. He dose a very good job, I hope he can get back here and help us all. flintstone
February 28, 2020 03:46AM
I found an 11" deep IH with a Sovereign and compared the signal with a modded IDX Pro. It could not get a hit in the regular mode but switched to deep and I got a hit and was impressed with it.
February 28, 2020 11:13PM
My first IDX pro was modded by Mr. Bill. It worked very well and found me many deep CW relics while hunting in the all metal with 1D. Some Minnies were over a foot deep in Central Va. red clay. Had the 5900 DI pro with the 3 tone id.and it was very heavy.I hunt mostly colonial sites now and the IDX does well in the iron.
February 29, 2020 03:27PM
I have a mint condition IDX Pro sitting in my man cave,i have used it a few times and its a 'reasonable' detector,i have used it on some roman sites which is normally reasonably trashy but once again its just 'average',mine does not have the Mr Bill modifications and at one stage thought about getting it done,but that was about as far as it got.I have the stock 950 coil and also the 6'' and 15'' coils as well.Wont part with it but it does nothing outstanding or better than say one of my all time favourite my original green T2 with the Sharpshooter coil on or even the smaller 5'' coil as well.

So the IDX Pro is just average in my books,if i am honest i prefer my old Laser B3 which is the UK Bandido over the IDX Pro,with the 10.5'' White polo coil on that gives me decent depth but still has the superb renown Tesoro discrimination.
March 01, 2020 07:01PM
The big advantage to the IDX Pro is the slow sweep speed required for good depth and discrimination. You can inch along in the trash at a ridiculously slow speed and the detector still performs excellently in discrimination mode. No other detector can move so slowly and still work properly. With the 6" concentric, it's especially good. The recovery speed and separation ability has to be experienced to be believed.

One of the holy grails in detecting is non-motion discrimination capability. That still has yet to be achieved, but the IDX comes the closest.
March 01, 2020 07:46PM
I use mine most often with a bigfoot coil - needs the GB adjusted to give proper ID on high conductors. I also have a Goldfoot for it. That 2x6” (I think) coil is a razor for splitting goodies from trash.

Rick Kempf
March 07, 2020 11:33PM
It should also be noted that my username hasn’t changed, although my main weaponry has....I have that much respect for the IDX and how good it really is, within the confines of what it does. As has been stated, it is a REALLY FUN machine to use because it is that accurate, but lacking tone ID was a killer for me. I would estimate that over 2.5 years I put a minimum of 700 hours on it, probably more. I know many here have a great history with the Classics...it’s not by accident. They really are quite “friendly” and produce the goods from reasonable depths regularly. Me...I simply needed to go deeper with correct ID.
March 08, 2020 12:01AM
IDX...…. yes. Especially as we get older. . . . . . greater depth with accurate ID is exactly what we seek. Performance is everything.