Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

EQ800 Silver Dime TID Variances

Posted by Cal_cobra 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
May 13, 2020 11:32PM
I thought this was interesting. I've noticed that a U.S. silver dime will TID spot on at 25 when either air testing or when at shallow depths. BUT as the coin gets deeper, the TID goes up. I've seen anywhere from 27-32, the deeper the higher.

This phenomenon along with the additional modulated audio at depth, and frequently loss of pinpointing, will almost always result in a deep (9" or deeper) squeaker silver coin for me. Once I understood this pattern, I'm personally okay with that, I actually even prefer it that way because when I get a target with these conditions I have a fairly high confidence it's going to be a silver coin at good depth (I've observed similar results on deep silver quarters as well).

Are others observing the same phenomenon?

Disclaimer: Almost all of my hunt time (none lately due to C-19 SIP restrictions) is dedicated to relic hunting environs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2020 11:33PM by Cal_cobra.
Re: EQ800 Silver Dime TID Variances
May 14, 2020 12:22AM
Same with 8-9 inch wheaties also. They usually bounce from 23 to low 30's. Had a barber dime hit the low 30's once, and assumed it was a wheatie till I saw it shining in the hole. I'm like you, when I hear that deep high tone I'm 99% sure it's a coin.
May 14, 2020 03:33AM
Funny you bring this up.

I was watching this very thing this last week, but with clad dimes.

I was experimenting with some of Tom D's newer Fe2 settings in a known park environment, 3 separate outings, 3 different locations.

Shallow clad 10¢ are right at 25 on my 800 with the 11" coil, but as they get to 4-5-6", start to upscale into high 20's to 30-31; occasionally higher.

Target ID is flighty rather than a steady climb. This is with a sample size for this week of 20 clad dimes found in the field. I had 1 Merc right at 5" that was the same, ID between 25-31, flighty numbers, but the audio was correct. (50 tones)

Interestingly, and here is what throws me, deep nickels HOLD to their TARGET ID in strong fashion.

I popped a war nickel at 8" that was 13-14. Solid ID. Most nickels come in 12-13 for me whether deep or shallow and the depth give away is the modulation in the audio.

Not sure why the difference in the lower (nickel) conductors giving a solid yet as i work my way up the conductivity scale, the target ID varies.

I'm interested to read theories here.

Rich -

------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one more good target before I go.
May 14, 2020 05:16AM
The tell tale audio [50-tone] combined with the modulated audio is a tell tale sign of a deep coin, and the real fringe whispers have no pinpoint, love those kind of targets.

Perhaps Tom D. can shed some light on this phenomenon??

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, personally I like it, I think it sets it apart from other machines by providing more data, and this data set is a good one IMHO thumbs down
May 14, 2020 07:44AM
Brian, absolutely. Your description is spot on, to exactly what I have observed, and it's exactly what I look for when trying to dig the deep dimes (in other words, the ones that Tom_in_CA things are only able to be located with an EXII!)

But seriously, what you describe is exactly what I have learned -- perfect air test on these silver dimes (as expected), but then ID numbers (and audio tones of course) going higher the deeper it is, with deep ones bouncing upper 20s to low 30s. That plus the modulated audio giving a tell-tale, soft but clear sound...absolutely.

And yes, 67GTA -- some wheats, especially the newer ones -- do the same thing. The really old ones are more likely to give me lower tones/VDI -- even into the IHP range at times. But the newer ones can read well into the 30s, when really deep.

But I totally agree with Brian -- once you learn this, it's fine; I'd rather have them up-average (farther into the "big silver" range), than down-average (into the pulltab range)!

Steve
May 14, 2020 03:06PM
Cal, I have started typing this a couple times in past 3 weeks, deleted, started again....same sort of thing with my Nox and deep items.

2 deep barber dimes in the past 2 hunts that were on the edge of detection.. IDs were jumpy but all the way to low 30s. i commented to ozzie on the phone on the way home that it means i have to go slower in huge fields...good bye to coverage, but ill take it if i keep getting barbers.

ground moisture distorts it even more, i think.
at my jewelry hunting spot, got two deep silver rings..not lunkers, but pretty thin. down near the waterline (fresh water spring) where the ground is always sopping wet, the IDs in the ground were both high 38 and 39s, with some grunts...they were both very deep, and I have missed them with f75, cz, mk, g2, everything else...so not complaining. its the tone that stops me, and i really try not to look at the IDs at all when looking for deep items. I almost think that even if i hit them with f75, i would have discounted hearing both the grunts and IDs that high as iron wrap around.
May 14, 2020 05:46PM
Mr Cobra-Cal Brian : Does this FINALLY mean you will duel with me in the turf ? C'mon, bring it on buddy ! Let's head to SF or Oakland to some known deep-turf-duel test zones. Ya ready big buddy ? smoking smiley
May 14, 2020 07:42PM
Tom_in_CA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mr Cobra-Cal Brian : Does this FINALLY mean you wi> ll duel with me in the turf ? C'mon, bring it on buddy ! Let's head to SF or Oakland to some known deep-turf-duel test zones. Ya ready big buddy? smoking smiley

Clearly you didn't read my disclaimer spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Disclaimer: Almost all of my hunt time (none lately due to C-19 SIP restrictions) is dedicated to relic hunting environs.
May 15, 2020 02:00AM
Primary reason for the up-averaging ….. is mild-to-medium dirt mineralization. In particular..... oxides of iron.
If you air-test a silver dime with the EQX...…. it (mostly) will not up-average.
Also...…. there is a slight propensity for higher conductors to have a greater (larger) percentage of up-averaging.

(If you have medium-to-high mineralization...… the tables turn...…..,,,,,,,,, and ALL non-ferrous conductors will down-average...…..right down to 'iron' readings).
May 15, 2020 02:00AM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
> Tom_in_CA Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Mr Cobra-Cal Brian : Does this FINALLY mean you
> wi> ll duel with me in the turf ? C'mon, bring it
> on buddy ! Let's head to SF or Oakland to some k
> nown deep-turf-duel test zones. Ya ready big bu
> ddy? smoking smiley
>
>
> Clearly you didn't read my disclaimer spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
>
> Disclaimer: Almost all of my hunt time (non
> e lately due to C-19 SIP restrictions) is dedic
> ated to relic hunting environs.

C'mon, admit you like angling for merc's more than those pesky seateds and gold coins. C'mon , I'm calling you out ! grinning smiley

But seriously now : Turf is a "sport unto itself". There's something fun about the strategy involved. But yes, it's not the way to bag seateds or relics in CA, for the most part.
May 16, 2020 06:24PM
Tom_in_CA Wrote:
> Mr Cobra-Cal Brian : Does this FINALLY mean you wi
> ll duel with me in the turf ? C'mon, bring it on
> buddy ! Let's head to SF or Oakland to some know
> n deep-turf-duel test zones. Ya ready big buddy
> ? smoking smiley

all sites are open,EXCEPT "sidewalk easements"
you guys will be too busy "shoveling piles" to detect!

(h.h.!)
j.t.