Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Bad Dirt-O-Meter?

Posted by IDXMonster 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Bad Dirt-O-Meter?
September 27, 2020 08:24PM
I was going to ask on Toms MDT thread but in order to improve visibility....
I have heard the term “bad dirt” from the inception of my detecting career about 10 years ago and STILL am unclear as to EXACTLY what this means. I know about GB numbers on the Equinox and the suggested sensitivity number on the CTX....but in order to REALLY know what is causing high GB numbers and low suggested Sensitivity numbers....what is needed? Is there an actual instrument that one can buy REASONABLY that would indicate iron or salt or carbon or...? Such as an in-field probe of some kind? I have an entire fairground where it is all but IMPOSSIBLE to achieve depths of more than 6” in 90% of it.
If the MDT is lurking in southern Wisconsin somewhere I would PAY someone to come test it out at this site. If it were to recover coins at the 8” level I would consider one immediately, cuz this isn’t the only place I have like this, and these places have HIGH old coin potential. It is aggravating as HELL knowing that the targets are there and nothing I’ve tried will break the barrier, not even the mighty CTX!
Re: Bad Dirt-O-Meter?
September 27, 2020 10:53PM
The easiest option is to use Fisher f75 detectors, Fisher gold Bug /F19... or Teknetics T2 or Teknetics G2 ...
These detectors have meters of iron mineralization ... Fe3O4-magnetite ... the number of measured Bars .. will tell you well about the level of mineralization of the terrain.

0-2 Bar Fe3o4 ..- low mineralization- you will lose about 10-15% of the maximum range..detection ..

3-4 Bar Fe3o4 ..- medium and stronger mineralization..detection reach is reduced by about 15-30% of the maximum range ..

5-6..Bar. Fe3o4 very strong mineralization ... count on a range of 30-45% less ... as if it were in the sand.- or in the air.

7Bar ... Fe3o4- Extremely strong mineralization range is reduced to about 45% -50% and less ...

7Bar Fe3o4 is about 4.4% magnetite .... enough for some detector or coil to stop working properly ...

A detector designed for such a level of mineralization can work properly ... Not every detector can do it .., but there are enough detectors that can detect it ...

Other detectors that have a mineralization force meter include Deus detectors, which also have a mineralization point bar ....

Another excellent detector is Whites SpectraV3 on 3F multifrequency on a 10 "DD coil ..where in the Ground Probe function at Rx Gain 1 .. it shows very precisely the force of a amount of mineralization in% magnetite .. in all 3 frequencies ...I tested the Spectra V3-10 "DD coil on my" Black Sand "Box 4.4%magnetite, 12%magnetite, and Box with 33% magnetite .. and the results fit the percentage ..

Other detectors that have mineralization meters are Detectors Rutus Argo 6.6 khz, Rutus Optima/Jupiter 16khz, AKA signum MfD, and some detectors Nokta -Makro ..

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2020 11:34PM by EL NINO.
September 27, 2020 11:05PM
EXCELLENT info El Ninõ! I think I can cough up someone around my area with one of those machines, perhaps they would let me borrow it to see what is going on. THANK YOU!!
September 28, 2020 01:25AM
Yes...... very true. A Teknetics T2 or Fisher F75....... or Deus will be your best bet to discovering mineralization data of your dirt.
September 29, 2020 12:30AM
If you would like a deeper dive into soil characteristics:

[www.minelab.com]
September 29, 2020 01:40AM
Thanks for re-introducing me to that BB! The first time I found that I was spellbound, what a great read! I LIVE for that stuff, the more you know...well....the more you know! Thanks!!