Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Did you know...?

Posted by PulltabPirate 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Did you know...?
May 26, 2011 02:39AM
Did you know that 1982 and older pennies are made from mostly copper? Of course you did! Did you know that it only takes 146 of them ('82 & earlier) to make ONE POUND of copper? Did you know that as of today, copper is trading at $4.11 per lb.? DO THE MATH! I sure hope your saving those Copper pennies!! ( There worth almost 3 cents each & God only knows what tomorrow may bring!) I'd love to tell how many I have but it's almost embarrassing/Obscene! Yes, I know that it's CURRENTLY illegal to melt them down but again, WHO KNOWS what tomorrow may bring! HH. (I also admit that I toss the Crap/corroded "Zinkies" into the woods!)

Been swingin' a White's since the 70's - 5 machines, Currently an XLT & Fisher F75 LE - 50,000 finds, 30,000 (or so) keepers. Published in the White's catalog. Always looking for good/decent hunting buds! Get in touch!
Re: Did you know...?
May 26, 2011 03:10AM
Don't take this lightly. If you have $1000 in copper pennies.....you have approx $2700 in copper. I have been saving them for years.

Remember at/around 1968......when a silver dime was worth almost 12-cents?!?!?!!!!!!
Pirate......Re: Did you know...?
May 26, 2011 03:30AM
I dig those little buggers (copper pennies).......copper will continue to escalate in value.......as the costs of mining keeps rising year after year........plus diminishing supplies of natural resources. Copper ingots will make an excellent 10-20 yr investment for the portfolio IMHO.
Re: Pirate......Re: Did you know...?
May 26, 2011 01:02PM
Zinc penny:
If the intrinsic value of a 1-cent coin is 0.6-cents............than it is worth 60% of it's face value.

Silver 10-cent dime:
If the intrinsic value of a 10-cent coin is 270-cents.........than it is worth 2700% of it's face value.

Copper penny:
If the intrinsic value of a 1-cent coin is 2.7-cents...........than it is worth 270% of it's face value.

Silver coins are no longer in circulation. Copper pennies are still in circulation (even though we are 30-years past the last minting of copper pennies).

What is it............on the open market(s) today ((stock market, commodities exchange, futures exchange, stocks, 401K's etc..........))..........that you can acquire a 270% profit? ((((( FOR FREE! )))))

If you had $10,000 worth of copper pennies..............you would have $27,000 of copper; a $17,000 profit.

Food-for-thought.
Speaking of copper what does it look like in raw form
May 26, 2011 05:57PM
I have an old copper mine here close to my house (2 mile's away) .....is it something that would be on top of the ground or in veins down deep?

The mine closed in the early 1900's ....

I have seen float copper from up north Michigan area...usually pretty large pieces with a nice green patina. scraped along by the glacier's...Not sure what it would look like down this way?

Any thought's

Keith
May 26, 2011 07:31PM
Hi, Just a friendly reminder before anyone starts melting pennies it is illegal and there is a very stiff penalty for doing it,so don't get caught...(heads up)....The scrap dealers are on the lookout for melted copper ingots and even beer kegs etc..... You can melt your silver coins all you want legally ....JJ
May 27, 2011 12:17AM
There are a few dealers that are just starting to collect them.............but not for melt-down purposes; rather, investment purposes.
May 27, 2011 02:16AM
Hi all,,Tom I was not insinuating that you or anyone else had intentions of melting the coins down....I just brought that up for any new comers that might have some kinda get rich scheme in their minds....Trust me I pondered the melt down thingy a few times LOL....Some day it may be legal to melt them down so it would be a good investment that you can't lose at..I am very fortunate and have been saving pennies for years...JJ
May 27, 2011 03:28AM
Why melt them, Just sell them to dealers like we do silver coins. That is not illegal? Keep them as bullion. Besides if someone wanted to melt them and pour them out flat, a simple punch would make them look like scrap fron a machine shop project and would not arouse suspicion. I may start to roll mine lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2011 03:29AM by coinnut.
May 27, 2011 06:10PM
I bought $200.00 worth of 1980 uncirculated copper 1 cent coins at the time they started making them out of zinc, and have been saving copper pennys every since. They add up
May 31, 2011 02:25AM
Keith, copper in the ground does run in veins and also pockets. Sometimes the pockets are in hundreds of tons. It looks just like new pennies when found. Of course, once exposed to the elements and air it will oxidize and turn green over time. FYI...