Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Equinox unbalance drawback.

Posted by Badger in NH 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Equinox unbalance drawback.
March 18, 2019 03:23PM
One drawback to the Equinox is that being top heavy, it has to be carried upside down. I was out relic hunting some woods the other day, tripped over some branches and fell forward. I had my shovel in one hand and the detector in the other and put out my arms to break my fall. The detector hit the ground and being upside down, the first thing to make contact was the control head. Now it's cracked where the head meets the handle and the waterproof seal is broken at the bottom enough to see the electronics inside. Amazingly, the detector still works, even though the head is now bent to the right.

Bummer! This would not have happened if the Equinox wasn't so top heavy. So, word of warning. Be very careful to not fall when carrying the Equinox because it can cause major damage to the detector. I haven't decided what to do yet. Does it sound repairable or is it a lost cause? I'll probably end up using some epoxy putty to at least make it usable.

I should probably contact Minelab at least to tell them what happened, but I doubt there is anything they can do.

Edited 15 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2019 02:36PM by Badger in NH.
Re: Equinox unbalance drawback.
March 18, 2019 03:34PM
A detector is one thing a broken bone is another...we have lots of oldtimers on forum and as we age bones become brittle...break a hip and expect a long recovery so be careful out there..
March 18, 2019 03:39PM
It wasn't that bad of a fall. It happens every once in a while in the woods. No dig deal. The point I was trying to make was that detectors are more vulnerable when carried up side down. Nothing would have broken had the pod been pointing up when being carried.

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2019 09:36PM by Badger in NH.
March 18, 2019 03:56PM
It will be interesting to see if ML replaces it for you. I suspect that they might. good luck

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
March 18, 2019 04:35PM
Anytime a detector hits the ground damage could result. No matter how designed balance wise. Just glad you are not hurt. Anytime we walk with both hands full we are at a big disadvantage balance wise ourselves. We use our arms and hands for balance when we walk subconsciously. And by doing we keep ourselves upright loads of times. Pert near change our CG to keep up off the ground.
Yeah let a tight rope walker try to walk without a pole. Or without arms and hands.
March 18, 2019 04:50PM
That's what is nice about a Tesoro uMax Detector as it can be broke down and easily fit in a backpack for going deep in the woods to hunt that long lost Victorian era Picnic grove. And also carry one extra nine bolt just in case an no chargers out there.
March 18, 2019 08:33PM
Exactly the reason I've been considering the Golden Mask Shaft Conversion. I don't think I really have a need for a carbon fiber rod setup (not really an in the water hunter), but the ability to collapse the rod to backpack size would be mighty convenient.
March 18, 2019 09:16PM
Gee , and when everyone said it couldn't happen.
Call Minelab and try to find out what the repair bill on your $800 detectors control head costs you since it's not repairable. I suggest you sit down and when you consider reselling it in the future consider the how that will affect a buyer's decision.
I think the most unbalanced part of the Equinox is most of the ownerssmiling smiley
March 18, 2019 10:08PM
Minelab says they will replace the control pod for $180 plus shipping. I think that's a pretty good deal. cool smiley
March 18, 2019 11:01PM
Give that man a kupie doll!

Seriously, I am not surprised.

Minelab had for years a reputation for being very agressive not only for detector pricing but for spares/repairs pricing. Those who suffered from this were often pretty open about their opinion of the whole business. I mean, contrast it with, for example Tesoro (RIP - pause while I wipe away an actual tear), Whites and first Texas whose repair policies have been largely somewhere between wonderful and benign.

Fast forward to now - who is this company pretending to be Minelab. First they destroy the market for the CTX and Excalibur with their Equinox pricing, then they get a new repair subcontractor set up who seeems, by all accounts, to be doing awesome work - and now the sneaky devils (masquerading as Minelab) are replacing entire control modules for the price of a few gourmet pizzas! Will wonders never cease.

OK, I’ve had my fun, but seriously if this is one more sign of a whole new approach to the hobbiest detector market by Minelab, then the rest of the industry ought to take notice.

What cred do I have for my opinion in this matter - I have resolutely been a critic of pretty much everything about ML except for the performance of their machines. Now - even I must wonder if a new day hasn’t dawned.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
March 18, 2019 11:08PM
Badger in NH Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Minelab says they will replace the control pod for
> $180 plus shipping. I think that's a pretty good d
> eal. cool smiley

Good deal Badger.

Shoveler looks like you blew it bud.
March 19, 2019 01:01AM
shoveler Wrote:
> Gee , and when everyone said it couldn't happen.
> Call Minelab and try to find out what the repair b
> ill on your $800 detectors control head costs you
> since it's not repairable. I suggest you sit down
> and when you consider reselling it in the future c
> onsider the how that will affect a buyer's decisio
> n.
> I think the most unbalanced part of the Equinox is
> most of the ownerssmiling smiley

smart money says carry the detector in a carrying case with a strap for slinging it over your shoulder..

(h.h.!)
j.t.
March 19, 2019 03:53AM
Badger in NH Wrote:
> Minelab says they will replace the control pod for $180 plus shipping. I think that's a pretty good deal. cool smiley

Egads, a whopping $180!!! hot smiley

Glad I was sitting down for that colossal bill, I'd have to work a whole hour of overtime to cover that one eye popping smiley
March 19, 2019 10:55AM
Cal..... we knew this was going to be a pricy repair...... or replacement since they cant do many repairs. Cheaper than i thought it would be...... whats it cost to replace a coil on an Xcal.. or about anything repaired by ML? $100 bill an hour .... plus the repair and BAM he has a new detector. Beats the heck out of buying a NEW one. So at least we have some idea now of what replacing the box/handle costs. I dont remember seeing them post any repair prices yet...... in fact Keith at PA still isnt doing repairs as far as i know.
March 19, 2019 11:26AM
This may have been a special one time deal because they felt sorry for me. It might not be the standard replacement/repair cost.
March 19, 2019 11:57AM
Hopefully not....... or many of us will have to set down lol. Well maybe we wont need a lot of repairs. Ive been impressed thus far with all the hours i have on it in the water.... only the expected things....... cuff and coil ears went for me.... both replaced FAST.
March 19, 2019 12:41PM
You really can't single out the 'EQX" in this regard!
You'd also have to criticise any 'tall standing metered machines', such as the White's XLT, DFX, V3, Spectra V3i AND the CTX: the CT just had to be carried upside down.
But, having said that, I would agree that Yes, the 'EQX' is a pain in the butt to carry [ long distances ] into and out of sites and Yes, I did have to remind myself to carry it a bit more carefully after the sound of the meter crashing into foliage obstacles that were sticking up as I trudged across several fields to get to the flat one where I wanted to detect.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2019 12:42PM by Des D.
March 19, 2019 01:16PM
Des D Wrote:
> You really can't single out the 'EQX" in this rega
> rd!
> You'd also have to criticise any 'tall standing me
> tered machines', such as the White's XLT, DFX, V3,
> Spectra V3i AND the CTX: the CT just had to be[
> /b] carried upside down.
> But, having said that, I would agree that Yes, the
> 'EQX' is a pain in the butt to carry [ long distan
> ces ] into and out of sites and Yes, I did have to
> remind myself to carry it a bit more carefully aft
> er the sound of the meter crashing into foliage ob
> stacles that were sticking up as I trudged across
> several fields to get to the flat one where
> I wanted to detect.

Thank you for pointing that out, Des (surprised it took this long). There are a number of machines built the same way. Not just a Nox thing. It doesn't matter how you carry any particular machine, rifle, bow, or fishing pole. If you fall on it just right or wrong... as in this case...it's gonna break. Ultimately, I think gravity is to blame smiling smiley.
I'm glad you were not injured, Badger!

Dean
March 19, 2019 01:24PM
You make it sound like I fell off a cliff or something. I just tripped and fell forward. There is no way I could have been injured.

I disagree with you that all detectors are just as vulnerable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2019 01:27PM by Badger in NH.
March 19, 2019 01:45PM
I don't know why my post was all in bold? Weird.

A guy doesn't need to fall from a cliff to be injured. Like others also stated, I'm glad you weren't injured. I didn't say ALL detectors. Read Des D post.

Dean

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2019 01:47PM by bado1.
March 19, 2019 01:57PM
It doesn't have to be much of a fall...local in his 70's basically just sat down hard when he lost balance and ended up with two fractures in his pelvis...no operation needed but 2 months to heal..
March 19, 2019 02:08PM
EBadger in NH Wrote:
> You make it sound like I fell off a cliff or somet
> hing. I just tripped and fell forward. There is no
> way I could have been injured.
>
> I disagree with you that all detectors are just as
> vulnerable.

Yeah,
Some detectors might have faired better damage wise. Like those 4 pound ones. Go ahead and get one and lug one of those around detecting. The price we pay when we use lighter weight detectors.
Autos are the same way.
So folks can buy and use what they want. Realizing there are tradeoffs involved.

Pod type design obviously has more standoff distance wise off the rod vs s pole design. So goi;g through limbs and branches and tall weeds s pole design is better. Again s pole not usually as balanced when sweeping.

Can’t have a detector that satisfies all (whatevers) and be resaonably priced using the materials available keeping weight in check.

You aren’t the first and won’t be the last to seriously damage a detector from a fall or having to ditch the detector to free your hands and arms to break a fall.
Main thing is you didn’t get hurt.
Anytime one falls injury can result. No matter how young or old. Older one gets though odds do go up.

Guess you could get yourself one of these.
[m.youtube.com]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2019 02:56PM by tnsharpshooter.
March 19, 2019 09:25PM
Any detector with a pod is fairly safe in a fall situation as long as the pod is pointing up when you carry it. If the pod is pointing down, the risk of damage goes up dramatically. I still love the Equinox. I'm just going to be more careful not to fall with it from now on.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2019 09:40PM by Badger in NH.
March 20, 2019 09:42AM
Have had my fair share of falls down hills, falls jumping off hedges and broken detectors.
March 20, 2019 05:01PM
Just throwing in my 2 cents: I agree with Rick on the improvements in Minelab service repair in the US- fast and friendly (reasonably affordable IMHO). Also that other than a Deus, most detectors are susceptible to damage from impact. It seems Prius builds are selling better than Hummers, so to speak. It looks like the Equinox profile is the trend from what I see in new units coming out.
Risk is part of life. Repair or replace is so much cheaper and easier than medical bills and recovery issues. Most of the time I think we don't have time to think, maybe just react. Just be grateful if your guardian angel is in a good mood!

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
March 20, 2019 05:16PM
I give up. smiling smiley

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2019 06:34PM by Badger in NH.
March 22, 2019 05:26PM
I sent the Equinox in to the service center on Wednesday, and Friday I get a call that they have replaced the control pod and are sending it back that same day. Talk about fast.

Total cost with shipping both ways was $223.

I was told that this was a special one time deal. The standard replacement cost is normally a lot more than what I paid. Nice people and extremely fast service.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2019 05:28PM by Badger in NH.