Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Tom, when hunting the dry sand with a gold bug 2, what size coil do you use, and does a bigger coil lose sinsitivity to smaller (micro) size jewelry?

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Seriously considering buying one this week, just for this purpose and want to make sure I get the best coil for the job at hand. Thanks....Stuart
Hi Stuart,

The 10" elliptical is the best general purpose coil. The 14" is too big for most applications..........and the small 6" is too small ...unless trash content is severe. Make SURE you have the correct scoop/sifter.......or you will hate this type of hunting........for wrongful reasonings. You hardly lose any performance with the 10" coil.....vs.....6" coil.
Thanks Tom, I will have the right scoop. It's kind of funny when you think about it, all this expensive equipment and a really cheap scoop becomes so important. I would have liked seeing you figure that one out....Stuart
Never underestimate kitchen utilities. A couple of years ago, I picked up a small 6" hand held noodle strainer (I'm assume that's what it's for) at the flea market from one of those dollar vendors. It will hold even the tiniest bits of tin foil, etc.. It's been my micro-gold 'scoop' ever since. I still use my beach hand scoop first, then after determining it's passing through, the strainer scoop comes out of my pouch.
Thanks Gary. That's exactly my way of thinking. Big sand scoop first, miro scoop if needed. Have you had much success with this method as far as jewelry goes?
I've found a few stud earrings, charms, etc., but not as much as I'd hoped, but it's mainly my fault. I just don't prefer that type of hunting in the summer when it's more lucrative (can you say hot, hot, hot) and unless the tide is way up, I find myself back down in the wet sand after a short run. I am really impressed with how well my F75 LTD works in the dry sand - almost too good. She really gives me a workout and tests the old peepers for looking for the target sometimes.
Thanks for the imput Gary. I've got my CZ6a for land and Whites Dual Frequency for water. I just keep wondering how many of the micro targets I am missing. I will find out next beginning next week. I think it will be an asset. A lot of times I hunt late into the night because of the heat of summer. If I don't care that much for it, I will use it for nugget hunting.