Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Decent detector to keep in the car,,, in Fl.

Posted by Esteban 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Decent detector to keep in the car,,, in Fl.
June 02, 2011 11:22AM
I live in Fl. & hunt exclusively with CZ's. Quite often, I have found myself needing a detector to just keep in the car when I find a new place to detect. I surely don't want my car , a hatchback with everything in plain site, to be broken into & my CZ stolen !!! I am looking for a cheaper, lighter, smaller , alternative that will work pretty well in Fl. soil conditions. [ little mineralization ] Price NMT $250. What do some of you recommend ?? THANKS !
Re: Decent detector to keep in the car,,, in Fl.
June 02, 2011 12:38PM
A used CZ.
Garrett ACE 250
Fisher F2
June 02, 2011 01:14PM
Tom has some good ideas and a used CZ strikes my fancy as thats what you are used to..

Idea is not to keep everything in plain site...heck an empty purse could cause a busted window kind of thing.

Go to a junk yard and find a wecked car with the same kind of carpetting and neatly cut out a section to lay over the unit works much better as a blanket would stand right out laid over the unit...

Heck in my job have seen broken windows over a couple of bucks in change in plain site usually a juvenile thing...and windows are expensive to replace...along with broken locks and such...
June 02, 2011 02:00PM
Most of the time I have the CZ5 in there & covered up with an old blanket. I still would hate to lose it.It seems to be working at its peak right now. I was thinking about an F-2, or maybe a Tesoro Compadre, because of its size, warrantly, weight, & price.
June 02, 2011 02:09PM
Hi, I would look into a Tesoro possibly a used Cibola etc....These machines are super small and should work good enough until you can return with your standard deadly arsenal (if needed)...The control box on these machines is about the size of your fist and run on one 9 volt battery...But if you feel the need to have a VDI machine, than any of the above detectors mentioned would be a good choice too.... Good luck....JJ
June 02, 2011 07:42PM
If you could go a little more on the money I would throw one of the New gold bugs into the mix. Maybe a used one as they are starting to show on some of the forums. One other thought is if your hatch back has a spare tire well inside under the carpet use it for the detector and leave the tire in sight. Who wants to steal a tire. On second thought you never know.
HH
June 03, 2011 02:19AM
Whatever machine you buy try and get one that allows the control box to be removed so it can be stored in a small cooler. I also live in Florida and when I take my AT PRO for days in the car, I remove the control box (two screws) and store it in a small cooler in the car. It only takes a few minutes to reattach the control box to the shaft when I am ready to hunt. I have not had any problems doing it this way.

Jim
June 03, 2011 03:09AM
Get yourself another CZ (3D/5/6A) disassemble it to it's basic components and store it in a styrofoam cooler in the back of your hatchback. That way it'll be out of sight and the cooler will offer some protection against the heat while stored in your car.
June 03, 2011 01:45PM
All good ideas & suggestions. Thanks.
June 03, 2011 02:51PM
godigit1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you could go a little more on the money I would
> throw one of the New gold bugs into the mix.
> Maybe a used one as they are starting to show on
> some of the forums. One other thought is if your
> hatch back has a spare tire well inside under the
> carpet use it for the detector and leave the tire
> in sight. Who wants to steal a tire. On second
> thought you never know.
> HH

LOL... I had a can of tomato soup stolen once off the front seat of my car. I figured I did a starving person a favor smiling smiley
June 03, 2011 07:53PM
I like Beachcomber's idea.