Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

How hard could it be?

Posted by tmanly 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
How hard could it be?
June 08, 2011 06:31PM
It is possible to assign a tone to different functions on a cell phone, email, text, alarms, certain callers etc.. So how hard could it be to have a detector that you can assign a tone to a specific VID or a range of VID numbers? This would be a feature that I think that I would like. ding, silver quarter , ding dong, nickel, and so on with several tones to use. I am just posting this here because I know this forum gets a lot of attention from all manufacturers.......

Tom in SC
Re: How hard could it be?
June 08, 2011 06:53PM
Garrett has a 'money' tone!

........Understand your valid concern. I introduced this concept to John Chernekoff .....Chief DE at FRL......back in 1999. There are major benefits/attributes in the user having the ability to assign one unique tone to a conductive band-width of choice.
June 08, 2011 07:01PM
I have been asking this myself for a long time. The XP Deus has a function which does precisely that with all four tones, just look at the manual. I was under impression that the AT Pro had something similar, but I guess I was mistaken. Very silly really. With an exception of Whites V3i, I can't think of any other platform that looks even close to today's computers. Most detectors are 6 to 7 years behind. I guess this is what happens when the market is so small. There have been many improvements in filtering, and who knows, maybe its harder then it looks.
June 08, 2011 08:25PM
Tom in SC,
That is somewhat like one of the features of the Whites V3i. You can go in and assign any pitch you want to any TID number or range of TID numbers. That is a very handy feature.

Of course you are talking dual pitch like the Garrett bell tone, which ruins recovery speed, but still comes in handy sometimes. You can somewhat create dual pitch tones on the units that let you assign tones, like the V3i, and the DFX Mixed mode. You could alternate tones for a particular target spread or larger ranges to give you a different type of audio for different ranges of targets.

For example, on the simpler DFX, turning Mixed Mode on give you a high tone (your preference of tone pitch)for accepted targets and a low tone for rejected targets. You could also turn Tone ID on for more audio info for accepted targets. Since most object hit at more than one TID number segment, you can program a little more audio info into the accepted target segments. The high coin range and any other accepted range would be high tone, the iron range would be rejected, giving a low tone, and for the rejected non-ferrous range, reject all the odd TID numbers, thereby giving a mixed audio reponse for them. Turn on Tone Id for a little more mix. Or, what if you accept the numbers you want to reject so that they get a tone you chose, and turn on tone id for the rejected targets which are really the ones you want to to hear? Then do a little mixing of both on some of the ranges? You get the picture, there is some customizable audio varibility available in the limited DFX. Imaging the V3i where everything can be customized.

So Yes, you can almost create the dual pitch audio responses today on some units without the loss in recovery speed associated with the current dual pitch bell tones.

HH
Mike
June 08, 2011 09:31PM
Thanks to all. With processor speeds getting faster and faster and size smaller and smaller , it just seems that users should be able to customize their machines to their liking. I like to hunt by just tones and sound response. That is the reason for my interest. A machine with a lot of analytical information for me to study is not a plus for me at this time.
June 08, 2011 09:34PM
I agree. Adding some extra tones........that are audibly distinctive (to cover varying hearing levels) from each other is childsplay with current digital technology. Cmon First Texas.....you can easily do it. Plus, do you realize that a sizeable majority of your customers have hearing issues due to age, military service etc. A simple technological advancement with huge benefits to your customer base.
June 08, 2011 11:14PM
My thinking is the more the detector has to do the more power it may take and it may even slow down the detector less for me is better.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
June 08, 2011 11:30PM
Perhaps I am missing something or have better tonal ID than you but in conductive your explorer should stop you in your tracks by a dime tone yep quarter is different and nickle is a piece of cake even without a meter..We all understand of course that dime tone could be a piece of copper pipe and the nickle could be shotgun shell...
Sort of feel your a ferrous mode type of guy and again impossible to seperate the junk which imitates the goodies and that could be the reason a ding is not always a ding and a dong is not alsways a dong...kind of thing...
June 08, 2011 11:37PM
I'd like a machine that will sound off on silver with a Chewbacca sample.
June 08, 2011 11:58PM
Its as common and as easy as "POLYPHONIC"
June 09, 2011 12:36PM
I believe this would be a great feature on detectors. I have poor hearing & could set the tones to ones that I can hear much better.